Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January secret Pal Sign Up Closes Dec 30th (noon) >

January secret Pal Sign Up Closes Dec 30th (noon)

January secret Pal Sign Up Closes Dec 30th (noon)

Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM

Default mag subscriptions

i have given gift subscriptions with my airlines miles before to family and friends. i will need to check and see if there are quilt mags available with my airline miles.

i am one who has not subscribed to any quilt mags so any i receive are truly new to me. since i am working on the mccalls 3 issue mystery quilt, i paid for a new subscription to mccalls mag so that i could make sure to get the mags to finish my quilt. hopefully that subscription will start in time for me to get the next issue with mystery part 2.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 PM

WEll I cant figure out how to post a pic! Mine went onto my blog so guess I dont understand this new format.

Hoppa
Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Louise, I for one, would love a subscription to a mag. QCA or AQS.. I will have to look them up to see what they offer. I really enjoy the magazines my SP's send. When I'm finished with them I pass them on..

Good to see you back Lori.. we missed you and glad your appointment went well

Great SP packages this month!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
Hypothetical question here to everyone.

IF you were the secret pal (or even as a RAK) do you have
a favorite magazine that you would like to? and would you like
a subscription to that magazine.

ALSO along those same lines, have any of you ever in the past
or present been members of QCA or AQS (Quilters Club of America
and American Quilters Society)? would you like a membership to either
of those?

I am a member to BOTH and love them both, PLUS all the magazines
I get as being members.

I am asking this because I was tossing the idea around in my (otherwise empty)
head tonight on my hour long drive home from work (lots of time to think).
It occurred to me that MAYBE sometime in the future I can "gift" someone
(or two) a subscription to either their favorite magazine or one of the quilting
clubs. I would do this as a sp gift or maybe even a RAK.

What are your opinions, thoughts and/or likes dislikes to my thinking?
A couple years ago I did that to 5 quilting friends from cafemom. They
all loved getting their subscriptions.
Louise what a wonderful idea. I love magazines. I have 2 that will be ending soon and I won't be able to renew for now. I have also wanted to join Quilters Club of America but not something I can do at this time. I don't know anything about AQS. I would think that anyone would be happy to receive such a great and on going gift like that. You always come up with great ideas.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 PM

Vicki W I'm so glad that you liked the package that I sent to you.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 PM

I just wanted to give everyone and update on my granddaughters passing. My daughter got a possible cause of death for her little girl. They believe that she may have had the H flu with the B strain which can be fatal in very small children. I hope that it gives her daddy some piece of mind to at least know that it wasn't anything that he could have prevented. He blames himself so much for her dying. He felt that he should of been holding her instead of putting her down to sleep while he cooked dinner. The sad part is that other than a little congestion she didn't act sick. She did have an ear infection earlier in December and took all the medicine for it. The medical examiner found Bactria in her ear that is leading them to this conclusion. We still have to wait for final report to come out.

On Sunday we had her memorial service at one of her great grandparents home. It was a very beautiful and touching celebration of her life. There were a lot of 5 inch fabric square signed and I'm hoping to have enough to make quilts for my daughter, my son in law, and both her brother and sister. The squares will be the centers of stars.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 PM

What a wonderful idea for keepsake quilts for her mom and dad, brother and sister. There is no greater loss than the loss of a child. A hug and prayer for your family.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 AM

My sp pkg from Luvstoquilt. Look at all the wonderful items she sent!
Attached Thumbnails fc52.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by 3NorwichTerr View Post
I'm a member of QCA, but honestly mostly to get the 10% Joann's discount.

I've thought a couple of times about magazine subscriptions for my SP. Sometimes I get an offer of a free subscription for someone else if I renew mine. Not knowing what magazines my SP may already get I haven't sent one to anyone yet, but maybe our fearless leader will add what a question about magazine subscriptions to our fact sheets. I've wondered, also, when sending recycled magazines if I'm sending something my SP may already have.

Hint, hint...my SP, who should receive her package tomorrow, did include the magazines she receives in her information. :-)

Deby
Woo Hoo!!! This could be me as I have been listing the magazines I subscribe to on my info sheet so that if my pal has magazines to share s/he knows which ones I already have...I LOVE quilting magazines for the inspiration and projects they provide. And with the cost of purchasing individual vs subscription issues...yikes. I purchased the Simple Quilts and Sewing magazine yesterday and it was $9.95...(had I checked the price before buying I likely would have put it back on the shelf), but it has oodles of patterns and projects I will make so I suppose I can justify the expense... but I must admit I was startled when the cashier gave me my total. YES, I agree that giving subscriptions and sharing new and used magazines with our Pals in a great way to spread our love of quilting!

I also was a member of QCA, in part for the Joann's discount but have learned that as a Guild Member or a Teacher Joann's will give you the 10% discount card. Just complete a brief form and show your current membership card or school ID and they provide the card at the register. I am not positive, but I think teachers may receive a 15% discount card here. I also joined Crafters Choice as they have a wonderful selection of the Newest and Best Selling Quilting and other craft/cooking and childrens books available at a fraction of the MSRP. They have periodic sales where all books are $10 or less with free shipping so this is a great resource for buying books for yourself &/or for gifts.

Well, today I need to do some mending, reattaching buttons and my FIL's britches need to be taken up a few inches. Then it's time to do try out a few new projects as I wait for the postman to arrive...today may be my lucky day!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 AM

Yes Quilty louise, i don't subscribe to any magazines right now. but like the Quilters---I alwaysw look at them in the stores. As far as the clubs- no thanks just yet. This would be a good SP gift as it would last all year And you would always think of your SP when reading it. Crafty Grammie