Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
February Valentines Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign up til 1/30/14 >

February Valentines Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign up til 1/30/14

February Valentines Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign up til 1/30/14

Old 01-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by pbadder View Post
I just posted a picture of my block. I tried it the way Grannyrosie said and guess what it worked. I did not measure two inches around the corners. After sewing squares together I put it on point and like she said measured 1.5 from center for each cut and it measured perfectly. When I sewed them all together block looks great it is the one with the red valentine material and pink. Go to my album and take a look. Now I only have to cut material for four more blocks for this set, and one more for my white with red one. Take you so much Grannyrosie . Oh make sure when you mark your line or cut that your arrows on your ruler line up with the seams very important. Let me know if this method works for you Jaba

Glad I could help. I guess that's why my psychologist said I have an Engineering brain. LOL. Now wasn't that easier. Had to edit, cause I didn't go look at your block before noting first comment. Your block is perfect. When there's a will there's alway a way. Girls rock. Yea.

Last edited by Gannyrosie; 01-12-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:47 PM

Gannyrosie I thought if pbadder was going to keep doing this, I was too!! Thanks so much for the kick in the butt that I apparently needed for this block to make sense, your way of cutting made all the difference for me and I needed a challenge push of I can do this. Thank you to you both. Have to write Joan again and tell her I want in, now need to buy more fabric. All's good my Bronco's won today, now next week, much tougher team. Here's the set I made while watching football today.[ATTACH=CONFIG]456263[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf1816.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Gannyrosie I thought if pbadder was going to keep doing this, I was too!! Thanks so much for the kick in the butt that I apparently needed for this block to make sense, your way of cutting made all the difference for me and I needed a challenge push of I can do this. Thank you to you both. Have to write Joan again and tell her I want in, now need to buy more fabric. All's good my Bronco's won today, now next week, much tougher team. Here's the set I made while watching football today.[ATTACH=CONFIG]456263[/ATTACH]
I've only join this to be challenged, I've been doing simple blocks just to get my sewing better. Been working for 30 years and watching grandkids. But if there's a will, there's a way. We're on a roll. My only other issue is when I sew the last 3 rows together to make the complete block, somehow my machine doesn't like the thickness of the joints, ( my carpenter skills showing ). I'm wondering if I should lay my seams open? I'll get it. Now for me to wait for material to go on sale. I was testing with scraps I received. Let's go Ladies, we got this. Go Bronco's since my Saints couldn't beat the rain.

Last edited by Gannyrosie; 01-12-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Jaba, it looks great. Glad you took the challenge.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
That's great, Grannyrosie. As far as I'm concerned, whatever method works for you is fine with me. As long as the end result matches what I'm asking for, you're good to go!!

To clarify, the secondary colors - red, pink, black or white - do not have to be a solid. The idea is to choose something that will compliment the Valentines print.

I made another block to double-check the center square. Here's mine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456157[/ATTACH]

This one came out better than my first example probably because I was paying much closer attention to what I was doing. LOL

Jane
Looks great Jane, my problem was, when the last three rows were sewn together my points were being cut off, so thats' why i went from 1/4 to scant 1/4 to last seem. I helped get that point.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Lay the seams open and try, I had to go slowly over those intersections so the needle didn't "kick". I'm glad I did too, thanks to you and pbadder for the bump I needed. Love this QB and everyone's encouragement.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie View Post
I've only join this to be challenged, I've been doing simple blocks just to get my sewing better. Been working for 30 years and watching grandkids. But if there's a will, there's a way. We're on a roll. My only other issue is when I sew the last 3 rows together to make the complete block, somehow my machine doesn't like the thickness of the joints, ( my carpenter skills showing ). I'm wondering if I should lay my seams open? I'll get it. Now for me to wait for material to go on sale. I was testing with scraps I received. Let's go Ladies, we got this. Go Bronco's since my Saints couldn't beat the rain.
Gannyrosie I have my seams opened in the back of my blocks and it worked fine for sewing. I cut my squares to finish my first two sets of blocks that I messed up on, and also cut fabrics for sets 3 and 4 so they are all set to go now. Glad this method worked for you too Jaba I knew we could figure out a way to do this right thanks to Gannyrosie us girls accomplished our challenge. This is first time making this kind of block. I plan on using my blocks I receive for a Valentine's day quilt. I will probably machine embroider valentine designs on blocks to use in between the ones I get from this group. Happy sewing ladies and thanks again Gannyrosie.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Love it jaba looks great.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 AM

I was going to say 2 sets for me, but I better go try one first. LOL But I am sure it will work!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 AM

Very impressive Jaba. Keep up all the wonderful creativeness. We're such a resourceful group.

Jane