Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • OCTOBER - Scrappy Block Swap – SIMPLY WOVEN by Jessica Kelly >
  • OCTOBER - Scrappy Block Swap – SIMPLY WOVEN by Jessica Kelly

• OCTOBER - Scrappy Block Swap – SIMPLY WOVEN by Jessica Kelly

Old 10-08-2014, 07:38 AM

Lovely blocks. That red strip really pops out nicely!
    Originally Posted by jaba
    I'm working on them. Thought I had a bunch of black and whites but had to repeat a few of them here and there. Will have to go buy more for the variety. Here's 4 sets so far
    Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Looks great, Jaba.

Jane
    Old 10-12-2014, 05:56 AM

Jaba, as always, beautiful. After looking thru my stash, I'm going to going to fabric store too. I really love this color combo. Jan this is going to be my fav I think.
    Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 PM

I doubt I'll be able to join this one (not enough stash, play money, or spare time at the moment), but I made a sample block because I was curious how the block went together. What a fun process! It goes together almost like magic!

I'd wanted to join the "Scrappy Trips" swap, and even had my fabrics chosen and partially cut, but the abandoned newborn kitten I was bottle-feeding turned into a HANDFUL practically overnight. Once she discovered her legs, she was into everything! It was a full-time job keeping her out of trouble. She's calmed down a little bit now, but she can still be a rambunctious little monster when she wants to be. In fact, her nickname is Monster!

Maybe after my craft fairs are over for the year, I'll have a little more time to spare, and hopefully a little money from my sales so I can do some swaps. The Jacob's Ladder one sounds particularly interesting, especially since it's one of my favorite patterns.

Here's the sample block I was playing with, if anybody wants to see.

Attached Thumbnails wovenblock.jpg  
    Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 AM

Haven't started on my blocks yet, but hopefully can finish my other 2 projects by end of month. Also have to get more fabric, so will be ordering this week. Will post pic's when I start.
    Old 10-21-2014, 02:41 PM

I have 3 things I need to finish, hopefully by this Ellen's and then I can start on these blocks.
    Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 PM

Moonrise, I like your sample block. :-) I was thinking about making a sample too, to try it out. Unfortunately, I have not enough black and white fabric to join the swap. I googled the block and saw several examples of it in various colors. It makes an unusual top. A very interesting pattern. I'm hoping to join the Jacob's Ladder/floral swap coming up. I've never made the block in reverse before. I think it will be cute that way.
    Old 10-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Got the extra fabric and didn't take pic's but sent in my sets today. Had so many packages and secret boxes here for this and that swaps, mailed them all. The post office loved me $87.00 later....she told me Merry Christmas
    Old 10-24-2014, 12:10 AM

Even though I can't join the swap, I found a way to play with these fun blocks AND get my dad's Christmas gift done at the same time ... killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. And I didn't have to buy any fabric except for a charm pack!

I'd bought a couple of Moda "Crossroads" scrap bags off eBay a few months ago, and couldn't decide what to do with them, so I put them away for the time being. I re-discovered them a couple of days ago, and came up with enough 2-1/2" strips from the scrap bags to make 24 blocks. Luckily I had enough neutrals in my stash to use for the white areas. The blocks went together FAST when making them via an "assembly line" method. The quilt will have a piano key border (needed some extra fabric for the border so I ordered the charm pack).

I've got 2 rows finished so far. It's kind of wonky and ripply in the photo, since it's pinned to a piece of styrofoam, then draped across a chair. LOL! My sewing room is just 9' x 9', so space is super-limited.

Attached Thumbnails wovenquilt1.jpg   wovenquilt2.jpg  
    Old 10-24-2014, 08:32 AM

Moonrise, I love your scrappy version! The autumn colors are some of my favorites. Your father is sure to appreciate it. :-) This pattern looks so good when you step back a distance to view it and you can get the full effect of it.