Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2020 June through November Round Robin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2020-june-through-november-round-robin-t311231.html)

Bugaroo 06-16-2020 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the blocks link and the link to prior RR... wonderful resources and so helpful seeing what others have done.

Travelinggram, wonderful blues and the center is cool.

Also thanks for all the suggestions about my Dresden. We were driving (7 hours) and I thought I had it figured out. Then I went into Hobby Lobby to stretch my legs. Well I found this lovely bee that I just have to use. Now I am back to thinking again. We are staying out our daughters for the week. Back home Saturday and I'll start sewing again.

sewbizgirl 06-16-2020 08:58 PM

Lovely blue star center, TG!

That brings me to the question... if someone uses all batiks in their center, do we need to use batiks for the rest of the rounds too? Or is is ok to mix in quilting cottons with batiks?

Not sure about changing our mailing date... Wouldn't it be good to have one mailing on the first and the other group on the 15th? That way we spread out the show and tell all month long. What do the rest of you think?

sewbizgirl 06-16-2020 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 8394036)
SBG, I've mailed my center to you today.

Hooray! I'll be watching my mailbox like a hawk.

maryb119 06-17-2020 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8394092)
Lovely blue star center, TG!

That brings me to the question... if someone uses all batiks in their center, do we need to use batiks for the rest of the rounds too? Or is is ok to mix in quilting cottons with batiks?

Not sure about changing our mailing date... Wouldn't it be good to have one mailing on the first and the other group on the 15th? That way we spread out the show and tell all month long. What do the rest of you think?

I like the idea of having a different mailing date for each group. The ideas will be coming all the time.

travelinggramma 06-17-2020 06:59 AM

Sewbiz - I mix batik and quilting cotton together. IF someone only wanted batiks than that should be addressed and agreed upon by the group. At least that is my opinion. Doing other swaps we have always intermingled the cottons.

Bugaroo 06-17-2020 07:07 AM

I mix fabrics so either is fine with me. I also like having 2 mailing dates... less time to wait for lovely pictures to appear through out the month.

jaba 06-17-2020 07:32 AM

My center has a mix of batik and cotton in it. I've always mixed them and never had a problem, sometimes those colors just work out that way.
For those that haven't been in an RR before...it's much easier if your center is divisible by an even or odd number. Example 18" center is divisible by 3 or 6, a 15" center is not. When you start adding the rounds it's much easier to figure out a pattern for each one that comes out even on the sides instead of an inch left. Seems like there is lots of odd shaped corner stones on those odd sized centers. Just a suggestion, learned from doing other RR's.
I'll take a pic later and try to post, haven't had to much luck at posting pics after they changed the format on here. I'll add some extra focus fabric if anyone wants to use it and a little message.

travelinggramma 06-17-2020 07:41 AM

Thank you CarrieM for sharing about you!
In 2003 my DH and I moved into our 39' fifth wheel and became fulltime RVers.
We sold our home located at the eastern end of Long Island NY, and have traveled the USA. When four of our grandchildren were born we were there for extended times to help. We have been able to travel to National Disasters and help via the American Red Cross. We have found we can do amazing jobs "for a season" and enjoy meeting all people. And we love meeting up with friends we have met on QB! What fun that has been!
We purchased a double wide in Prescott Valley AZ along the way, although we do not stay very long and may leave for years at a time.
Since the house has two bed and two baths, my 92 yo mother has come to live with us for half the year. This has cut down on our traveling but allowed me more time to quilt. I have been able to join the boomerang and birthday candy swaps for years on the road.
That's it for now.

travelinggramma 06-17-2020 07:43 AM

Jaba - if you can't post a picture, I will take one and post when it gets here.

sewbizgirl 06-17-2020 09:08 AM

Thanks for the answers to my batik question. I mix batik and quilting cotton in my own quilts, too.

Looks like the consensus is to keep the mailing dates separate. The first of the month for group 2, and the 15th for group 1 (after this first mailing). For those who joined late, group 1 is mailing on the 22nd this month, to accommodate a member who has since dropped out. From July on, the date will be the 15th.

I'm enjoying these bios! TG, it must be fun to travel all the time, or even half the year. Carrie, I remembered from the Pony Club that your son is a talented archer.

My story: Married my hubby in '85. We both lived in Hawaii. We relocated to Mississippi shortly after, because that's where my parents were. We wanted grandparents for our kids, once they came along. We had a girl first, then two boys, all within 4 years! Mississippi is a great place to raise children. I homeschooled all 3 kids, with the exception of the 11th and 12th grade for our older son. He wanted to play baseball and had to be in public school to do so.
All the kids live in Memphis TN with their spouses now. I have two beautiful granddaughters and with Memphis only 3 hours away, I am on the road a lot to see them!
I have always been a seamstress... private work, then costuming for the local ballet, then alterations at a bridal shop. I found quilting when a friend was diagnosed with breast cancer and I wanted to make a chemo quilt for her. After that, I was hooked. Don't know how many quilts I've made... I'm semi-retired but still work 3 mornings a week at the local gym, teaching exercise classes (yoga, water aerobics, and Silver Sneakers).

Hope more of you will post a short bio too!