Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   November 2014 - February 2015 Wall Hanging Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/november-2014-february-2015-wall-hanging-swap-t256194.html)

Aurora 12-19-2014 04:05 AM

J,

I am currently working on a Stitching Annie for my sewing room. I just ordered a new pattern from Stitches in Time for a blackwork quilt. I have several redwork patterns that I would like to do. Always have one laying on my sewing table for a little quick time-out. Of course, there is always the possibly it will become a future wall hanging swap candidate. One never knows.

JNCT14 12-19-2014 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice! Now here is a question - what makes it redwork? I was thinking about embroidering the center panel but I wanted the quilting lines on the back so I am going to hand quilt it instead.
Is redwork just a motif stitched in red or is it an embroidered motif in red?

(I need to go look that one up!)

Here is my WH - borders are quilted and ready for hand stitching.

Aurora 12-19-2014 05:17 PM

J,

I didn't want to steer you wrong -- I found this on line. "Redwork is a form of embroidery which uses red floss to trace simple line drawings. Redwork can be done in other colors, changing the name to greenwork or bluework, etc. Redwork done in black is called Black Redwork because Blackwork refers to a specific single thread embroidery technique. It became popular during the Victorian era as women searched for new ways to decorate their homes. The idea of Redwork came to America from Europe, where it was called "Turkey work". Turkey red was one of the few colorfast colors of the time.

I found this on Quiltbug. It goes fast for me and I don't have to change colors. I usually do outline hand quilting around the embroidered design. Hope this answers you question.

Also, I use a .01 Brown Pigma Pen. It is easily covered and easy to see.

JNCT14 12-20-2014 02:34 AM

ahhh. So I think I am going to use a running stitch on the motif but red thread, not floss and sew through all the layers. This way the design will be on the back and the front. Hopefully it comes out ok!

ube quilting 12-20-2014 01:24 PM

J, Just check your red thread for bleeding. I have had that happen to me in the past. Threw out two full spools of red thread after I starched some piecing and found the red thread bled.

I like the idea of having the pattern show on both sides.
peace

JNCT14 12-21-2014 06:45 AM

Thanks ube, just did. Kind of ironic that back in the day they used Turkey Red because it lasted longer than other colors, and these days we worry about color bleed?��

Kassaundra 12-21-2014 02:20 PM

I have been lurking for a while, still trying to decide if I have time to join, but I have a question, I did not see it specifically addressed in the beginning instructions. Does the fabric have to be cotton?

JNCT14 12-22-2014 02:11 AM

Just because I am curious, Kassaundra, what are you thinking of using?

JuneBillie 12-22-2014 05:06 AM

When you girls do hand embroidery that will be used in a quilt do you put any type of stabilizer under it?

Aurora 12-22-2014 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 7017238)
When you girls do hand embroidery that will be used in a quilt do you put any type of stabilizer under it?

I don't. I use a heavyweight muslin and the knots/stitches never show through.