Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Flowers that Bloom in the Spring - TraLa TraLa - SIGN UPS CLOSED (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/flowers-bloom-spring-trala-trala-sign-ups-closed-t116299.html)

Deb watkins 05-16-2011 05:02 PM

Oh no, already had two drop out.....

tolepainter54 05-16-2011 06:15 PM

I'm sorry to hear that! They will miss the fun!

Karen 05-16-2011 06:30 PM

OK....WHAT IS THE SECRET TO THE CENTER?!!! Trully..Deb did you turn the edge under or just applique it down? It looks so big

rfbrazell 05-16-2011 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my first attempt at a dresden pattern. I think it came out pretty good. I am going to use a light yellow for the center and I am still researching the leave pattern.
when I cut out my templates I put it on a grid and saw that the petals were 2 1/2 inches wide and a lightbulb went off. I've got a ton of jelly rolls and they are 21/2 wide. Probably the rest of the great group already knew that. I cut the strips to lentgh and stack them by 4 and got them all cut out in less than 30 minutes.
So there ya go.
I post another pick tomorrow when I get the whole block done.l

R

sapdoggie 05-16-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by rfbrazell
Here is a pic of my first attempt at a dresden pattern. I think it came out pretty good. I am going to use a light yellow for the center and I am still researching the leave pattern.
when I cut out my templates I put it on a grid and saw that the petals were 2 1/2 inches wide and a light bulb went off. I've got a ton of jelly rolls and they are 21/2 wide. Probably the rest of the great group already knew that. I cut the strips to length and stack them by 4 and got them all cut out in less than 30 minutes.
So there ya go.

R

Wow - great idea. Thanks for sharing :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

sapdoggie 05-16-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Oh no, already had two drop out.....

Hope they are OK and just busy. Certainly no one scared them away ;) ;) ;)

Deb watkins 05-17-2011 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Karen
OK....WHAT IS THE SECRET TO THE CENTER?!!! Trully..Deb did you turn the edge under or just applique it down? It looks so big

Karen, here is my secret - which really isn't. I take the cheaters way out for this. I cut the center about 1/2 inch larger than the template. I sew my center fabric to a piece of scrap muslin or white scrap, with rst....all the way around. Make a slit in the muslin and turn right side out. I use an orange stick to really poke the circle out. Press well and blanket stitch.

Deb watkins 05-17-2011 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by rfbrazell
when I cut out my templates I put it on a grid and saw that the petals were 2 1/2 inches wide and a lightbulb went off. I've got a ton of jelly rolls and they are 21/2 wide. Probably the rest of the great group already knew that. I cut the strips to lentgh and stack them by 4 and got them all cut out in less than 30 minutes.
So there ya go.

R

Great start! Looking good!

Crafty3790 05-17-2011 06:21 AM

So how many are we now?

QuilterMomma 05-17-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins

Originally Posted by Karen

Karen, here is my secret - which really isn't. I take the cheaters way out for this. I cut the center about 1/2 inch larger than the template. I sew my center fabric to a piece of scrap muslin or white scrap, with rst....all the way around. Make a slit in the muslin and turn right side out. I use an orange stick to really poke the circle out. Press well and blanket stitch.

I do this as well except I use fusible interfacing. Being sure that I do not press until the sticky side of interfacing is out and then adhere to dresden plate then blanket stitch. This way it is stuck down when I put it on and does not shift. Eleanor Burns shows this in her teaching videos and you can you tube it.