Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2014-birthday-swap-2-5-sign-up-now-t240424.html)

SheriR 07-01-2014 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Swebizgirl thanks for the pictures! Think of the fun that can be made here......

[Sewbizgirl, Me, too!!! Ripley, the dog attached to that nose, makes me smile all day long. Thanks for such a nice comment.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Janice, every time I see your doggy's nose, I smile!]

Thought I'd post a pic of Tork's nose. We're babysitting mrs.sherberts "puppy?" while she visits her Alaska inlaws.

Havplenty 07-02-2014 04:12 AM

Barb sometimes its necessary to lower the swap gavel unfortunately. Sorry to hear about Jarenie's illness. I will send her a card and I already have her address from the March birthday swap. Life does get in the way sometimes while we are trying to have fun. While I may not comment on this thread very often, I do check it everyday.

In the mode of sharing:

1) My family is going through some illness now also. My SIL has endstage ovarian cancer (last 2 yrs) that seems to have the whole family edge of the seat captivated. I have been helping my brother and his family (3 kids) during this whole crisis. My SIL has truly been blessed during all of this because just when you think she has turned a corner, she snaps right back. It has truly been uplifting to see what the power of faith can do for one.

2) My fabric obsession. What can I say. I have sewn since the age of 8 yrs old and have always had one. When I was clothes making (my own designs of boutique children's clothing) I had lots of fabric and I mean lots. I had purged the herd through the years and then I started quilting. I have lots of fabric again. And the problem comes in that there are more and more new fabrics I want or need to complete certain projects. Where does it end? So..... I have decided to try and feed my fabric need through fabric giveaways on the web. I will give my self 6 months to see what happens. There are many giveaways on the web to try my hand at. I have won a Hamilton Beach Durathon iron so far. No fabric yet but I will keep trying.

3) I quit a job that was making me so unhappy and sick. I know that is scary in today's market but I prayed about it for months before I did so. The job was making me physically sick and emotionally sick. I weighed my health against what this job had to offer and my health won. Now I am back on the job market. My skills are in accounting so I hopefully will find something that will meet my financial needs to take vacations.:) During the huge corporate layoffs from several years ago, I had revamped my whole style of living.... I live within my means. I had been working towards that goal for years and I am totally debt free now. So.... I need a job that satisfies my need to travel and see the world and keep me supplied in fabric that makes me happy.:thumbup:

4) Oh and I have developed a vintage sewing machine love along the way. I have a few of them (two 15-91, 15-125, 128 and 301A all Singers) but still want a Singer featherweight to complete the collection. I have one Singer 15-91 that needs new wires and I found a retired repairman that wants nothing more that to be helpful. So he is going to rewire and service my machine for the sum of ..... $35.00. What a deal! When I had talked to vintage restorers earlier, that total was upwards of $90.00. I will now have all working sewing machines. I sew mostly on my 15-91 which is a great piecer.

Okay this is my sharing for the day.:thumbup: May everyone have a wonderfully stress free day.

Havplenty 07-02-2014 04:19 AM

Oh.... how many of you plan to participate in the Row by Row Experience? It officially started yesterday, July 1st. I will start collecting my quilt shop blocks this week. Another opportunity to earn fabric if I get the quilt finished.:D

sewbizgirl 07-02-2014 04:42 AM

Sheri, Tork is beautiful. What soulful doggy eyes. I appreciate seeing the dogs... having recently lost my dear baby Sophie, only 3 years old! I am lost without her, my constant companion. I still cry my eyes out when I think too much.

Havplenty, sorry to hear about your SIL. I hope the best for her and your family. Thanks for sharing a little bit about yourself. I love vintage machines too! I have several but the one I love using the most is my 1908 Singer 66 treadle. It's smooth as silk and make a lovely quiet "tickety, tickety" sound... very soothing. The bobbin winder on it is precision as clockwork... it just amazes me to watch it wind. Since I got my Juki quilting machine, that's what I use most. But I have a 1970's Bernina 830, two Singer 201s, two featherweights, a 15-91, the 66 treadle I mentioned, and a Singer 403. I need to pass a few onto other homes!

sewbizgirl 07-02-2014 04:44 AM

My buckeye blocks I showed yesterday... you can do those with your candy squares for the 4-patches. I used 2" squares and 4" for the HSTs, trimmed to 3.5 squares after sewing. But if swap candy is used you'll get a slightly bigger block and will need bigger squares for the HSTs... maybe 4.75"? My finished squares came out at 6.5" using the 2" blocks.

WMUTeach 07-02-2014 05:41 AM

I will be collecting the row patterns of my interest, but I don't have time to make the quilt for the contest. I have taken a vow of clearing out my UFO's this summer and I will not be leaving my little convent of fabric very often. So far I have finished four quilts and have four more to do but I keep thinking of others that are hidden in those secret places of my sewing room. As I think, I am now up to....6 more, no 7 more unfinished tops. Row by Row will just have to wait. Besides September is coming and I will have a new collection of sweet treats to turn into quilts. Oh, no, I just thought of another UFO quilt top ... that makes 8 tops to layer, quilt, bind and give away! Good by summer!

oneteappot 07-02-2014 07:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry I haven't stopped and posted for a few days. I have read the posts but didn't take the time to post.
We had some trees trimmed and mulch delivered and put down. And that made me want to work out in the flower beds more. Here it is July and I am still thinking it is time to rearrange my flower beds.
Also wanted to say thank you for the candies from Granny Rose! Love them! I believe that only leaves two to go.
This birthday swap is such fun! And all the fabric to run our fingers over!!! LOL!
The the photo of the pup! All dogs are pups to me. We have two, Czar and Sombra. Sombra is the black one. And the kitty is Nicholas.

oneteappot 07-02-2014 07:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My yard after they put mulch down. And after a moved a few things.

barbarakibler23 07-02-2014 08:32 PM

Hi ladies...love the chatting. (thanks)

Sewbizgirl...thanks for showing the block. I have made that block myself! I did not know that was what it was called. I made a quilt a few years ago that was online. We made it with 1 layer cake and some extra pieces. It was my first real quilt and it made me make blocks I never would have made. I kept that quilt for me!!!!
Sorry to hear about your dog Sophie. My little dog is a Sophie also. She is so sweet , minds most of the time...and is my constant companion.

Sheri...that is one big dog...so cute and looks really cuddly.

Havplenty..sorry about your about your job. A few years back I also quit a job (it was only part-time) because of mental abuse to ME! It is a hard decision but I am glad I did it ....good luck finding that perfect job!
Also good for you to be debt free.....we are working on that ourselves. My husband and I did a Dave Ramsey Class that helped us with working towards a debt free life. Not there yet...but we are on our way.
Also I am planning on participating in the "row by row shop hop." Like Oneteappot I have a few things that have to be finished before I get to work on any new projects.
Oneteappot Cute fur babies have there! Also your yard is beautiful! Looks so organized, weed free and happy!
That is a place were I would love to relax in!

Barb

barbarakibler23 07-02-2014 08:37 PM

Hey Ladies we have a winner.....Sewbizgirl!!!

Oneteappot was the answer I was looking for.....was that a hard contest? did it make enough sense???

congrats Sewbizgirl...your package will be in the mail shortly!