Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Christmas Ornament Swap 2016 is Open for Enrollment!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/christmas-ornament-swap-2016-open-enrollment-t281819.html)

NZquilter 11-01-2016 11:32 AM

I have many favorite cookie recipes for the holidays, but here is one I make every year:

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 tsp lemon extract
1tsp vanilla extract
2.5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

cream shortening. Add 1.5 cups sugar, beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and flavoring. Mix well.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix together.

Drop dough by heaping tsp about 3" apart onto greased cookie sheets. Gently press cookies flats with a fork. Sprinkle cookies with remaining sugar. Bake at 375 degrees until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Makes approximately 50.

dotcomdtcm 11-01-2016 11:58 AM

Every time the kids had to bring a recipe to school from "your family heritage", we made

Czechoslovakian Cookies

l. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease a 9 x 9" pan

3. Beat 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks, yes butter)
1 cup sugar

4. Add 2 egg yolks
a pinch of salt
2 cups flour
1 c chopped walnuts

5. With slightly floured hands, divide batter in half.
Pat 1/2 down in the pan, evenly

6. Spread 1/2 c strawberry preserves on top (or your favorite preserves)

7. Pinch off little pieces from remaining dough& drop on; don't press down.

8. Bake for 45 mins . Cool completely. Cut into bars.

Freezes well. Very easy to make & totally yummy

All2Pieces 11-01-2016 12:58 PM

Those cookies sound really good, Dotty.

Anoka Quilter 11-01-2016 04:44 PM

Thanks for posting the recipes. Who can't use a sugar cookie recipe and Dotty the Czechoslovakin Cookies sound really yummy. I may just have to give those a try this year.

NZquilter 11-01-2016 04:55 PM

I love the idea of the Czecosolvakian cookies this year!

Betty J 11-02-2016 02:49 AM

Wow! I just checked in and what a lovely surprise to see that you have chosen my Christmas decoration idea as a winner. Thank you so very much.

I will post a Christmas recipe tomorrow. I have used this recipe each year for almost through out my 50 years of marriage. The recipe is one that has been handed down through my husbands grandmothers and mother.

Betty J 11-02-2016 02:56 AM

Sorry, I misread the recipe post. Never the less I will post a candy recipe tomorrow. The one I had in mind was a Christmas dinner sweet.

Anoka Quilter 11-02-2016 08:39 AM

Betty, you can't tempt us and then leave us hanging, please post the original recipe you were going to share with us all. I love recipes that have been handed down from generation to generation. I also have one of those that we make every holiday and maybe I will dig it out and post it when I announce the winner on Monday, as it is a dessert.

klaws 11-02-2016 10:52 AM

I mailed my ornament package today. It should be delivered in a few days. :)

Anoka Quilter 11-02-2016 09:13 PM

Reminder.....Please put Ornament Swap on your package. You could also write on the package "Do Not Open Till Dec 3rd."

Many members are in multiple swaps and this will let people know to hold off on opening the package.

Also, there is plenty of time to post your recipe so you are included in the next contest. Deadline for Cookie or Candy recipes is Midnight November 6th.