Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Batik Block Sampler ~~ Sign-ups Close May 30th, 2012 ~~ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/batik-block-sampler-%7E%7E-sign-ups-close-may-30th-2012-%7E%7E-t184834.html)

PinkLotus 04-03-2012 07:48 AM

Yay!! Lots of interest already :) Hope you all can get the things you need done so you can play :thumbup:

Sounds great dungeonquilter and have some fun for me at the quilt show.. lol

Sew Mariposa, sew hehe...

hopetoquilt 04-03-2012 03:08 PM

I will make 2 sets. I will be using the Around the Block with Judy Hopkins book to make: Grecian Square and Railroad Crossing. I am not sure about the color choices yet. I will have them made ASAP and will PM when done. Thanks for running the swap. I am excited about getting the blocks and Batiks are my favorite type of fabrics.

Annaquilts 04-03-2012 06:31 PM

Well I signed up for two sets. I have been waiting for a batik block swap. What a tight time line though. But I got to work it in. (-: Love those batik blocks. Now to find the two fun patterns I want to make.

Mariposa 04-03-2012 07:36 PM

:):):):):)

Annaquilts 04-03-2012 11:50 PM

I already cut all the blocks for one set and am sewing away. I am doing a buck eye block but setting it with the lighter squares to the center. Atleast I think I will do it that way. I think it looks nicer.

QuilterMomma 04-04-2012 01:17 PM

Oh my Annaquilts, you are busy already. You are so on a roll. I will be watching, have to finish my 10 UFOs for April first and my other swaps I have committed to then will look again. Will keep watching though. This could with my other blocks I have, make a nice bed quilt. Seriously looking.

PinkLotus 04-04-2012 05:05 PM

We are off to a great start with sign-ups :D Welcome everyone...

I already have a few patterns swirling around in my head that I want to make.

hopetoquilt 04-04-2012 05:36 PM

I bought 4 beautiful batik fabrics today. Any requirements or recommendations with the washing? I washed them with one of my son's white t-shirts and the white t-shirt is still very white. Good enough? Any other washing recommendations before I start cutting?

PinkLotus 04-04-2012 05:46 PM

Good question hopetoquilt... I would say that if you washed them with a white t-shirt and the shirt is still white that is good, and you are all set.

As to others who are in question about the washing - as the swap requires that all fabrics used must be washed. That was a really good idea that hopetoquilt used - is to wash them with an old white t-shirt (wouldn't want you to ruin a good one), and if the shirt is still white you're good to go. Also, a product called Color Catchers that are found in the laundry section, is a good way to tell. Some colors, like the dark Batiks (reds,dark greens, dark blues,etc.) may need to be washed 2-3 times for all the excess color to run clear. Batiks are especially known for having extra dye in them.

Mariposa 04-04-2012 05:53 PM

*Perhaps also use white vinegar in the rinse** Just an idea~~