Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
May 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes May 1st >

May 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes May 1st

May 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes May 1st

Old 05-06-2014, 05:04 PM

Tomorrow, if the weather holds out, I am going hosta harvesting! In 1962 my family moved to a new house and I met my BFF. Our parents continued to be next door neighbors until very recently. We are finally getting ready to sell dad's house, if my siblings ever get their stuff out of the house. My friend's mom died last year (dad about 5 years ago) and the house is on the market. Long story short, she told me this weekend to dig up any plants that I want from the yard. Most of the shrubs are too big, but the hostas are going to be mine! She lives in an apartment so can't really take them herself. I would love to move the rose bushes, but don't think hubby would be too thrilled about that since they are not small.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

I have got to dig up some of my dad's 'rose of sharon' little side sprouts. I have put it off, but need to get it done. I hate too when something is planted and later doesn't make it or something happens. I have this one ornamental type evergreen tree at the end of the house that was so pretty, and has probably grown as tall as it was suppose to, and suddenly parts of it are turning brown and dyeing. I strongly think it may be dirt dug up around it by the dogs. When we are gone they will find places out of the sun to cool down, and I recently discovered dug up places around it. I can put more dirt around it, but not sure if that will save it now. My pincushion won't be sent out early either. Went for doctor appointment today. I am up late again, but I had down time today resting and sleeping some so I am a bit restless now. lol...That is when I do my best sewing.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 PM

Well, it looks like I will be able to send out my pincushion early after all. I made one today and it turned out so cute. I will be putting it in the mail tomorrow. It is going to someone who is a little northwest of me so they should expect it on Friday or Saturday. I hope they like it. Laurie, I will send you the tracking number tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Well, mine is out and on it's way for a Friday delivery, but we know how the post office lies.

My grandpa had those bushes. he put fabric softener in the dirt to make them deep blue and broken bricks to make them go reddish pink. His were always so bright and pretty. Made great toppings for my mud pies and cakes.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

When my son was little, he would sneak up to my neighbors house who had always known my family, but still always spoke her mind. Her yard was connected right next to ours. Well, she always had the prettiest flowering bushes, and my little son would pic off the flowers, and come in the house, and say here mommy look what I picked for you. lol...

After questioning him where he found those pretty flowers, a knock on my door, and guess who was there to tell me where they came from.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 PM

I should have divided my hostas 2 years ago. This year I don't have the time either so they are going to be super big. I wanted to get out and do some yard work but it rained this morning and then I was busy from 11 to 3. I did have time to make 1 pincushion, half of the other one, 2 goodies, and the tutu. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 80's (not my kind of weather) so I'll see how much yard work I'll do. Might get my pincushions out by Sat.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:37 PM

I have been debating dividing my oldest hostas for a couple of years, but haven't yet. I kind of like them big and bushy. This year I have decided not to add anything to the front yard. I am just not sure how much of the yard they are going to tear up. Well except my impatiens, they are right next to the house.

I have decided what pincushion I am going to make, I think. Now to find the perfect fabric. Why is deciding what to to make the hardest part???
Old 05-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

is it necessary to divide hostas????
we've been here for 4 years now, and 3 yrs ago, i put them in, they have quadrupled in that time. will they continue to double themselves? will i need to divide them?
oh no, what have i planted???
Old 05-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

I almost have my pincushion finished. I will be busy tomorrow though. We have to take care of some errands. I may do some shopping.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:51 AM

I've been here for 7 years but I bought some of the hostas and some where already here and those are huge. Maybe I'll get around to it next year. Really sunny out today and into the 80's this afternoon. Everyone have a great day