Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Pictures from Row Robin 2011 >

Pictures from Row Robin 2011

Pictures from Row Robin 2011

Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ssnare
Originally Posted by Gwyn
The bird block is my simplified version of Cathedral windows. It works up really fast and can be totally finished using the machine.
Gwyn can you please share how to make the simplified version of Cathedral windows. What size block did you start out with? How did you simplify it? Thanks, Sherry
I'm not Gwyn, but I can point you to a video of a 3D Faux Cathedral Window. Not sure if it is the same as Gwyn's but I have done that one and it works. Little fiddely at spots, so it takes a little patience (but so do regular CWs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvXUvKIzYZY
Old 02-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
The bird block is my simplified version of Cathedral windows. It works up really fast and can be totally finished using the machine.
Gwyn can you please share how to make the simplified version of Cathedral windows. What size block did you start out with? How did you simplify it? Thanks, Sherry
I'm not Gwyn, but I can point you to a video of a 3D Faux Cathedral Window. Not sure if it is the same as Gwyn's but I have done that one and it works. Little fiddely at spots, so it takes a little patience (but so do regular CWs).

This will work, but I didn't use this way of doing it.

My background square and my white square are the same size. I fold the white square in half diagonally and stitch into the corner of the background square. After ironing, it looks like a HST except the triangle isn't stitched along the bias edge. I make 4 of these that all match, stitching so the white points are together in the center of the square. Now it looks like a white square set on-point.
Now I measure from corner to corner along the 'edges of the white square. I subtract 1/2 inch from this measurement. I cut a square this size and center it. I use a couple of pins to hold this piece still.

Now, gently fold the sides of the white square toward the center and curving the edge to look like the Cathedral window. I pin about 1/2" from each point and again in the middle. Then I iron. Finally I stitch close to the edge of the curved white edge. It takes a bit of practice, but even my first one was usable.

The squares I started with were 3 3/4 " I think. As you can see, I ended up having to add a couple of borders to make the block 12.5". Feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:36 PM

My background square and my white square are the same size. I fold the white square in half diagonally and stitch into the corner of the background square. After ironing, it looks like a HST except the triangle isn't stitched along the bias edge. I make 4 of these that all match, stitching so the white points are together in the center of the square. Now it looks like a white square set on-point.
Now I measure from corner to corner along the 'edges of the white square. I subtract 1/2 inch from this measurement. I cut a square this size and center it. I use a couple of pins to hold this piece still.

Now, gently fold the sides of the white square toward the center and curving the edge to look like the Cathedral window. I pin about 1/2" from each point and again in the middle. Then I iron. Finally I stitch close to the edge of the curved white edge. It takes a bit of practice, but even my first one was usable.

The squares I started with were 3 3/4 " I think. As you can see, I ended up having to add a couple of borders to make the block 12.5". Feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:58 PM

Here's my row- soft pink and green florals -preferably roses
Attached Thumbnails attachment-134617.jpe  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM

Here are two rows from Group 2-Sew by Row. The rows are just stunning so far-great work ladies!
Kimberly

Carsey's Rows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134755[/ATTACH]

LovingIzabella's Rows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134756[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-134750.jpe   attachment-134751.jpe  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 PM

I'm in group 8 "Eight we Cleaver". My theme is 1930's
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141751.jpe  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 PM

It is nice to see everyone's row. I like to watch the progress of everyone's row.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM

Wow.....just look at all the talent on this board!! No wonder I am always in "awe" when I look at the pictures on here. :D
Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 PM

Here is my row.
I am in Group 7 - The Rockin' Rowers
My theme is Red, Black & White (in case you couldn't tell!)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149577.jpe  
Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 AM

I know how to do the cathedral window, I am working on a cathedral window quilt now. I do not understand this part of your description, "I fold the white square in half diagonally and stitch into the corner of the background square. After ironing, it looks like a HST except the triangle isn't stitched along the bias edge.( the part about stitching into the corner of the background square)" Are you sticthing on the half diagonal line in the corner? Can you put a picture up to show that part?