Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: February Secret Pal Swap Closed January 31st 4pm

Quilty-Louise,
    I hear ya on not feeling well. I too haven't felt like myself lately but I have to work especially this week, its court week. Hope your feeling better!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    Just a quick and brief update.

I have not yet felt up to making something special for my SP, as
    well as I have not tore open the envelope to repack and add the
    stuff I left out.

This will get done I HOPE by this weekend.

Broke down and went to the Dr today because I was not feeling
    any better. The results are:

No flu, and no Strep throat. What I do have is a bad case of the
    "bug" that is going around plus a double dose of ear infection, and
    mild sinus infection.

I honestly can't remember (outside of having surgeries) when I
    was so wiped out of energy.

Hope to be back to a semi-normal (? if that is even possible for me)
    functional state soon.
    Awwwww {{{{{Louise}}}}}!
    Teresa
    "I collect wind chimes."

Blog Entries
    Feel better soon Louise!

Blog Entries
    Sorry you have been feeling un-well, Louise. I can relate as I have been I'll for the past two weeks and even though I am better, I still have no energy and can't shake the sinus headache. Hope you get well quickly!!

Hope you're feeling better soon Louise!
    Did a little shopping for my SP today - got some candy that's RED, some Fatquaters that are Purple and ____ and of course some chocolate! More clues tomorrow SP!

I received one of my packages today!

Vanogay thank you so very much, I love to crazy quilt and I can use everything you sent.

Vanogay sent me yards of fabric, buttons, rick rack and tons of embellishmenst for crazy quilts, she also sent me a large container of beads, a mason jar filled with lace, pattern and butterfinger's sorry they didn't make it in the picture.
    And check out the skull wall hanging she made me... yep I like skulls... A BIG THANK YOU!!!

Name:  swap 2 2013 010.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  282.2 KBName:  swap 2 2013 009.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  301.4 KB
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Very nice Wanda!
    Teresa
    "I collect wind chimes."

Great package Wanda!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gzuslivz View Post
    Here is my experience with re-gifting. For one of my first swaps, my sp said that she like purples and flowers and she wanted a mug rug. So, I got busy and chose some purple floral fabrics. I made a mug rug for her and used special machine stitches for quilting. I put a lot of thought into it. The very next month, I saw a photo that she had given it to her sp. My feeling were hurt because I followed all her likes and she still gave it away.
    Same thing happened to me. And she even named who it came from! I spent a loooong time making it and then the very next month -- off it went. Like you, my feelings were hurt and I was more than a little shocked. I know that space is limited in some homes, but if you don't like something or don't have room, maybe consider re-gifting it to your guild?
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    SP, sit tight. It's only the 7th. I haven't put your package together yet, but I will very soon. Will probably mail on Monday.
    Had a very good meeting with the new lawyer yesterday and we left feeling more confident than ever before. That was followed by a good meeting with the SBA inspector. Fingers crossed! We also got in contact with two builders who do modular homes and are hopeful that we will find an affordable solution. I had to get the assessed value from the city and county and was shocked that our teeny weeny cottage on a 40x100 plot was valued at just under $450,000! More than a little crazy -- and I cannot imagine anyone paying that much for it pre-storm.
    Krystyna

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    WOW, Krystyna! I guess that makes you "land rich and money poor". Glad to hear things are taking an upward turn. Have they put in regulations about how high you have to rebuild? Across the river from me, where it floods every so often, they have to be almost a whole story up. Can't imagine how that would work out up there with winter winds.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, Nancy, I just don't understand it. 25 years ago you could buy a cottage here for $30,000. As time went on the young, upwardly mobile discovered Long Beach and it became both the "Hamptons West" and the bedroom community of choice for commuters from New York City. Beach front condos with an ocean view were going for just under $1 million. It is a city of great contrasts, however. There are plenty of poor people here, too. The city tore down the adult homes for the mentally ill and build pricey high rises, but there are still public housing projects and lots of little rickety homes that illegally rent out rooms. Working for the census in 2010 was quite an eye opener for me.

Our hope is to rebuild a very nice modern home -- sell it -- and move south to a place with no snakes, no alligators and no ocean! But that is still just a hope with a lot of prayers behind it. And yes, we have to raise the house to about 8 feet above the land. FEMA's ICC program gives you up to $30,000 to do that, but in our county $30,000 doesn't go too far at all.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Quiltnut be careful if you have that "Sinus Flu" thing. My 9 yr old DGS was sick for about 7 or 8 weeks...every time he felt better he got sick again. It really takes the energy out of you! I hope you are better, Louise.

Krystyna...what delightful news for you and your family!!!!! Prayers are there for you...I do love and miss the Atlantic Ocean but always was a bit in awe of it. Lost my swimsuit top once at Jones Beach...I was mortified until I realized I luckily did not know anyone that saw me...my family was down the beach. I dream of the NJ shore but know it is not like it was at all. I was lucky..we only did summer rentals and never followed the urge to buy!

