Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2014-birthday-swap-2-5-sign-up-now-t240424.html)

djmat 07-05-2014 11:24 AM

Finally had a chance to sit down with my computer to check on the progress here. DD mailed my charms on June 30th, let me know if you don't get them by July 7th! Hope all of you early July birthday babes enjoy your day and get fabulous charms! We'll be returning from vacation on the 16th. More about it later.

Sewbis (last letter is still not working on this laptop, ugh) thanks for encouraging the chatting. Everyone who responded sounds very interesting, full of neat ideas, and absolutely charming so I thought maybe I would sound off, too. I've been extremely busy since early April moving the company to a new location (2200 sqft to 7800 sqft) so you can imagine the new furniture I had to purchase, the utilities off at one & on at the new site. Had to hire 3 more to get 'er done. My boss is wonderful, gave me a raise, praise, & bonus for the reopening party with 250 invitations which went off with minor difficulty. He brings me cool sewing stuff sometimes. My husband teaches at my work in the evenings when he gets off work at the USAF. He & my boss have their own mutual admiration society, which works out fine for me because I enjoy the banter & intelligent conversation about engineering, lifelong learner here.
Please forgive me if it looks as if I'm AWOL on this site. I do check it at least twice a week, especially before the end of the month to get the new addys for all you birthday babes. Hope you all have a wonderful summer. Can hardly wait to get home to my cool breese sewing room & hide out until school starts again.
Took a course in how to use my new quilter but haven't set it up yet. Instructor said I need about 100 hours to train my hand to make feathers, etc. so I have copied the template & work on it twice a day. Have been making regular payment plus any bonus at work to get it paid off early. I admire all of you who live debt free. One last kid in college then I can focus on that issue or perhaps will grow veggies out back to stave off hunger in my old age!
hugs,
dj

nls 07-05-2014 01:41 PM

Thank you for all the "Birthday Candies" and cards I have received. I've opened them early--didn't want to wait--there is such a great variety!
Thanks to:
Jarenie
bjsmith57
ahwu
sewbizgirl
bullock2us
maT
Quilter day_by_day
WMUTeach
barbarakibler
happylab
nurse bonnie
let's quilt
DoriDes
mamaskeeto
Thanks again,
Nancy S.

nls 07-05-2014 01:50 PM

Received "Birthday Candies" also from:
Daisy Dew
djmat
Janice McC

This "candy" was also a great variety. Can't decide which project I should start.

Thanks again everyone.
Nancy S.

sewbizgirl 07-05-2014 03:38 PM

Djmat, sounds like you have a lot of responsibility in your job. Good work getting the company moved! I hope you can find some sewing time and get to use your quilter. Lucky you!

nls, enjoy your candy as it rolls in!

Anoka Quilter 07-06-2014 08:38 PM

OK, first thing first, I have received a lot of candy from.......
Bullock2us
Dottie Dodge
Quilter Day-By-Day
Barbarakibler23
Daisy Dew
Djmat
Janice McC
Jarenie
Happylab
MaT
Alice (AHWU)
Nancy, NLS
Mamaskeeto
Bjsmith57

Thank you everyone.

Sorry for not posting the list earlier but I work in finance and am in the middle of month-end and year-end at my job and did not feel much like getting on the computer after work. Then I went out of town t visit my Mom for the weekend.

Anoka Quilter 07-06-2014 09:20 PM

Now for a little about me, the Anoka Quilter - July 11th

I was born and raised on a dairy farm in NE and have lived in Port Townsend, WA and Sioux City, IA before deciding to make MN my home. I have been married to my current husband for 17 years and we have four darling children, Chester, Renanna, Twich (all dogs) and Crystal (the cat). My son, yes he is human, is grown and his child, my grandson, is 10.

I work at the corporate office for one of the largest hair salon companies in the AP department and have been there for 6 years. I really like my job, but there are times that it does take over my life and leaves me with little free time for what I want to do.

