Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
May 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes May 1st >

May 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes May 1st

May 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes May 1st

Old 05-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Last year when I first saw them in the garage I thought they were cute too. And then they started running around and knocking stuff over and I have a lot of wood up in the rafters and some of that was coming down and I didn't want it falling on my then new car. One died that fell between 2 cabinets and I trapped 2 so that left only 1 and then I wasn't bothered with them until a few months ago. Now I want to kill them with my bare hands. I always put bread out for the birds and of course during the night the raccoons would eat it all. No more food from now on and I'm only using the suet cubes for the birds.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

happy birthday Susan
Love the pincushion you made Susan and also the needlebook. both very nice.
when I was a kid about 7 we had squirrels, they are thru the wires in the walls. I guess it was good it was just an apartment we rented. they would scare the bejeebs out of me at night. I thought they were ghosts.
then when I was married to the old one, we had raccoons jumping out of the trees onto the roof. scared me as much as the squirrel ghost.
It's so beautiful here today. about 68 and dry, (torrential rains last night)
going to see the cartoon Wizard of Oz. hae a great night all.
still no word from my swap partner, she should have had it last Friday. nothing in the mail for me.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Thanks lynnie, Here is a pic of my first ever try at hexies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]475879[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_2000-small-.jpg  
Old 05-17-2014, 12:34 PM

Susan did you sew the hexies by hand? When I do mine I always have the whip stitch showing. Love the colors

Lynnie That's why I'm scared to go in the garage as I don't want them to jump on me and bite me. My neighbor told me call the city and they'll come with a trap for the raccoon. He said he had one in his old house attic. I didn't realize they can climb. Another day of on/off rain. Of course. The temp only went up to 50. There were no yard sales for me today
Old 05-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Yes I sewed them by hand. I wasn't sure what I was doing, but I enjoyed it. I watched a couple of videos on them.

It was a cool day here today too. Suppose to be warming up a little tomorrow, and then each day warming back up again.

You mentioned yard sales. I agree with you on the 127 yard sale. I have went before, but I didn't go last year. The year before I went for just a bit, because it is just like you said. It is during some of the hottest weather. That didn't bother me when I was younger, but it sure does now.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Susan, came out great! I love the wild fabric, would look nice a small pc in my quilt. I'm doing 3/4" one on top of 2 takes a 2 x 5-6" piece. isn't it addicting? and so fun too.

Coons can do a lot of damage, more than squirrels. they will eat thru plasterboard to get in. You know when they're in your trash, they are neater than squirrels too. They pick. Coons and squirrels HATE hot peppers, BUT birds love them. makes their plumage much brighter. so put in the bird food for the birds, and to detract from squirrels and coons. I soaked peppers in water then used the water in a spray bottle to deter those pesky varmints Good luck.

Just got home from Michaels, used my 50% off coupon to JOANNS for GODIVA truffles. anybody want to join me???

Still no word from swap partner
Old 05-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Susan, what did you do/get for your birthday.

Are you planning on continuing your GFG??? it's great for all those scraps you just can't throw away.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:44 PM

Susan, did you check your mail today?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I do love making the hexies. Will probably make more to stack up for Christmas projects.

I went down to my dads this evening to take him some chicken breast to eat. His diet is very restrictive now. No salt, no sugar, no or lowest potassium. If he is not better Monday he will have to go back in the hospital for a while. I will be taking him to the doctor Monday. His sugar keeps staying high no matter what, his potassium is staying dangerously high even though he has cut it out, and has had meds for it. His legs have been swelling. I read that for someone his age (81) that it can be from kidney failure.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Oh Susan, i hope not. will keep you in my prayers.
What are you planning for the holidays in the way of hexies. need some ideas myself.
still no word from my swap partner.