Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
International Fabric Swap - Sign-up will close on January 5, 2012 >

International Fabric Swap - Sign-up will close on January 5, 2012

International Fabric Swap - Sign-up will close on January 5, 2012

Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 AM

I was trying to find Made in America fabric, but sadly it doesn't exist anymore.

So I'd like to swap fabric I've found in town that I really like and hope the recipient agrees.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM

count me in sounds like fun.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Do you know where these mills/factories are located now. At one time the were in RI where I used to live along with the yarn factories and you could get a discount on fabric or yarn. I really wish they would make stuff in this country again and bring some jobs back to this country. Just wondering. Sue
Old 08-01-2011, 02:18 PM

I'm excited about the swap I've never done one and can't wait to see what we get. I think for me no matter what I get I will be happy with what I receive. I will pick up some from my area being in Fl we have a lot of hisbicus fabric among others. It's just the fun of sending and receiving fabric in the mail. Lets have fun. Sue
Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ging10ging
I'm excited about the swap I've never done one and can't wait to see what we get. I think for me no matter what I get I will be happy with what I receive. I will pick up some from my area being in Fl we have a lot of hisbicus fabric among others. It's just the fun of sending and receiving fabric in the mail. Lets have fun. Sue
AMEN, sisters!!!!

Blessings!
Carole
Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 PM

I think certain prints or styles are more popular in certain areas and the manufacturer's take that into account so even if it's the same company the fabrics would/might be different. That's what I was thinking when I first saw the swap. When I went to a quilt shop in the west there were TONS of southwest fabric that I don't see in my area. I bet the same is true for the new england area when it comes to the ocean/beach prints. I could not find any here. So I think just sending in material you find locally is great and if it has to do with whatever is popular in your neck of the woods that's even better.:) Just have FUN!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Carsey
OK........ We have had a few concerns about not having enough international swappers. Also, some of the countries do not have manufacturers in their own countries. (you know that a lot of the fabrics in the USA are now made overseas anyway) NOW..... how about if we (everyone - USA and ALL the other wonderful countries) send fabrics from our own areas! That way if we have fabrics made in our countries we can swap them. If we don't have fabrics made in our countries, we can swap the fabrics that we have in our areas!! Either way, it will be fabrics from around the world!!!! Let me know what you think!! I think we would be able to get more international swapper this way too! I will wait to hear from you all until Wednesday and then I will decide whether or not to change it on the activity page.

Blessings!

Carole
Sounds good and fun!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ging10ging
Do you know where these mills/factories are located now. At one time the were in RI where I used to live along with the yarn factories and you could get a discount on fabric or yarn. I really wish they would make stuff in this country again and bring some jobs back to this country. Just wondering. Sue
There is still some yarn produced. The cottons that are being produced here are knits. Connecting Threads uses American-grown cotton, but alas it also had to look overseas for manufacturers.

China has a large market, Indonesia, India and I believe Japan (but I'm not sure).
Old 08-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by oldcatlady
I think certain prints or styles are more popular in certain areas and the manufacturer's take that into account so even if it's the same company the fabrics would/might be different. That's what I was thinking when I first saw the swap. When I went to a quilt shop in the west there were TONS of southwest fabric that I don't see in my area. I bet the same is true for the new england area when it comes to the ocean/beach prints. I could not find any here. So I think just sending in material you find locally is great and if it has to do with whatever is popular in your neck of the woods that's even better.:) Just have FUN!
The west coast has a really interesting collection of fabrics. I love to surf those web-sites. Our area is more traditional, but we do have an interesting avenue for batiks.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM

Thanks for your reply too bad things are not manufactured here anymore. It would bring back a lot of jobs. I'm orginally from RI and we used to make fabric & yarn there but some of those old factories have burnt down. Coat's & Clarke used to make their thread there my husbands aunt worked for them for about 30 yrs. I guess those days are gone. we need to make our country weathy again. Don't know if people would pay the price. What places on the West coast do you look for fabric? I've already been picking up some FQ for the Swap from my area. I've never seen Southwestern down here. Sometimes we can find seashells. Sue