That was one great package sent from Vanogay!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Awww, come on now ... snakes and alligators can't help how they look. I just don't look at them. I totally agree with the moving to a "warm" place. Just don't go so far south that warm tends to turn to "hot".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    Greenini, am I your secret pal? I think you are the first one I have seen that is a real possibility!
    Sorry, but it's not you! We have some very dear friends in Skokie and have been to Ill several times. So you don't fit that requirement! My SP is a bit more South then Ill.

On another note, just as we were on the way out the door last night, a nice large package was on our doorstep. When we got home, I tore into it in bed and had to fight DH for the flashlight. Yes, Vanogay, we can surely use it for camping, or around here, we're always losing power. And thank you for finding the second book in the Steig Larsson trilogy. I'm really looking forward to reading it. I just had a quick look thru the farmer's wife sampler quilt book, looks great. And a pack of Twizzlers! A yo-yo maker and binding tool. A cute quilting notepad. A pattern, a pack of needles, 3 marking pens, a cute tub with bobbin holders on an empty spool (hadn't thought about storing them that way, thanks), a cute little to go gel hand cleaner, a darling hand done stiletto, a prescious little thread catcher made out of a wonderful oriental golden fabric and filled with tea bags, some wonderful fabrics in bright, bright colors and a lovely batik in purple and turquoise, plus a very nice note.

Thanks, Vanogay!!

Blog Entries
    Sharon, no delightful news yet. Just because they assessed it at that, doesn't mean a darn thing. I still have to come up with the $$$ to rebuild. Miracle needed!

Nancy, we're looking at northern Georgia by the Tennessee border - I cannot abide by anything kind of animal without fur or feathers. And last night my husband added that wherever we go, they better not have any kind of weird bugs either!
    Krystyna

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    we're looking at northern Georgia by the Tennessee border
    Too bad not the TN/VA border!
    Teresa
    "I collect wind chimes."

Blog Entries
    http://ecoterrariumsupply.com/images...0Centipede.jpg

K, check this out! In Vanuatu, we have NO poisonous snakes or spiders at all, but we do have these nasties, which aren't native, but brought in, probably on some dirty logging equipment or something, and they have really thrived. I have seen them in our yard up to 7 inches!! They give a really painful, but non-lethal, bite.

We would love to have you in GA Krystyna, or Tennessee either, I have a place in both
    Vicki W

Blog Entries
    SP, sit tight. It's only the 7th. I haven't put your package together yet, but I will very soon. Will probably mail on Monday.
    Had a very good meeting with the new lawyer yesterday and we left feeling more confident than ever before. That was followed by a good meeting with the SBA inspector. Fingers crossed! We also got in contact with two builders who do modular homes and are hopeful that we will find an affordable solution. I had to get the assessed value from the city and county and was shocked that our teeny weeny cottage on a 40x100 plot was valued at just under $450,000! More than a little crazy -- and I cannot imagine anyone paying that much for it pre-storm.
    They are paying replacement value. What it will cost to put your little cottage back!

Hey, Krystyna, I'm almost on the TN/GA border - about 200 miles north. We have neat weather (except right now, it's cold and we have had snow), but normally, quite nice. Only problem, everyone here speaks funny - course, they think I speak funny, too. I've had to learn to listen slower. There's some neat areas between Chattanooga (on the border) and Knoxville (up I-75), but they've had some miserable tornadoes. Watch out for them. Ringold, GA, just over the border had a real bad tornado. The only quilt shop was demolished. They've since rebuilt and I try to go there every so often when I have a day I want to drive. Can't think of any wierd bugs this area might have - nothing that I've seen. Don't like the stink bugs we get, though.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Power Poster
    Good luck Krystyna hope all works out for you. Prayers.
    Don't think I saw any clues for me.

Blog Entries
    Krystyna, come straight across the US from your home to the NorthWest. We haz great summers and springs! Also, I hear the NE is gonna get a big snowstorm again, none of that here either. lol, plus no weird bugs. Most places we don't even worry about fleas or ticks.

Wanda Lou: Great Package!!

Re-regifting: I don't think I've had anything I made given away, but then I don't make too much lately. I would be hurt though if I made something and someone re-gifted it the next time. Books, mags, patterns are fine, but hand made stuff? If it isn't wanted, give it to someone off the board
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Nancy, we're looking at northern Georgia by the Tennessee border - I cannot abide by anything kind of animal without fur or feathers. And last night my husband added that wherever we go, they better not have any kind of weird bugs either!

Krystyna, I am headed to the Eljay/Blue Ridge Ga. this Saturday. It is gorgeous there. They had 4-5" of snow but it is all gone now. I am hoping to find some cute quilt stores to get something that I can't buy here for my SP. My SP likes vintage items.

Okay, I want to add my two cent to the re-gifting. Please, if I send anything, please regift if it is not your style, taste, or you have too many. It will not bother me. I always try to make things I think others will like, but totally understand if they don't. I often crochet scarves, and not every one likes them. Sometimes I take the chance.

Clue set #3
    SP #1 - Your state animla is the American Buffalo and your state motto is "Equal Rights." In addition, you collect something related to sewing.
    SP #2 - Your state animal is the gray squirrel and your state motto is "United we stand, divided we fall." In addition, you can do outstanding things with a 1800's bureau.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. ― Albert Einstein

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast