Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: March Secret Pal Swap closes February 4:00 pm CST

Blog Entries

March Secret Pal Swap closes February 4:00 pm CST

Description:
    This is a monthly secret pal swap. There is a sign up every month, and you can choose whether or not to participate each month. You will get a different partner every month, and the person you send to will be different than the person you receive from.

1) You Need To Send The Hostess A Private Message When You Mail Your Package To Your Secret Pal.

2) Once You Get Your Package From Your Secret Pal, You Need To Send A Private Message To The Person Who Sent The Package To You Thanking Them And Acknowledge That You Did Receive It.

3) After You Have Thanked Your Secret Pal, You Will Need To Send Me A Message Telling Me That You Have received Your Package So That I Can Keep Accurate Records.

Failure To Send These Three Messages Is Reason Enough To Be Banned From The Next Month's Swap.

Packages need to be mailed out by March 15th, this is a Firm deadline (Not a suggestion). If you know that you can not mail by that date, Please Do Not Sign Up.You can send your package as early as you'd like!

If you are sending an international package it will need to be mailed by the 10th of March. Due to mail processing, our mail dates for international mailing has to be as early as possible! No later than the 10th of March. It can take many weeks to reach your SP so any delays in mailing can delay the start of the next month’s sign-up sheet being posted.

For international mailing it is very important that you mark your parcel as a 'Gift'. Usually on the Customs Declaration there's a box you can check.

Also, the value should be $10 only (even if you send diamond necklace, lol). I know that each and every time the wonderful generous gifts are far in excess of this amount, but if the true value is listed (and it's over the allowed 'Gift' amount) The person receiving the package is liable for Import Duty,
    Tax and a Handling fee. This can cost the person receiving as much as $40

As an aside, padded envelopes are much cheaper to send compared to small boxes. I'm not sure if that's true for every carrier or not.

Our International board members are welcome to join the swap.

You must have a phone # or email to sign up

Screen Name:
    Address:
    Apartment number/lot number:
    City, State, Zip:

Favorite Color(s):
    Least favorite color(s):
    The fabric color I am looking for is:
    Your favorite notion/fabric line:
    Least favorite notion/fabric line:
    Brand of sewing machine:
    Do you have an embroidery machine?
    Do you hand embroider?
    How long have you been sewing/quilting?
    What are you currently working on?
    Would you like to receive gently used items (templates, patterns, books having to do with quilting, orphan blocks, magazines)?
    Besides quilting, what do you like to do?
    What types of books do you like to read?
    Do you have Allergies (Smoke/Pets/Fragrance)?
    Do you have Allergens (Smoke/Pets)?
    If you have a pet what kind?
    I do/do not celebrate (Holidays):
    I like to collect:
    The One thing I want the most is:
    I would not like to receive:
    Favorite candy/cookies/snack:
    Least favorite candy, etc.
    Favorite beverage:
    Do you have a Keurig Coffee Machine, if so what flavors do you like?
    Tell a little about yourself &/or your quilting:

Can you mail international?
    email address:
    phone number:

There is a 10 dollar budget for this swap. Items from your stash or homemade items are not included in the $10 limit. Postage isn't included in the ten dollars. The most important thing to remember with the budget is to have fun, but please do not spend more than $10.

Sign ups will close the 28th of February, and names will be paired on the 1st of March and sent out no later than the 2nd of March (I will try to have all names out on the 1st.)

2. If your pal does not receive her/his package within a reasonable time (7 days max from mailing deadline for within the same country. Then I will need tracking information, 15 days for between countries. There are exceptions, but I
    must be notified of any delays in sending on your end). Failure to comply may result in the following: Being banned for the next month

This is why it is imperative that you keep the hostess informed on any mailing issues. Along with negative feedback, you will not be allowed to participate in future secret pal swaps. It is also possible that other coordinators will not allow you to participate in their swaps.

It's all about fun, so please have fun with it.

I'm debating whether to participate this month. Will ponder for a couple of days to decide. Postage is getting more and more expensive.

Well, I hate to say it, but this one is out for me this month. I will watch for results and ponder on next month. I don't want to over commit so soon back on the board.
    Quilter, Cross Stitcher, Troublemaker when able - Karen Joy

I am in!

Sending my info now.
    Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self.~Karen Salmansohn

Blog Entries
    I am in. Already have some things saved up.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

I'm in for next month. thanks
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

I am in again for March but would like some feedback about the cost of sending items overseas. I would like to do this but when I send items to my daughter in London I can never get away without spending $50 on postage. How do you do it aqnd what has it cost?

Thanks

I'm in sent my info

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am in again. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by heronfan View Post
    I am in again for March but would like some feedback about the cost of sending items overseas. I would like to do this but when I send items to my daughter in London I can never get away without spending $50 on postage. How do you do it aqnd what has it cost?

