Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
February Valentines Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign up til 1/30/14 >

February Valentines Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign up til 1/30/14

February Valentines Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign up til 1/30/14

Old 01-11-2014, 11:17 AM

Some blocks I'm doing for these sets I am not satisfied with, as my middle triangles end up two different sizes after cut and then when sewn together in block points don't match. I measured 2" around sides, when I do the first cut it looks good, but when I go to do second cut triangle looks smaller than first cut. Any suggestions as to what I can try to get my middle triangles to match and be same size. My middle piece after all cuts measures 3".
Old 01-11-2014, 11:24 AM

After sewing the 4 blocks together my square does measure 11 1/2" and I make sure all my seams are 1/4" . Instead of measuring 2" around sides maybe need to alter that someway to make them center triangle to end up same size. Any input would be appreciated. I really love the block. I know I have time to finish these so hopefully will find solution to my problem. I also line up my seams up and down and side to side with line on my cutting board so everything is straight before starting my cutting.

Last edited by pbadder; 01-11-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:30 AM

pbadder don't have any suggestions to make your corners line up except maybe pinning them so that they aren't so far off, or check to make sure you measure the 2" in from each corner right.
I'm not positive but I thought we had to use white, pink, red or black solids for the other 2 squares
Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Pat - your center 1/4 square triangle should measure 3" after cutting, 2 1/2" when finished. I don't try to 'square up' that particular piece before the rest of the piecing. Are you using a large 12 1/2" square? if so, use the 4 3/4" line on your center seam to start squaring. Turn & repeat using that same 4 3/4" line on your acrylic square.

Not sure I answered your question?? Hope so! Keep at it - - - -

Jane
Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 AM
ro
Banned

groovy i agree. i went 2 weeks ago and thought of it was too soon. i dont see anything i like and wont spend money on what i dont like.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 PM

pbadder, I'm an idiot! I cut everyone of mine wrong, used my 4" ruler, centered it down the middle, cut on each side and then turned it and did the same thing. Must say everything matched up but the center square is lots bigger. Just cut 1 according to directions again and that center wasn't 3", sewed it away. middle 4 square matched and row matched but not the diagonal to it. Don't know if I'm making sense or not but glutton for punishment did another one, same thing. Guess I'll pass the Valentine's swap and just have a swap with myself to make some wall hangings and runners. Maybe we'll get the old pattern back for the next one. I'll watch what you all come up with and see if you get it mastered. Maybe it's just the ice backs on my back from 3 steroid injections yesterday, it must be freezing my brain too!!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
Pat - your center 1/4 square triangle should measure 3" after cutting, 2 1/2" when finished. I don't try to 'square up' that particular piece before the rest of the piecing. Are you using a large 12 1/2" square? if so, use the 4 3/4" line on your center seam to start squaring. Turn & repeat using that same 4 3/4" line on your acrylic square.

Not sure I answered your question?? Hope so! Keep at it - - - -

Jane
after I sew my 4 6" squares together I measure 2" top and side at each corner. Than before I do any cutting I line up my seams top and bottom so the seams are on lines on my cutting board. Then I use my long big ruler and put one side by my one 2" mark say left top corner mark and the other side to match 2" mark at lower right side than cut across. That's my first cut and everything looks good. Than I take ruler and put one side on top left side 2" mark and the other side of ruler to line up with bottom lower right side 2" mark. I do the same with cuts 3 and 4 but they are opposite corners right top and lower left side. When done my center triangle square does measure 3" square but the triangles are not the same all around one is smaller than the other. I don't have problems squaring up block to 9 1/2" it is just my little middle block that opposite triangles are not the same one is smaller than the other. My center cut pieces do measure 3" wide and center one is 3".

Last edited by pbadder; 01-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:35 PM

Do I need to use a special ruler to do the cuts?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
pbadder, I'm an idiot! I cut everyone of mine wrong, used my 4" ruler, centered it down the middle, cut on each side and then turned it and did the same thing. Must say everything matched up but the center square is lots bigger. Just cut 1 according to directions again and that center wasn't 3", sewed it away. middle 4 square matched and row matched but not the diagonal to it. Don't know if I'm making sense or not but glutton for punishment did another one, same thing. Guess I'll pass the Valentine's swap and just have a swap with myself to make some wall hangings and runners. Maybe we'll get the old pattern back for the next one. I'll watch what you all come up with and see if you get it mastered. Maybe it's just the ice backs on my back from 3 steroid injections yesterday, it must be freezing my brain too!!
Don't feel bad Jaba I did about six blocks before I really realized my problem, but I am determined to conquer it and get it right. We have till March to get them done. I will conquer my problem.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 AM

Ladies, I"ve read all the post, and am starting these today. But I am still confused or maybe it's a question. I know I use the one focal fabric (valentine) per set of 6. I understand to choose the other fabric ( 4 choices). The question is does the other fabric have to be the same per set. Could I do like 2 red, 2 white, 2 pink, 2 black. or 3 reds and 3 whites. Maybe I need to go take my Cymbalta and read this again. I"m new to all these, so forgive my ignorance.