Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 31 >

January Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 31

January Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 31

Old 01-04-2015, 05:17 PM

I have finished my nb and pc but would like suggestions regarding stuffing pc with other than polyfil and where do you purchase the stuffings. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:21 PM

At a quilt shop you can find something called crushed walnut shells, I believe?

I will check out my Christmas Cacti & see if the leaves are different. Thanks, Dwina. We're taping Downton Abbey so don't give anything away! Hubby gets up very early in the morning so we record all our shows & watch them as we can.

JuneBillie, Mother's-in-law-tongue is the sanseveria I mentioned earlier. It's a great plant -- can't kill it! Mine keep having babies so I have tons of them. If you need any cuttings of anything, let me know. Or baby plantlings. You mentioned sand -- you can get the proper soil mix for African violets from Lowe's or any place that sells soil, but when I don't have the right soil, I use what I have. Transplanting is a big job. I meant to plant something someone gave me on Friday called a Prayer plant. Never saw one before, but I meant to put it in a pot -- it's still in a plastic bag.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 PM

JuneBillie, I think the stores will be getting their seeds soon. It's a little early, but not too much longer, I think. It always surprises me to see seeds when there's snow on the ground. I haven't seen any yet though.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

quiltjoey you can get crushed walnut shells at a pet store, reptile dept.
some quilting stores sell emery also. that's expensive I've heard.
otherwise. most of us use poly or cotton batting. have fun.
All the ones I get are polyfill and I just use mine for display.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

ctyankee thank you. Yes, I have little babies coming up from the sanseveria. It does seem like a hardy plant. I want to have some fresh herbs growing in the window to use on our food. My kitchen window seems to allow anything to grow. It's just a small window above the sink, but the plants love it. Well, I guess they are getting all the mist from the faucet too.

ctyankee, one year my husband came home with this little mini green house. I am all for using it, but don't know where to put it. It's not a table top one, it stands about the size book cases stand up against a wall.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:35 AM

I love Downton Abbey! What a wonderful show last night. I got Downton Abbey fabrics.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:58 AM

It was 12 degrees out today. I had to take my DM for her bloodtest and then on the ride and had to get groceries. The wind chill is -7. I was glad to get home and then got a phone call and now I have to pick up my DGD at school. So much for that. I love Downton Abbey too and watched half last night and then the rest this morning. I always had plants and only have the 2 cactus and 1 pothos and one philodendron. Then I realized why. My windows don't have any sills. One has a small one that you can't put a pot on it. I do have a small fish tank that I have for my moss and a few other glass dishes with moss in them. If I forget to water them and they get brown I just get more from the National Park. I love moss. I noticed that my brick pathway outside has moss in the cracks. I also have some in my brick wall near my garage. Let's see, I have one hour before I have to leave. Maybe I can get some sewing done.

Everyone have a great day
Old 01-05-2015, 12:01 PM

I would like to get wool roving for my pin cushions any one know where to find it? I have also used saw dust as a filler, hair from the beauty salon works great as well, and I have used sand. Love to experiment with different materials for filling. Today I start on the PC so better get busy!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

my swap pal is due to get her pkg today. no word yet, so again, the po might have lied.
hope she likes it.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Lynnie, remember that not everyone has the luxury of having their mail delivered directly to them. Some have to actually go to the post office to pick up their mail. The package could have been delivered to the post office but not picked up yet.