Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Batik Block Sampler ~~ Sign-ups Close May 30th, 2012 ~~ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/batik-block-sampler-%7E%7E-sign-ups-close-may-30th-2012-%7E%7E-t184834.html)

hopetoquilt 04-04-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by PinkLotus (Post 5117054)
Good question hopetoquilt... I would say that if you washed them with a white t-shirt and the shirt is still white that is good, and you are all set.

As to others who are in question about the washing - as the swap requires that all fabrics used must be washed. That was a really good idea that hopetoquilt used - is to wash them with an old white t-shirt (wouldn't want you to ruin a good one), and if the shirt is still white you're good to go. Also, a product called Color Catchers that are found in the laundry section, is a good way to tell. Some colors, like the dark Batiks (reds,dark greens, dark blues,etc.) may need to be washed 2-3 times for all the excess color to run clear. Batiks are especially known for having extra dye in them.

Thanks. This is my first block swap and I want to make sure I get it all correct. I absolutely adore batiks and am so excited about the exchange. I found 4 awesome fabrics today and washed them this evening. I will start cutting and piecing tomorrow.

Linda58 04-04-2012 09:33 PM

This sounds like a really fun swap, I love Batiks! Got to check my batiks to see if I have enough to do this swap.

Lady_Paquette 04-05-2012 08:43 AM

so any color, any sample block as long as its a batik? that sounds way cool. I may do this. I'm debating between this one and merry-go-round summer block swap. I might do both though. ^_^

PinkLotus 04-05-2012 12:20 PM

Hope so Linda58 :)

Lady_Paquette, yes, any Batik colors and any 12.5" pattern in sets of 12. If you do more than one set, the fabric and the pattern must be different :)

This one is going to be soooo much fun :thumbup:

moonrise 04-05-2012 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got one set done. The pattern is Antique Tile. I hope to do a second set too, but don't know yet what pattern. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]325615[/ATTACH]

moonrise 04-06-2012 01:38 AM

I'll make some Rail Fence blocks. I don't think I've ever made any before! :o It'll use up some of this jelly roll I bought awhile back. At the time, I was a little disappointed that a lot of the strips were virtually identical, but the duplicates will come in handy for this. :)

Note to self: Washing jelly roll strips isn't the most fun in the world. :shock: :hunf: ;)

hopetoquilt 04-06-2012 02:21 AM

Moonrise, your blocks look great! Mine will get done on Monday. I have off from work next week.

Annaquilts 04-06-2012 06:40 AM

Moonrise, the antique tiles are stunning. I sure hope I get one in the swap.

Originally Posted by moonrise (Post 5120369)
Got one set done. The pattern is Antique Tile. I hope to do a second set too, but don't know yet what pattern. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]325615[/ATTACH]

Mariposa 04-06-2012 06:45 AM

Pretty blocks, moonrise!

Annaquilts 04-06-2012 06:46 AM

I know I like both too but the merry go round pattern looks a bity scarey to me. I still need to do a sample block. I did do the last two of Deb's swaps including the Dresden plate. I learned how to do a Dresden plate through that and really enjoyed it. I am well under way with the batik blocks, one set done and one partially done. I'd say join both. Hopefully this weekend I can make my sample block for the merry go round swap and see if I can make it.

Originally Posted by Lady_Paquette (Post 5118559)
so any color, any sample block as long as its a batik? that sounds way cool. I may do this. I'm debating between this one and merry-go-round summer block swap. I might do both though. ^_^