Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2020 June through November Round Robin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2020-june-through-november-round-robin-t311231.html)

carriem 11-13-2020 05:30 AM

I am still enjoying the quilts as they are trickling in. I spent about 5 days on the road/in FL with my son for an archery tournament..last outdoor one of the year. Didn't have very good service while there so couldn't check. :( We drove straight through on our way home so got home at 5am Monday, then I had to stay at my MILs to help her Tuesday. I've been playing catch up on sleep all week. Maybe I'll get a nap today?!?!

MRI is on the 24th on my thumb/wrist so results of that will determine how much sewing I'll be able to do and when. I would love to join another RR, so someone please let me know if another thread is started if you think of it. :)

Macybaby 11-14-2020 05:58 AM

I found fabric I liked better at the LQS - so as soon as I get done washing I can start sewing and cutting.

Rebaquilts 11-15-2020 07:53 AM

progress

Hi everyone, I wanted to check in, since I've been off the board for a bit more than a week due to severe fatigue from the covid. Last week I was only able to go into the office for about an hour at a time before I couldn't work, and even then, I was making mistakes due to brain fog. I really didn't get much done anywhere. This week has beeen a little better. I'm finishing my 3" blocks today, I have about 64 to do and am about 2/3 done. The sewing and cutting has been slow and steady because the pieces are so precise and because I haven't had much energy, Luckily the 15th has fallen on a Sunday so I have a bit of a reprieve for mailing. I'm still hoping to mail tomorrow and get my photo done for posting. I have to take the top outside to take a photo on my lawn with a ladder and today its raining, so I won't mail until I can get a decent photo of the top. If I get a chance a little later, I'll post a photo of the blocks so you can get a preview. Hugs all!

givio 11-15-2020 08:17 AM

It's the same for me. It's raining here, lightning and thunder, and I have absolutely no place big enough indoors to take a nice picture. I work when the post office is open, but I'm trying to figure out a way to mail otherwise. My mail time is usually Saturdays, but I wasn't ready yesterday.

Reba, good to hear you are on the mend.

Iceblossom 11-15-2020 08:41 AM

So happy you are feeling better, Rebaquilts. I am fine with a mail out at the end of the month, pictures would be nice but if you can't get I like this running into work with the hubby thing and I can take an official portrait of when it comes home to me.

Since I wasn't feeling so good these past couple of weeks, I don't think I mentioned going to hubby's work. They have taken as many precautions as they can really in a manufacturing plant, both on the floor and in the offices/break room. They have taken out chairs/rearranged the lunch room and put acrylic barriers in the middle of each table even though seating has been removed. Darn, that makes big open tables for layout less available... but daily safety for all beats my quilting use a couple times per year.

But work is only about 7 miles away, hubby has keys, we can go in after hours or at low density/non-break times run in and get a picture easily with no contact. I used coat hangers with clips last time, but the one I had for the center couldn't grip on the single thickness of fabric. The lighting there is good, or at least better than any of my bedrooms and most importantly is the room is big enough that I can stand back and center the whole thing.

I've been working on the Frolic UFO from last year and I bought some big clips that will still fit over the bars of the coat hangers and can grip one layer at a time -- I think I'm on to something! And I'm going to bring my little folding step stools, chairs are not meant for standing on. With my participation in the round robin done, it was next on the list to do, and it is to be done before Thanksgiving so I can start on this year's mystery on Black Friday.

Anyway, goal this week is to actually leave the house and get to the post office and mail the 4 packages now I have ready to go.

maryb119 11-15-2020 09:18 AM

Glad you are feeling better Reba. I have stayed home most of the time to avoid covid 19. I had H1N1 in 2008 and do not want a repeat of that! I was miserable. My symptoms were a lot like what you described for Covid.

It is cold and rainy here too. I am making tooth fairly pillows for 2 grandsons today and a few Christmas masks for grandkids to wear to school after Thanksgiving. The masks may as well be festive.

sewbizgirl 11-15-2020 10:23 AM

Reba, glad to see you are starting to feel better. I think we recover faster when we can just rest and not try to work while sick.

Givio, take all the time you need in getting the quilt back to me. I'm not in a hurry.

Everyone, take care!

givio 11-15-2020 08:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, since today is the day I'm supposed to be posting my picture, which I didn't take, I thought I'd just let everyone know what my idea for my round was...

Immediately upon seeing sewbizgirl's center I knew what I wanted to sew, and for the months I waited until it was my turn, I didn't change my mind. I had a quilting book with a whacky alphabet in it that I'd never used. I bought the book specifically for the alphabet although there were other patterns and projects in it. The book gathered dust, waiting. At last, I could use it! But alas, when I moved and downsized in 2019 I had got rid of a lot of books, and that book had gone to the library. Not to be deterred, I bought a second one from Amazon. I intended to used the alphabet patterns to write something like 'Fly, Robin, fly, from my house to your house!'

And, that colorful center was just right for using Kaffe Fassett fabrics. They are such rich and beautiful, vibrant colors. Not that I had any! But I ordered a couple of charm packs from Ebay to get a good selection of prints, and went to my LQS for some more.

When Reba added her round with the circle and our names, I decided to use in my text that the robin was flying around the circle, so I wrote 'Fly, 'round Robin'. When IceBlossom added her hearts and explanation of Home Sweet Home, I changed 'house' to 'home.' When Mary added her round, I brought Robin home from the pet store. Yes, I bought a canary and named him Robin. He has a brown back and an orange breast and so, anyway, he looks more like a robin than a yellow canary would. :-) His name was easy to come by. Oh, he sings so lovely, and every morning! And when LeeAnn added her round of children, I imagined that in the circle of houses, there were children, and families, living with love, like a neighborhood of friends. And in our own homes we were quilting friends, one with another, and so I imagined that when the Round Robin top came to us each month it was with a friend. So, I added to my text the robin would 'be with a friend.' I tweaked my words until I had 16 letters and spaces for each side of the top. With 4" blocks I could span the side nicely.

For the cornerstones I wanted to put the robin. I searched for a paper pieced robin, a paper pieced bird, robin print fabric, then any bird print fabric. In the end, I decided the bird didn't have to be a robin or the color of a robin-- I just wanted a bird. I wanted it to be whimsical so it would go well with the houses, hearts, and children. I came upon just the right fabric and was pleased to find it. The print had a flying bird to travel to the next home, and a sitting bird to be staying at a friend. Wow, it was just the right size bird too. What a great find, a great buy, perfect!

I had taken a picture of my stack of blocks, but when I went to post them, I thought they would give away my idea of using the whacky alphabet, so I didn't give the sneak peak at the time. Now, I've told you all about it and it's the picture I've got today, so here it is. :-)

Iceblossom 11-15-2020 09:33 PM

Oh what a fun story! Can hardly wait to see the end result :)

sewbizgirl 11-15-2020 10:44 PM

Wow, I'm so impressed with all the thought that you put into my quilt! The alphabet blocks looks great. What was the name of that book? Can't wait to see it all put together.

If you are having a hard time getting a picture, I can take one for you when it gets here. Just offering, let me know!

Excited to see my quilt!