Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/dear-jane-christmas-block-swap-closed-t23731.html)

bearisgray 09-13-2009 02:47 PM

Buddy's Mom - awesome blocks - love your fabrics

Tuesy - Pretty fabrics. I don't see the problem - but if it's bugging you, then I can understand wanting to get it "righter"

sandpat 09-13-2009 03:59 PM

Buddysmom...your blocks look awesome! I just love your fabric choices!

From the sound of some and from your issues Tuesy...it sounds like sometimes the easier (should be we think) ones turn out to be harder. I have tested 1 of mine, but not the other. (I did test one that BlueChicken is doing though :lol: )..I didn't get to start this weekend...but I will at least get the fabric washed. Sounds like with potential problems I might really need to get started now. :roll:

Rhonda 09-13-2009 04:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tuesy here is my take on the 9 patch.

I cut two strips 1 1/2" wide by however long you want.

I marked a 1/4" seam allowance on one to be sure I sewed an accurate seam. I am not a novice but I am not always real accurate. When you are doing minis where you have to have a specific size this is a smart thing to do to make sure you are accurate.

I trimmed the center strip to a 1" from the seam.

BTW I use copy paper to work out the bugs before I sew when I have something I haven't done before. You can cut and sew it just like fabric.

Have patience as I load these.

Rhonda 09-13-2009 04:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next I cut a third strip 1 1/2" and I marked the 1 /4" seam allowance

And sewed it onto the first two and then I ironed it.

Rhonda 09-13-2009 04:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now trim off the end and then cut three pieces off that are 1 1/2" sections.

Mark the seam allowance on one and pin or tack it to another section. Sew them together and iron them open.

Trim the center section to 1" from the seam. And add the third one. Now trim the outer strips 1" from the seam.

You will get a square that is 2 3/4" square

Rhonda 09-13-2009 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cut two squares that are 2 3/4"

Sew your 9 patches to the 2 3/4".

I highly recommend you continue to mark your 1/4" seam allowance. I did because I wanted to make absolutely sure my seam allowance was spot on.

I only did half of the block to show you. And remember the outside blocks are going to be bigger than the center because of the seam allowance.

Hope this helps.

Recap: cut strips 1 1/2"
trim to 1" from seam
cut sections at 1 1/2"
trim to 1" from seam
trim the two outside strips to 1" from seam.

You should have a square that is 2 3/4" add to 2 3/4" square = 5"

Rhonda 09-13-2009 04:44 PM

If you guys would prefer I can post this on it's own thread. I intend to start a redrafting thread just haven't taken time to yet. I wasn't sure whether to post it here or not. But since it was in answer to Tuesy I went ahead. I have no problem with moving it if that would be a better choice.

tuesy 09-13-2009 05:55 PM

NOO, don't move it!! I think it's great here so I can find it.. move things and I'll never find them..

Rhonda...((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) Thank you so much!! Between you and another member here who PMed me, I think I've got this in my head and can do it right...I just have to make sure to measure my 9 patch before I sew it onto the block.

Thank you again and to the member who PMed me!!! ((((((hugs)))))))) to you both!!

I'm going to try this tonight to see if it'll come out..

Rhonda 09-13-2009 06:14 PM

Tuesy I am glad if I helped you. Everybody has to find the method that works for them. I prefer to trim down as it allows for more accuracy but I also have my preferences and I respect anyone who has a differant approach.

bearisgray 09-13-2009 06:21 PM

There are some things that the trim down method makes my life easier - almost anything involving triangles comes to mind.

With strips, I try to make it come out fairly close just with the cutting and sewing.

I appreciate this board because I've learned different ways of doing things - I still tend to go back to the way I learned first, but it's nice to have alternatives.

I'm also learning that there are times that I can "fudge" by trimming components or making skimpy seams without wrecking the integrity of the block.