Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Rhonda's Very First Wall Hanging Swap!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/rhondas-very-first-wall-hanging-swap-t190538.html)

marytoddliz 10-01-2012 11:39 PM

Nancia, be brave and smile through those tears! I love his quilt, it is beautiful, and your Tiger is so majestic. But I am very partial to orange tiger Cats, I have 3 of them!

What is the name of the pattern you used?

Everose 10-02-2012 06:11 AM

Nancia, your son's quilt is wonderful. Love all those fabrics together. Yes, today will be hard. But I learned that I need to show them the tears, because they are so special to us. Hugs coming your way.

JuneBillie 10-03-2012 07:31 PM

Nancia those colors in your son's quilt are so pretty. The pattern is nice too. I love how you put it together. Your kitty is so sweet too. Mine is sitting in my lap right now, wondering when I am going to stop typing, and pet him.

JuneBillie 10-03-2012 07:34 PM

Oh, my update. I have worked a lot on my 4 blocks today. I must confess though, I started over with a different design in mind. I didn't like where I was going before. I would work on the one before, but didn't have the fun with it as I am now. So that made the decision for me. A persons got to have fun! :D

marytoddliz 10-03-2012 07:37 PM

Mine is done, I like how it turned out. I sure hope who ever gets it likes it!
I have a question should I put a sleeve and a dowel in the finished wall hanging?

It would be no problem, just not sure what is expected.

nancia 10-03-2012 07:47 PM

i forget ---are we supposed to mail our wallhanging to rhonda, or just post pictures and then she tells us who to send it to? i'm started!! i've finished the 1st 3 quilts--son's was one, then one for a sick friend of his, who probably is not going to make it. very sad, and one for a little girl to whom i promised it a year ago. oh, yeah.... still have to finish my dgd's. well, i'm catching up. sort of:o

nancia 10-04-2012 03:00 PM

Thanks for the nice comments. The pattern is my own, but very simple. I used charms and strips. Each rectangle has 5 2.5" squares and 2 10.5" strips. The end pieces are cut from the same strip as the10.5" strips so that it makes a box. The remaining 3 squares are hi contrast and made by cutting charms into 2.5" squares. i sewed an end piece to a contrast square, and then the next two contrast squares and end with the strip colored piece. Press seams any way you want, there is no matching! Sew a 10.5" strip on each side and you are done. i squared the blocks to the smallest size and added sashing to the right hand side of each block, and to both sides of the left hand blocks. then sewed the blocks for each horizontal row together. measured each row and trimmed all to the shortest length. i made the horizontal sashing from lengthwise fabric to avoid having joins in the strip. each row has 7 vertical blocks. there are 6 rows, so you will need 42 blocks. i stitched in the ditch with my brother , ashley. backed it in pieced solid blue and bound in the same fabric. sooooo easy! it took longer than i expected, but i did finish in less than 3 weeks which is a land speed record for me! my son is sleeping with it as we speak! he posted a picture on his facebook page. 8-)

tiger is the least intimidating cat you will ever meet! he is a total marshmallow! he loves for me to dry him off after he's been rained on. he likes it so much that he goes back out to get wet again and then comes to me to dry him. then he will groom and sleep as close to me as he can. he also twists like a pretzel! he is a rescue and came from an abusive and neglectful home. and he still trusts people and loves to be loved. God bless him! have to say i have never met a marmalade cat that wasn't the sweetest animal ever!

Rhonda 10-04-2012 04:05 PM

The hanging sleeve is up to each quilter. It would be nice but not required.

Rhonda 10-04-2012 04:06 PM

I will be sending out addresses on the 30th of Oct so then you will send to the address you receive.

QuilterMomma 10-05-2012 07:36 AM

I am plugging along, just not getting the blocks embroidered. Ugh, I better get busy. I know what colors and such to use for the blocks and thought maybe I would dig out my Eleanor Burns Flying Geese ruler to add to the outer border and put them around. It might add to the fun of it. Could also do an applique border with some fun hats for elements from the center. Hmmm, going to have to focus so I can get done.