Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boom 23, Night Owls 3 month group (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boom-23-night-owls-3-month-group-t305869.html)

Lstew2212 08-17-2019 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by bibliostone (Post 8290118)
Hello all, I haven't started on my blocks yet, but before I got my package, I did sew two for myself. Also, I started a medallion quilt with a stamp panel.

My tan did not work on this block. It is too busy and just blends into the block:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616142[/ATTACH]

This one with cream fabric came out better:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616143[/ATTACH]

Finally, here is the start of the medallion quilt that is now on hold until I get my boom blocks done:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616144[/ATTACH]

Great blocks and I love the medallion quilt.

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 8290151)
Great blocks everyone.

I finished the last little bit of Julia's "Florida beachy" block today, let's see if it is obvious what I was attempting (hopefully it is)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616148[/ATTACH]
Hope you like it Julia.

Great block, perfect looking sand dollar.

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8290189)
Busy this morning and into the afternoon sewing and making the first of my BOOM 23 blocks. My first block went pretty well until I stitch part of it front to front. That of course required a bit of frog stitching before I could finish the block I was making. My second block went well until the end when I looked at colors that should have match and it looked so not right that I was grateful to have enough fabric to make an entirely new block that came out just right. So I decided right then and there is this happens again who ever's block I am making will get both blocks!

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej (Post 8290351)
I made a few more blocks tonight. This one is for Isrishmom[ATTACH=CONFIG]616205[/ATTACH]
Bibliostone[ATTACH=CONFIG]616206[/ATTACH]
PamelaOry[ATTACH=CONFIG]616207[/ATTACH]

I am loving everyone's blocks, simply beautiful.

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8290420)
I got up early this morning and was able to make a single block before I get dressed and off to the farmer's market. I MUST get some tomatoes and cucumbers to get them canned up for this winter. Right now I am thinking how blessed I am to have a couple months to get these blocks done. I was able to get another block done this morning and maybe later in the day (depending on how much cooking I get done). Here is what I finished before 8:30 am this Saturday. Sorry about the shadow on the picture. It really is much brighter and the cream is very light.

My block is beautiful, I love it. Thank you.

sewbizgirl 08-17-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8290428)
What do you do when you head tells you the same block is perfect for someone else according to what was in the note? Go with it ?

There's nothing wrong with using the same block again in another person's fabric. A few times we have had swappers who made everyone the same block, but they all looked different due the different fabrics.

IrishMom 08-17-2019 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8290330)
Got one done tonight... It's a Christmas Star for IrishMom. It's a busy one! Hope not too busy...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616204[/ATTACH]

Sewbizgirl - -not too busy at all! I love all the movement, truly spectacular!

I made a few more blocks tonight. This one is for Irishmom[ATTACH=CONFIG]616205[/ATTACH]

Sewbizgirl -- It looks like several presents waiting to be opened! I haven't tried that technique before, super cool!

Thank you both for such amazing blocks!

PamelaOry 08-17-2019 06:57 AM

It’s not uncommon for people to make several of one block for boomers if they feel it’s the block for their fabric.

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8290428)
What do you do when you head tells you the same block is perfect for someone else according to what was in the note? Go with it ?

I made a few more blocks tonight. This one is for Isrishmom[ATTACH=CONFIG]616205[/ATTACH]
Bibliostone[ATTACH=CONFIG]616206[/ATTACH]
PamelaOry[ATTACH=CONFIG]616207[/ATTACH]

Thank you Queenbarbiej, I love it! Yummy bright candies, so cute!

sewbizgirl 08-17-2019 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm taking a break at the computer... Here's the one block I have made this morning, "Boxes" for QueenBarbiej:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616220[/ATTACH]

SuziSew 08-17-2019 09:48 AM

I have a dumb question, but wanted to check. When we send our fabric it is requested that we use fragrance free soap...I'm good with that, even rewashed the fabric I've pulled for the blocks. So the question is, what about using starch/or alternative? I've gotten in the habit of starching fabric for blocks because they cut and sew so much better. So is it okay? I use unscented Best Press...do you make your blocks with or without? Look forward to the responses.

PamelaOry 08-17-2019 10:37 AM

I aLao use starch before cutting and sewing as a matter of habit. My blocks come out so much better as a result. I think I even starched the 1/8ths that I sent out. Hope no one minds.

Libster 08-17-2019 11:02 AM

Some ladies use starch, some don't. Your preference, so far. We're a pretty easy group to get along with. Janice does stress nothing with a strong scent because it can trigger breathing problems for some people. I've received blocks done both ways. They've worked fine for me. I think the most important thing to remember is to pre-wash your fabrics because some can not take the chemicals in the unwashed fabrics. It affects the breathing and allergies.

bibliostone 08-17-2019 12:34 PM

I made a few more blocks tonight. This one is for Isrishmom[ATTACH=CONFIG]616205[/ATTACH]Bibliostone[ATTACH=CONFIG]616206[/ATTACH]PamelaOry[ATTACH=CONFIG]616207[/ATTACH]

Queenbarbiej, These are all great blocks. I especially love my colorful elephant. Thanks!

Cheesehead 08-17-2019 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This afternoon I made a block for Klaws.[ATTACH=CONFIG]616225[/ATTACH]