Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
June Secret Pal Sign Up Closes May 30th at Noon >

June Secret Pal Sign Up Closes May 30th at Noon

June Secret Pal Sign Up Closes May 30th at Noon

Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM

Default Got my box today.....

Woo hoo..... I got my sp box today...and I love all of the stuff that I got! The funny thing is that last month I was out in lacrosse and went to the same qui8lt shop my sp did..The other funny thing is that my dd works at Joann's so the coupons will come in so handy..... I love the magazines and the pin cushions and the FQ's they are amazing! now to email Lori so I can properly thanks my SP......
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0812.jpg  

Last edited by SEGASAL; 06-13-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:34 AM

Lot's of nice packages everyone!! My SPs package is "out for delivery" today. Hope she likes it!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM

That is funny K. Actually, I got a call from my nail lady that I needed to get over to get my nails done in liike 5 minutes. So......I grabbed my purse, phone, keys; locked office door and headed out. Got outside and realized I had no car. DH had dropped me off this morning. LMAO as I went back in and called for the bus. I really could have walked, but didn't have time. LOL
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Oh. That must be me.
Krystyna I wish it were you! You post quite a bit here lol! And I can get rid of some of the glitter my dd left behind! and shoes of course...
Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 AM

My obsession with this thread is becoming apparent to my computer, It has just now passed my use on Facebook! Now that is saying a lot for me!

Since I am new to the Swap I need a little clarification please: Is the $10.00 limit and out of pocket limit? You know like the one we give our husbands... Because I am amazed how you ladies are able to be so generous and keep with in only ten dollars! I want the secret, I don't want to appear to be a cheap skate~ And I have a LOT of fabric in my stash that "just magically appeared".

I received some cool coupons from Hancock fabric the sale starts tomorrow. My Quilting group meets on Thursday, so we are going shopping tomorrow, I am now on the hunt for "cool stuff" to put in my SP Stash.

OK gotta go run, I am falling a little bit behind on my running but getting caught up in my sewing~ It is an evil balance, I want to do both!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
Krystyna I wish it were you! You post quite a bit here lol! And I can get rid of some of the glitter my dd left behind! and shoes of course...
SHOES? Now that is something I could give! As long as you have big feet! When I retired I had the coolest collection of awesome shoes. I have been giving some away, my favorites are so hard to pass on. I wear a sized 9/10 and have some killer high heels? Now I only wear running shoes or flats, except for the occasional date night!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
My obsession with this thread is becoming apparent to my computer, It has just now passed my use on Facebook! Now that is saying a lot for me!

Since I am new to the Swap I need a little clarification please: Is the $10.00 limit and out of pocket limit? You know like the one we give our husbands... Because I am amazed how you ladies are able to be so generous and keep with in only ten dollars! I want the secret, I don't want to appear to be a cheap skate~ And I have a LOT of fabric in my stash that "just magically appeared".

I received some cool coupons from Hancock fabric the sale starts tomorrow. My Quilting group meets on Thursday, so we are going shopping tomorrow, I am now on the hunt for "cool stuff" to put in my SP Stash.

OK gotta go run, I am falling a little bit behind on my running but getting caught up in my sewing~ It is an evil balance, I want to do both!
Marybeth I pull fabric / notions from my stash. I don't count anything in my stash toward the 10.00 limit. Whenever I go shopping I look for things on sale to add to my box for future secret pals. I also make some holiday related items in advance. I hope that helps.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM

OK Marytodd~prepare to get bombarded with answers from us "long timers" haha...I don't count anything from my stash towards the ten dollars and a lot of the other long timers are the same...in addition, you can send quilting magazines, books, etc. that you are finished with;patterns that you are finished with; if there is a Michaels near you, they have awesome dollar isles where you can stock up on tablets, cute pens, cute knick knacks, jars of buttons, packets of cards, etc. etc.....or as you continue in the swap you may get something that you can't use such as lime green thread that you will never use and you can send that on...there have been several discussions as to whether or not you should "re-gift" handmade items and there are some people who will and some who will not....if someone is saying they need a 6 inch square ruler and I have three of them, I send one and don't count it towards the ten dollars...some people use the ten dollars towards the specific request items or the candy....use can also buy a box of better quality teas for 12 or 15 dollars but split them up over the course of a few months with people who want tea, a few bags each time....sometimes if I buy a fabric and I need under a yard, I'll still get the full yard and put it with the swap items....several of us have a "box" or "drawer" or whatever that we keep items for swaps in all year long and pick up things as we go or see them on sale or whatever and then just personalize for our pal that month. I know that I always include fabric....if I have something they like in my stash, I don't count it towards the ten BUT if it's something I don't have and I need to spend money at the LQS, that box may not get as much as one where I had what they like. Go back through the previous months on here and you'll get a lot of ideas of stuff to send....just have fun!!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Swap Hosts

I know this has been covered before, but yes, the $10 is out of pocket. Then most of us add stuff we make or that we've stockpiled. And a lot of us shop dollar stores and use coupons so the cost isn't over $10.

I've been really busy reorganizing my stash ... so far only got three shelves done ... they are two bolts deep.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341815[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341816[/ATTACH]

And here is part of the other side of my studio ... boxes of t shirts for embroidering on top and some finished veils below ... just a tiny piece ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341817[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fabric-shelves-1.jpg   shelf-1.jpg   shirts-lace.jpg  

Last edited by Krystyna; 06-13-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
....Since I am new to the Swap I need a little clarification please: Is the $10.00 limit and out of pocket limit? You know like the one we give our husbands... Because I am amazed how you ladies are able to be so generous and keep with in only ten dollars! I want the secret, I don't want to appear to be a cheap skate~ And I have a LOT of fabric in my stash that "just magically appeared".....

gosh marybeth where to begin. many of us have now amassed "swap treasure bins" in which we have found sale/clearance items we purchased at dollar stores, estate/garage/yard sales, tuesday mornings, michaels, joann's, any other stores clearance and bought those things home for swaps for our pals. tuesday mornings can have so many $0.99 items such as sewing machine needles, quilting fingers, templates, threads and i found notecards on clearance at office max and some how all of this stuff came home with me.

there is a garage sale now right around the corner from me that listed fabric and craft items that i had to hide my car keys so that i wouldn't go there and buy more fabric (though i do need a few colors i'm missing) but when frequenting these type sales, one can pick up bunches of stuff for small outlays of cash to send in swap packages later. you can find quilt magazines (at these sales)or books for sale at the library (my library is having a $1 bag book sale now), or when the craft patterns go on sale at the fabric stores for $0.99 stock up. Many of us have gotten in the habit of looking for swap pal things when we are out doing our other duties.

often many of us do not count the items that are hand/home made as part of the $10 limit nor do some of us count the things that come from our stash (and some have pretty extensive stashes). so we find many ways to maximize on the $10.00 limit.

oh what the heck i am going around the corner and see what fabrics they have for sale. i just thunk myself into it. the sale is so close, how could i not go?

btw my brother has started a walking for health campaign so he comes by and gets me to go walk in the park. i usually do 2 laps (jog & walk) around the park which amounts to 3 miles but he can only do 1 lap since he is just starting out. so i figured this morning i need to get out before he gets to me and do my other lap. i really need the 3 miles or i just don't feel like i got the exercise in. exercise is good for the soul, mind and body.

mary

Last edited by Havplenty; 06-13-2012 at 10:00 AM.