Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 31 >

January Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 31

January Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 31

Old 01-04-2015, 06:49 AM

Nice pc and I love the fabric and your tree wallhanging is really nice. I noticed that you have 2 different colored flowers on the same cactus plant. I didn't know you could root them that way and I'll have to try it. Mine are blooming again. I had heavy rain last night and it's raining again today but it's 50. This winter has been unusual and we are down 9" of snow. That's ok by me as I don't want to see any. It's supposed to snow Mon night into Tues. I'm glad to see that online dating is working. I'm still in a sewing slump but at least I did pick out the fabric. I thought all day yesterday it was Sunday.

Everyone have a great day
Old 01-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Banned

We got home from the cabin yesterday morning, by the time we unloaded
the Jeep, unpacked, and such I laid down took a nap.

So I did not start working on the pincushion, and needle case yet.

I met my hubs on Yahoo Personals Sept 12, 2000. He placed an ad on that
date, 5 minutes later I replied to him and the rest as they say is history. We
will be celebrating our 15/12 anniversary this year (that is 15 yrs together &
12 yrs married). We married on Sept 12 because that was that date we met,
but it is also EXACTLY 3 months between our birthdays.

It has been snowing off & on here in CO for awhile. Sometimes dumping
a couple inches or so, while at other times less than an inch.

All I can say is this:

I WANT WARMER WEATHER!!!!!!!

LOL
Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Lynnie click on sis's name then on view profile then on albums to see the pictures of the cactus. She has some really pretty ones. She also raises African violets. They are really pretty also. It's been snowing flurries here off and on all morning. Todays high suppose to be 22 tonight low 8. I'm so tired of the glummy grey days we been having. I miss the sun. Have a nice SUNday everyone.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I love Christmas cactus. years aot ( I mean about 40) I got my grandma one,
she lived in Florida at the time, when I went down about 2 yrs later. that thing
was a bush. I guess the Florida weather did it. it was sp pretty with the hot
ping flowers. does anyone know if it's kitty safe? my Zoey likes to be fussy about
things, and likes to taste flowers and plants
Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM

I'm pretty sure it's safe around cats.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:05 PM

Oh, yes, I have quite a few Christmas Cacti around the house & they're perfectly safe for cats. I'm sure they do grow much better in Florida! Most of mine bloomed in time for Thanksgiving, one for Halloween, the rest for Christmas. I don't know if they're confused or confusing me!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 PM

I have 2 and they bloomed near Thanksgiving. Someone on tv said that they are Thanksgiving cactus but now mine are blooming again so are they New Year's cactus? When I lived in NH I could grow African violets. I tried them here and killed them all. I can't grow any kind of ivy either.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:24 PM

I have many African violets, too. At work people think I have a green thumb because my plants do so well there. Hah! They don't see the ones I have at home! Last May I bought miniature African violets because I had this idea of putting each one in its own terrarium, but I never got around to it. Just as well -- they were NOT miniatures, just tiny plants in tiny pots that grew into big plants! I got them at a florist, too, after hunting them down for 3 years. Paid more for those tiny plants (because they were so cute??), but I really wanted miniatures! I have ivy at work but in the past I was never able to grow them so I just leave them there. In water. I really have to get them in soil one of these days. I have spider plants all over the place (home & work), & Arthur loves them -- a little too much! He always has one he can call his own ... but it's not necessarily the same one! I love succulents & I have one very spiney plant at work named Harry. He tried eating my poinsettia last year. I got that poinsettia plant for Christmas in 2010 (afound it on my desk at work) & it's been sitting in my office for the past four Christmases. Someone told me after the first Christmas to just throw it out, but I never had a poinsettia before & I couldn't bring myself to do that to a great plant. So it blooms just in time for Christmas every year. I have some other plants -- sansevieria, bamboo (which I guess isn't "real" bamboo??), a strange plant with orange flowers & no name, don't know what else. Last year my Christmas cacti kept re-blooming, too, but many of them are large & woody, so my plan is to get a baby from each -- they're sitting in water on my windowsill (the windowsill that doesn't get any sun). We shall see what happens.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

My cactus is still in bloom, but a few blooms are dying back.

I have an African violet in the window too. It does well, but always seems like it needs a bigger pot. I am afraid to re-pot it, because the last time I did that to one it died. It was like it did better being all cramped up.

My Christmas Cactus does need to be in a bigger pot which I need to do soon. I love that plant.

I have this other cacti in a glass container that my dad broke off, and gave me from one he and mom had for years that came from her sister in Chicago. I have no idea how old this is, so I feel the pressure to keep it alive. lol...Dad said to keep it in sand with a little soil. I just need to re-pot it and figure out what it needs.

I have one of those plants that I always heard called 'Mother in Law's Tongue'. I don't know why someone called it that, but that is what I heard. It's growing good, and I need to re-pot it too.

Besides sewing, this made me realize I really have some inside gardening to do.

Can herbs be bought this time of year? I meant to get some starts before winter. Outside I have some mint that comes up every year now. I got that start from our board member MaryMo. It does spread, but that doesn't bother me. She sent a piece of it with little roots wrapped in a moist paper towel inside a little baggie. It did great.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:00 PM

There are Thanksgiving cactus, the way you tell one fron the other is one has pointy leaves and one has rounded leaves. Not sure which is which. Gonna watch Downton Abbey tonight.