Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2022-2-5-birthday-swap-t317206.html)

Gannyrosie 10-27-2022 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8572951)
I don't do Instigram, Twitter etc. either. Go to her site https://frommycarolinahome.com/ and scroll down just a little on the right hand side to "My Blog Via EMail and add your e-mail address. You will get a posting from her on Tuesday and Sunday. Pure pleasure and go many good ideas. I forgot to mention her book recommendations in an earlier post. They are always interesting and fit the genres I enjoy.

thank you,will do

sewbizgirl 10-27-2022 08:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8569227)

Share a fall moment with us. A story, an adventure or your thoughts on the shifting to the fall season in earnest.

Loving this cooler weather, but we haven't had a lot of leaf color this year, here in Mississippi. Recently we drove through the Ozarks up to see our kids/grands in Iowa, and the colors were beautiful the whole way there. Here is a photo of us at an apple and pumpkin orchard in Iowa, with the grands.

Gannyrosie 10-28-2022 01:21 AM

Growing up fall ment cane harvest time. The smell of bernt cane fields after harvest. Going to the sugar house to get raw sugar and dad working endless hours keeping all the tractors and harvesters working. We don't have fall leaves to look at here, but it's also a time to start working on your barnfire. Now bonfires are a big public attraction and just not the same.

WMUTeach 10-28-2022 08:24 AM

Thank you for another look at fall, Gannyrosie. I have no experience with sugar cane farming or the fall harvest and field burning. Being a mid-westerner, I think of cooler nights, blue skies, and colored leaves twisting and turning as they dance down to the ground whit the squirrels burying nuts and geese "Ving" their way south. Toss in a crystal mood and the hoot of an owl and of course all of those fields of pumpkins to make my fall beautiful. They have to come from somewhere!

One of the scents that I miss is burning leaves. Oh, I understand that it is a pollutant and the smote makes breathing difficult for those with any kind of respiratory problems but to me it is a scent of long ago and other times. Now, I just enjoy the rustle of dry leaves and the pain of getting pelted with acorns! :)

sewbizgirl 10-28-2022 10:19 AM

Gannyrosie, I lived on Maui when I was a young adult, and in that day and time (the 70's) they grew mostly sugarcane on the island. The first step in harvesting was to burn the fields, then they'd cut down the stalks and take them to the refinery to be cooked into syrup. In my later years there, the cannery closed and all refining was done in California, so the cane was barged to CA to be processed. I know that smell of a cane field burning. The smell of molasses was in the air! Brings back some good memories of a part of life gone by. Now it's too expensive to tie up all that real estate with sugar cane. Pineapples, macadamia nuts, flowers have replaced almost all of the sugar growing now. Gone is the lovely smell of molasses during harvest.

NZquilter 10-28-2022 12:33 PM

Sewbiz, your grandkids are so cute!!! I can't believe how big they have gotten! They are lucky to have such loving grandparents!

I don't have many outstanding Fall memories, but I love the cooler weather and the beautiful color changes. And of course, I LOVE Thanksgiving right at the end of Fall!

Crispy_Frog 10-28-2022 01:36 PM

Sewbiz! Great photo for the season. Happy Autumn!

ibex94 10-28-2022 01:54 PM

Sewbizgirl -- that picture is too precious!!

Moving into fall here in south Texas is all about cooler weather (80s), lower humidity (finally!), and setting out halloween/thanksgiving decorations. Otherwise, there is no clue that the seasons are changing.

My memory of fall while growing up? Hurricane season! I even had a hurricane land on my birthday, lol. And Satsumas and Kumquats ready to pick off the trees.

LogCabin82 10-28-2022 03:24 PM

Thanks for my Christmas candies, kele! They are real pretty!

Loveofquilts 10-28-2022 06:09 PM

Received my last side swap from happylab today. Oh so I have some pretty candies! Thank you happylab, very much appreciated. Thank all you ladies for a great Xmas swap!

I agree with ibex94 about fall in Texas. There is a wonderful smell in the air, that means fall is here. Smells a little cold and a little earthy I guess. It's very distinctive. I love the cooler weather and the cold fronts starting up again. We usually are very happy to see them because we need the rain they bring. The leaves falling and the changing colors are beautiful, though not as many colors as other places have. Still very pretty though. The migrating birds come through the yard and have a buffet of sunflower seeds or thistle at our feeder. I want to grow some sunflowers and feed them the seeds, I think that would be a really nice touch. :) The afternoons are still quite warm, but even in the winter the afternoons can get nice and warm. It does get cooler up here in north east Texas than it does down in Southern Texas. I lived east and Central most of the time and northern has taken a bit to get used to. Crazy to say that there is a decent temperature change in Texas, but there is. Texas is a very very big place. Our saying here is, "Wait 10 minutes and the weather will change." That's usually true, not always but usually. I'm blathering now so I'll stop. I just wanted to expound on her words about fall.