Last December I took the big leap and purchased a Handi Quilter so I am also working on building a in-home quilting business.

It was actually my husband who got me interested in quilting and the first quilt I ever made was a quilt that we both worked on together as a gift for some friends in 2003. His mother was very much into quilting and I began going to retreats with her and I have been hooked ever since.

I just finished a baby quilt for the daughter of a friend and the wall-hanging for the swap here on the QB. Iii have a custom quilt I am putting together for a customer and I am working on a king size quilt for our bed.

What am I most proud of? That is a hard one. There is the usual; home, son, etc. As for quilting it is the first quilt I did after the one that my husband and I worked on together. I choose the Delectable Mountains pattern, which was way over my skill level at the time. It took me over a year to piece but it turned out beautifully.

What else about me.... Besides quilting I enjoy crocheting, knitting, camping, cooking and gardening.

barbarakibler23 07-07-2014 07:09 AM

Hello Ladies....I'm baaaaaackkkkkk!

from camping that is! We had a great time and the weather was beautiful. We use to tent camp for about 25 years. and most of the weeks we camped in the tent it usually rained at least one of the days if not all. (I know you are thinking she is crazy to do it for 25 years) okay I thought the weather would improve sooner or later. Okay it waited to later....until we bought a camper. So all I can say is "I love my camper!" (and everyone who is camping the weeks I do should also!)
We went camping on the westside of the state Michigan (hello WMUTeach) we were near South Haven and the beautiful Lake Michigan. If you have never seen a Great Lake put it on your bucket list. Living in Michigan we take for granted these beautiful lakes that surround us. I have swam in all of the Great Lakes at least once in my life most of them several times! There is a tour that you can go on to see all of the lighthouses. (by car) We have done part of that tour someday we will get to all of them. Okay here in Michigan ...we say....Yes Michigan!

Okay now to business.....

Yeah nls and anoka quilter...sounds like the packages are rolling in! Enjoy opening them all up...feel free to post photos.

Happylab....please post pictures of your sewing room...I need inspiration and about a week of rain (I am outside as much as possible in the summer)

Sewbizgirl...your Sophie was beautiful. My heart is so sad for you. They are so much of our lives! That is one of the reasons we bought a camper. So we can bring our dog(Sophie) with us. She would have chewed her way through the tent in minutes flat.

Trish b ...please post a picture of the quilt you made for you grandson.

Cindyvb....looks like good progress in the packages. I have that you are waiting on 4. Please let me know if that is right.

Jannie...I am so excited for you that you were able to go to some of the participating Row by Row experience stores!
I tried while we were out of town camping. I was near 2 stores but could never fit it in our schedule. So SAD! And I figured we probably passed 4-5 of them while on the highway....so sad! Hubby does not really understand the reality of the Row by Row experience. He said for me to go to them today....so I going to go to my local shop. (it's a start).

Has anyone been able to visit any of the stores in the Row by row experience ? Please post what you think of there pattern. And has anyone picked up a license plate???

DJMat.....your job sound interesting and demanding. What kind of company do you work for?

Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July!

Barbara

sewbizgirl 07-07-2014 08:55 AM

Anoka Quilter, nice to hear a bit about you! You share a birthday with my older son and my MIL... popular day! I sent my candy package to you over a week ago, but didn't see my name on your list. Have you received from me?

oneteappot 07-07-2014 12:26 PM

I received a squishy from Bullock2us over the long weekend. Thanks for all the pretties!
I haven't mailed my July BDs out yet. Bad me! They are ready to go, just haven't made it to the PO yet.

Anoka Quilter 07-07-2014 09:58 PM

Yes, Sewbizgirl, I received your package on June 27th. Sorry if I may of missed posting they were received. Life has been really crazy at work. Thank your for the wonderful candies.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 6790068)
Anoka Quilter, nice to hear a bit about you! You share a birthday with my older son and my MIL... popular day! I sent my candy package to you over a week ago, but didn't see my name on your list. Have you received from me?