Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
FUNKY Chicken Block Swap - Mail Date April 1, 2010 >

FUNKY Chicken Block Swap - Mail Date April 1, 2010

FUNKY Chicken Block Swap - Mail Date April 1, 2010

Old 04-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Love your chickens deranged! Nice layout.
I'm working on mine but not ready to sew it together yet.

I found what I want for the backing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grobleto/343596935/page2/

Wouldn't that be cool as a moose?
:-D
Old 04-24-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm guilty of not posting a picture yet. I should be downloading pix early this week and will put one up then. I'm pondering something . . . I have 8 or 9 scrappy plaid blocks from the Quilting Bee One Block Swap . . . I'm no longer doing that swap and don't have enough for a quilt . . . I'm wondering if I might combine my scrappy plaids with my funky chickens . . . twould be quite a stew. Hmmmm . . . I'll have to lay it out and see. I could use other plaids for fillers, border, etc. Just thinking out loud here. Maybe I'll post a pix of that too, for opinions sake.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Susie....that flock is just too great!! I saved the pic so I can do something like it sometime. I love it!! I looked like it would be sooo easy!

Jen, can't wait to see what you are cooking up....I think the plaids would look good...one of the larger blocks had a plaid background and a runner chicken and it looked great! I don't know if you got one or not.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Susie....that flock is just too great!! I saved the pic so I can do something like it sometime. I love it!! I looked like it would be sooo easy!
I would love to attempt it but I'm not sure how it would work with quilting the front. I thought of quilting the back then the front separately each with a thin batting but how would I put them together? Maybe just tie them. If I had a machine that did decorative stitches I could join them that way. Or just outline the chickens with a darker color and quilt the front with white and hope it's mostly hidden on the back. Lots of ideas, not much time and little real ability!
It is lovely to look at. Can you imagine the thoughts going on in that little worms head?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Okay, finally a picture of my flock. I love them all! Thank you everyone!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-6059.jpe  
Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

They sure look cute all laid out Sew....I can't wait to get to mine on my "list"...a couple of deadline type projects are ahead of it...but its getting lots of thought time!

Susie...I don't know about the quilting would work...hadn't thought quite that far, but its a good point....hmmmm.....I'm guessing that if you did like a panto of some type all over it wouldn't matter much. I usually do more "custom" type quilting on mine though...but you know a cross hatch might just work well on a chicken quilt.....I'm thinking........OUCH! :wink:
Old 04-26-2010, 06:07 AM

Sew Connie: Love the blocks and layout.

I made my big boy. I made it 15 x 42 but didn't like it. I didn't have any light chicken background fabric. I cut it down to 12 x 36 and liked it better but it still needed something. I added the sun but it doesn't show up much. I also added some flowers. I like it much better now.
[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...nbigboy001.jpg[/IMG]

I have one more fill in block to applique around and one little fill in to add and then I am ready to sew all my blocks together.
The one chicken that wasn't sewed around the applique was coming up so I took the time and sewed it down. The other one that had straight line sewing worried me so I also sewed that one down. Another block I needed bigger and another smaller! :-D

This has been quite a learning experience for me and I have loved every minute of it.
I hope to have the top finished soon.
I will post a picture then.
I'll worry about the backing later........
Old 04-26-2010, 06:24 AM

I just remembered I saw a chicken quilt probably on google images that was quilted with an overall chicken wire pattern. It might be just the thing for this quilt. I can only do free motion but it's something to think about.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 AM

Susie I love your big chicken! What a great idea!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 AM

I need to make a big old Foghorn Leghorn to add to my blocks :D