Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
MONTHLY QUILTING BEE BLOCK SWAP - Version II >

MONTHLY QUILTING BEE BLOCK SWAP - Version II

MONTHLY QUILTING BEE BLOCK SWAP - Version II

Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Morningcoffeegal
Another Xmas quilt top finished ready to quilt. Because its made with alot & I mean alot of blue jeans, even the soccer ball is from jeans & the front & back are both pieced from jeans with the batting its heavy. I think I am going to hand tie this using red/black/white yarns & just stich in the ditch around the blocks. It's going to be a very heavy quilt. Any suggestions? It would really be hard to machine quilt this.
If you are going to tie -- you might try embroidery floss or very small gauge yarn to make it easier to go through the denim. Or, what about using special needles, like ones for leather? that would withstand all those layers of denim? I'm not an experience machine quilter, but those are my ideas.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 AM

I'm not sure I would batt it either - maybe flannel? layers of denim + batting would be very difficult to tie even (ouch)
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Morningcoffeegal
Another Xmas quilt top finished ready to quilt. Because its made with alot & I mean alot of blue jeans, even the soccer ball is from jeans & the front & back are both pieced from jeans with the batting its heavy. I think I am going to hand tie this using red/black/white yarns & just stich in the ditch around the blocks. It's going to be a very heavy quilt. Any suggestions? It would really be hard to machine quilt this.
Awesome, I have grandson that would love this, he plays soccer..

But being a new quilter I have no ideals on the quilting part of this...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Oh embrodery floss for the hand tieing on the Soccer quilt! I didn't think of that I have tons of it too! I have a Juki that I'll do the quilting on but knowing how dense the denim is, even with my Juki I dont think I will be doing any FMQ or any fancy stitching. I am using a real thin layer of batting it needs the soft padding but talk about trying to keep it wrinkle free & lined up while I pin WOW! Got a 1/3 of the way through then I took it apart layed the back goodside facing the front goodside layered with the batting on top and I took it to the Juki & stitched all around the edges & left a 2 ft section unstitch to turn it! After I did it I thought I should have just turned it into a Duvet cover! LOL That would be taking the easy way out right? LOL I already skipped having to bind it! LOL I'm gong to stitch an inch in all around to give it a binded look. Working on my arm muscles with this one. Still have to pin but atleast its all layered even!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Love the flower blocks, love all the blocks and quilts.
Robert glad you are feeling better. Love the Santa Clause blocks. All are just beautiful.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by rfbrazell
Did you recoginize the center fabric, holly and Bow. LOL

OMGosh, had to go look again....that's great. Turned out really pretty, huh? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew
OH MY Robert - another beauty.... Thanks so much...Now please take care of yourself, think of you'all daily.

Jean
Old 10-13-2011, 01:02 PM

Finally sent bibliostone extra swap blocks also Dorrell Ann.
Tomorrow will be the last one I owe the sewing machine one and a surprise one you all got an extra one for your patience. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:53 PM

No hurry on my blocks, Robert. Please concentrate on getting well.
Tommie
Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 AM

Good Morning Robert this is your dailey check in to see how you are doing! So how are Kathy & you? I used to do home health visits and when I arrived the first thing was a big hug, while I was giving the person a hug I would check skin temp to see if they were running a fever. So here's your hug are you running a fever? Do we need a temp check? I would also do a "sniff sniff" test are you bathing? Any swelling? Any bloating, any pains if so on a scale from 1-10 how would you rate the pain? Are you eating right? What did you eat yesterday? How much sleep are you getting? Any trouble moving around? Any dizzyness? Ok your good let's sit & chat for awhile! How's the wife & kids? It is raining here again I feel I live in Seattle not PA! How's your weather? Do you pass out candy on Halloween? Were'e the candy bowl? LOL There is a reason to my method of madness! Sure hope this finds you feeling better than yesterday! Smile! Hug's to Kathy & You!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM

You go Morningcoffeegal.