Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/dear-jane-christmas-block-swap-closed-t23731.html)

Rhonda 11-10-2009 02:11 PM

Where do you guys find all the fancy smilies? I suppose if I searched I would find some sites.

Klue I think the yoyo issue is sort of like the DJs. You can be a purist and prefer to stick to the exact or you can bend the rules and use your own version of it. I guess this is my version. Whatever you call it it makes it easier to do these Drunkard's Path Blocks. At least for me. Since it uses a cardboard template I think that makes it differant than just turning under a 1/4" seam allowance on a circle. I don't cut a perfect circle. I let the gathering around the cardboard form the circle.

Sorry Klue didn't mean to make too much out of this. Just thinking out loud here. I imagine if I looked up the directions of a yoyo you are undoubtedly right. For what it's worth I do appreciate your view point. The only way to learn is to bounce ideas off of each other.

Rhonda 11-10-2009 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bettia

Good tute Rhonda. :thumbup:

Thanks Bettia. I don't do things the way most people do so I tend to be in a world of my own!! My mom always preached being unique and do things differant from everone else and I guess I took that to heart!!
Some think I am weird at times!! LOL :roll: :roll: :roll:

kluedesigns 11-10-2009 02:21 PM

i don't think you making too much about it at all - i love these types of talks/debates. i'm not arguing with you, i see it as two people having a scholarly discussion to try and classify something.

we spend hours at guild talking like this and its my favorite part of guild.

its good to debate these things to bring it down to - what is that 1 thing that makes it this instead of that - basically a classification system.

the devil emoticon is right on the left of the text box when you're typing a post.

Rhonda 11-10-2009 05:02 PM

Oh I love to debate things too. Just didn't want to sound like I was stepping on any toes. I tend to be one sided my side!! LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was so excited when I figured out this shortcut! I didn't have anyone to tell about it and it just about did me in! I wanted so badly to show someone. So when I found this board a couple of years later I was so happy to have someone to share these things with!!

The journey of discovery is the best part of quilting for me! I love discovering how to do something new!

Back to the discussion: A yoyo is made by cutting a circle of fabric and using a template? drawing up the circle with a basted thread correct? or not?

I guess I have never actually read through the directions for a yoyo.

kluedesigns 11-10-2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Oh I love to debate things too. Just didn't want to sound like I was stepping on any toes. I tend to be one sided my side!! LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was so excited when I figured out this shortcut! I didn't have anyone to tell about it and it just about did me in! I wanted so badly to show someone. So when I found this board a couple of years later I was so happy to have someone to share these things with!!

The journey of discovery is the best part of quilting for me! I love discovering how to do something new!

Back to the discussion: A yoyo is made by cutting a circle of fabric and using a template? drawing up the circle with a basted thread correct? or not?

I guess I have never actually read through the directions for a yoyo.

bearisgray has the classification of what makes a yoyo a yoyo correct when guild had the huge yoyo debate.

"I've always thought of yo-yos as those circles where the pulled up edges touched in the center - and then were sewn down/up/together - and the little things could be sewn together - or made into flowers - or something"

a yoyo should be seen as visually complete from both sides and either side can be used and sewn into a project and bulk removal isn't done.

its the gathering of bulk that makes it a yoyo. templates or not doesn't matter.

many people make yoyos without using a template. we had one lady in our guild that could cut a perfect free hand circle and make a yoyo in her sleep.

in your case you use a template and you gather but you lack the bulk of a yoyo. you use an easy way to basically do a needle turn applique and you go behind and cut out bulk just like most people do when doing applique.

you would have to start with more fabric, more gathers, and have just a tiny opening in the center of the gathers to make the "classic yoyo".

Shemjo 11-10-2009 05:50 PM

Interesting discussion.

Rhonda 11-10-2009 05:59 PM

Maybe we need a new classification of these as the new fangled yoyos. I do sometimes have the fabric meet in the middle. It just isn't my first priority.

I cut a fabric circle. I then run a thread around the circle. With a template I then pull the fabric into a circle with a hole on one side. At this point the "Yoyo" I made and your yoyo are the same.
Then I take out the template. Before I use my yoyo it is the same as yours. The only differance is I used a template to get a good circle shape.

I don't cut a perfect circle just because it is a time saver not to. I have the template instead to create the shape. Same differance. I need a more accurate circle to make the DP blocks. The ones in the directions I saw were not good circles when finished. Tho they began with a perfect 4" circle.

If I cut a large enough fabric circle I will have a yoyo that is the same on both sides with a tiny hole in one side. With the bulk. I cut mine randomly by eye.

After you get done with your yoyos you choose to sew them together into a quilt or project.
I use mine to sew onto a background square. Up to this point the yoyos are the same.

I just choose to use mine to make Drunkard's Path blocks by sewing them onto a background and cutting it into 4 pieces. Then I trim because I don't like the thickness. But you don't have to trim. It can stay the way it is.

The definitive thing for me in this is I could take your yoyo and sew it onto a background square and cut into 4 and trim and you would not know which one was my yoyo or yours.

How I use the yoyo is not the definition of a yoyo. I use them to add to a square. The traditional is is to sew them together. But the yoyos are still the same thing no matter how you use them.

Knowing I am going to trim them later I usually make the circles smaller than you do. But the steps are still the same. In the end the yoyos look the same. I have just cut back on the size of the underside to accomadate this project.

bearisgray 11-10-2009 06:14 PM

I looked up "how to make a yo-yo"

I think one of the big differences is that the raw edge is turned in/down and THEN the basting/gathering stitches are sewn in.

So when the threads are drawn up, the edge is "finished" around the hole

http://www.quilterscache.com/Y/Yo-YoQuiltingBlock.html

This explains/illustrates what I've thought was a yo-yo

kluedesigns 11-10-2009 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I looked up "how to make a yo-yo"

I think one of the big differences is that the raw edge is turned in/down and THEN the basting/gathering stitches are sewn in.

So when the threads are drawn up, the edge is "finished" around the hole

http://www.quilterscache.com/Y/Yo-YoQuiltingBlock.html

This explains/illustrates what I've thought was a yo-yo

thats what we consider a yoyo too - its finished from both sides.

rhonda the thing your making is not finished - it isn't a stand alone product from both sides.

kluedesigns 11-10-2009 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
rhonda

you're doing a modified idea of this except they use an iron to turn under the seam allowance and they actually end up with a finished product that looks like it was traditionally pieced instead of doing a top stitch all along the top near the edge.

you're block look like a top stitched applique and there's ends up looking like it was traditionally pieced but its all turning under a seam of a circle to end up with a drunkards path.