Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
July - October 2015 Wall Hanging Swap >

July - October 2015 Wall Hanging Swap

July - October 2015 Wall Hanging Swap

Old 10-05-2015, 04:53 PM

There are some beauties in the making!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM

Looking forward to getting a name to send to, Have to have it ready to mail so hubby can send it. Flying out of here on the 2nd for Florida for a couple of weeks. My bachelor son is getting married, so so happy for him....
Old 10-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Smile

The top is actually done and ready to be quilted. It was a little challenging sewing curved pieces but fun at the same time. Now I need to figure out how to quilt it and then how to bind it.
Attached Thumbnails 442-custom-.jpg   443-custom-.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Anna, I just knew it was an apple core you were hinting at! Are you hand or machine piecing this?

Can you give us a quick description of your technique or plan of action!

I tried an apple core many years ago and stopped when it reached the size of a place mat. I was machine piecing and the assembly had so much stop and start and pin and turn and this way then that way, I gave up on it.

The first row is so easy and then to add rows the instructions said to sew all the convex parts first and then go back to sew the concave parts as you sew each row. It was way to complicated for me back in the day. I would give it another go if I didn't have so many other UFOs to work on!

I really like this pattern and don't see it made much these days. I am happy you are doing it.

peace
Old 10-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post

I tried an apple core many years ago and stopped when it reached the size of a place mat. I was machine piecing and the assembly had so much stop and start and pin and turn and this way then that way, I gave up on it.

I really like this pattern and don't see it made much these days. I am happy you are doing it.

peace
I am machine piecing and this is my first apple quilt. I thought it would be perfect for a wallhanging as it is a smaller project yet I will get enough practice. Like you said it is a lot of pinning and matching. It is slow go for me too. Lets just say I am not signing up for a twin or bigger. LOL Let me see if I can find the link I watched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2sc3pmdtg

Without seeing this I might have tried English paper piecing but I really wanted to try and machine piece. In the future I could see doing a small quilt for a special baby girl but I think it would be too much for me to do much larger. I still have to quilt it and have not decided on a pattern yet. After that is the binding and I think it is more intimidating to me then the machine piecing. I hope to keep all the curves and points and fortunately found a tutorial online that uses premade bought binding. But step by step. I never even thought I would make an apple core quilt because of all the curves.
Attached Thumbnails 441-custom-.jpg   446-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by Annaquilts; 10-07-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:56 PM

Got the binding sewn on, just need to do the hand sewing to the back to finish the binding, then the special "adds". I forget who was going to use the WH as the center of a medallion quilt, but mine won't work for that. I "tested" some of the adds today by placing in / on / around but not securing anything and I love it.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:26 AM

Hey Kassaundra that was my suggestion if the received WH was too big to hang. You are right -not all are suitable.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
Hey Kassaundra that was my suggestion if the received WH was too big to hang. You are right -not all are suitable.
I loved the idea of doing that, and is an idea I will keep in mind.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:50 AM

The backing fabric of mine is upholstery fabric, loved the weight it gives the WH, and the colors coordinated so well. The front may or may not have any or all of gold lame', lace, rope, buttons ............................... but those are "spoilers", sweetie.
(anybody get that?)
Old 10-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

as time consuming as they are, apple cores are also peaceful to do and I found doing the few I did satisfying.

Love your machine!

Have I even started yet? NOPE. I am going to have to pull a trick out of my hat this time. Agggggh.
Make your week a good one.
peace