Thanks
    I have sent overseas several times and I always send to Australia at Christmas time. The key I have found is to keep it under 4 pounds and send it in an envelope helps. I generally load an envelope up and not seal it. Then when I go to the post office I have them weigh it and take things out if I have to. It generally is under $30.00. If you don't want to they can tell you what it will cost at whatever weight you are at. So if need be pull it out to the amount you want to spend. This works the best for me. Hope this helps you. I can't afford to do it every month, but I try to send overseas for this swap 2 or 3 times per year. As we are on a one income budget right now.
    Happy Quilting!
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    I'm debating whether to participate this month. Will ponder for a couple of days to decide. Postage is getting more and more expensive.
    Get the flat rate padded envelopes. They have to be ordered online, but they are free. I think it it is a little under $7.00 to mail. I stuff it to the gills. Usually have my hubby hold it shut while I tape it. Also I found out from the post office if it is within your state, don't use flat rate, just send priority as it will be cheaper in the long run. I send so much out for my non-profit I had to start asking questions because of the costs of things. Hope this helps and you will reconsider staying in.
    Happy Quilting!
    Cathy

I almost missed the cut off. Sending mine in here in a few minutes. For some reason I keep thinking it is March and there should be more days in the month. Guess I am hurrying spring along.
    Happy Quilting!
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by catjo View Post
    Get the flat rate padded envelopes. They have to be ordered online, but they are free. I think it it is a little under $7.00 to mail. I stuff it to the gills. Usually have my hubby hold it shut while I tape it. Also I found out from the post office if it is within your state, don't use flat rate, just send priority as it will be cheaper in the long run. I send so much out for my non-profit I had to start asking questions because of the costs of things. Hope this helps and you will reconsider staying in.
    That's what I use, but postage has gone up yet again. Second time in a year for Priority.
    And if the address you are sending to is in your region, Priority Regional Rate is the best to use. I can send in Texas for as little as $6.50, and that is a box about the size of a Medium Priority Flat Rate box.
    Last edited by Belfrybat; 02-27-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Never heard of the Regional rate. That is good to know. Thank you for clueing me in on that one. I hope you can swing it. Hate to lose swappers, as this is such a great group of gals.
    Happy Quilting!
    Cathy

Never heard of the Regional rate. That is good to know. Thank you for clueing me in on that one. I hope you can swing it. Hate to lose swappers, as this is such a great group of gals.

Sent my info in.
    Happy Quilting!
    Cathy

Hi all missed last month as I had too much going on and was out of town for a few days too. And it looks like I will sit out this month too. I hope to be in for April though.
    A couple of things I can contribute: a few years ago I sent some packages international and discovered that padded flat rate could be sent with a weight limit of 4# or less, when the domestic price was $6.30-ish the international price was around $26. I checked on the usps site and the domestic price for the flat rate padded envelope is $7.20 and international to Austrailia is $33.95, Uk is 32.95, and Canada is 23.95, and the cardboard flat rate envelopes (only checked Canada) was the same price as padded. And a large envelope that is not priority going to Canada was --for 3 lbs. 24.95 and 4 # was 36.50. I imagine the overseas would be proportionally more as the flat rate ratio.
    One more bit of info when I mailed my first overseas (not Canada) package I just had it in a padded manilla type envelope (not flat rate), it weight a pound or just a few oz more and it was about $26, it was all sealed etc. the clerk let me know that overseas would be the same price up to 4 pounds and after that I also discovered flat rate can be sent with the international postage prices.

Hope this helps some with thoughts on sending international.
    Last edited by starshine; 02-28-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for information on mailing international. I learned a lot!!

Blog Entries
    I have finished with the names. If you did not get your secret pal information please send me a message. I will be happy to resend the information to you. Have fun and don't forget to send me a message when you mail and when you receive your package!!!

I have my secret pal. I could not find any fun facts about your home town, so I went with your state. Your state is one of only two places in the world where star garnets can be found in any significant quantities (India is the other)I have started your box.
    Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self.~Karen Salmansohn

I have my pal, have had you before.... I know what you want.

Got my pal-never had her before. Getting started-love this swap!

Not sure why, but my secret pal has a link to a castrated male bovine animal of any age. Best I could do!

Okay...μυστικό φίλε μου είναι Τζίντζερ.

got my sp don't think I have had you before or if I have getting to darn old to remember. LOL anyway your package is ready and hopefully will go out Monday. Missed todays mailing and to lazy to get out of Pjs and drive to po. I got you a couple of things on your list and hope that is exactly what you wanted if not you may return them or pass them on.
    I collect Seraphim Angels

Got my SP and started your package. I've had you before and I'm working on finding the fabric you are looking for. Tomorrow I'll head out for some goodies. Way too wet here today to go out today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast