Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
FUNKY Chicken Block Swap - Mail Date April 1, 2010 >

FUNKY Chicken Block Swap - Mail Date April 1, 2010

FUNKY Chicken Block Swap - Mail Date April 1, 2010

Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM

lavandula girl...Those are just tooo cute!! I can't wait till we swap cause I want one of each ya know!..

btw-Sandpat...how many block would we need to do to get one of each? Just asking.. ;)

Oooh and here's something I did cause I was thinking of doing another set... BUT... that white fuzzy stuff around the rooster... well that's the stabilizer... I forgot to put the fabric UNDERNEATH the hoop and put it on last.. :roll: :roll: :roll: not one of my better days.. :oops:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-64535.jpe  
Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Actually, the stabilizer looks pretty cool. I thought it was intentional.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:49 PM

The beaks on mine are yellow flannel, and the combs are red felt, but I color tested the felt and it doesn't bleed. (I color test by soaking a piece in HOT water, then rubbing it vigorously on a piece of white fabric. If it doesn't mark the white, I call it good). The combs are sewn down with a single line of stitches, so they're kinda dimensional. Since a couple other folks chose to do flappy wings, I figured I'd do floppy combs instead. I've never seen the show you guys are talking about... when is it on? Is it a kiddie series? Mine are too old for it, probably. The last kid-centered animal show I got to watch was Zaboomafoo! Glad you guys like my chooks... now I have to figure out what I'm going to do on the other blocks...
Old 01-20-2010, 04:50 PM

Oh! I like that, Tuesy... the stabilizer does look intentional. Go edit your post, and tell everyone you came up with a way to make a fuzzy chicken!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Holy monkeybuckets! I just looked up that Peep Show (ha ha ha) and there is a character who DOES look a lot like my chooks. Good grief! Oh well, at least it isn't a complete resemblance...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bettia
BRT, those chickens are very cute. what did you make their combs and beaks out of? Is it felt? If so, will it bleed if it gets wet?
I tested a piece, threw it in the washer. (Although I did not prewash the pieces used in the quilt blocks.) The felt got a tiny bit pilly, but did not bleed. :)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Actually, the stabilizer looks pretty cool. I thought it was intentional.
I wish it was cause I thought it look pretty good.. until I remembered that I didn't have any fabric underneath.. then I wasn't so happy..

Originally Posted by lavandula girl
Oh! I like that, Tuesy... the stabilizer does look intentional. Go edit your post, and tell everyone you came up with a way to make a fuzzy chicken!
:lol: :lol: You think they'd believe me? :lol: Maybe I need to make a fringe chicken..only problem, I don't know how to do that one yet..
Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by lavandula girl
Holy monkeybuckets! I just looked up that Peep Show (ha ha ha) and there is a character who DOES look a lot like my chooks. Good grief! Oh well, at least it isn't a complete resemblance...
Yes, the only down side of that show is the name . . . it doesn't sound all that good when your toddler asks to watch the "Peep Show". LOL. But it's a great show none-the-less. Science lessons, narrated by Joan Cusack. And for those of us in Oregon, it adds to the humor when the duck and beaver are at oddds with one another.

Please excuse the hi-jack of this thread. Back to chickens . . . I have my patterns and fabrics ready to cut. Next week, hopefully I'll have some ready to post. Still need to finish choco/raspberry swap, IRR, . . . etc. But I'm sure enjoying what everyone else has done!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 AM

After looking at recent posts/pictures, it is apparent that the "funky" gene has passed me by. This is a pic of one of my sets. It is not finished (stitching around beak and waddle), but I think it still lacks in the funky department. I wouldn't want it to stand out or look out of place on this quilt. All the recent pics are soooo cute and drastically different from mine. I am thinking about withdrawing from this swap in order to keep the theme consistent. Maybe I needed to be in a regular chicken block swap. But I don't want to screw up the number of blocks promised for this swap. What do you all think?

"Funky"less Chicken
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65116[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65111.jpe  
Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Lisa.....NOOOOO!!! I think your chicken is perfect for this swap...really cute! I love the fabric you chose for the body. I think you are being too hard on yourself (just like we all usually are). Besides...all have not been posted..some (like me) haven't even started our blocks yet, so how could you judge? I think you need to stick with us and enjoy the ride.

Tuesy...so far, based on what everyone has told me...we have 21 swappers and 32 sets promised. Anytime anyone wants to see...go to page one and click on the link in my first post for the group activity page.