Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Sign up for august 2012 amish solids doll quilt swap closes july 31st (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/sign-up-august-2012-amish-solids-doll-quilt-swap-closes-july-31st-t195348.html)

buslady 07-25-2012 04:06 PM

Me too, me too! I wanna play. Pm sent last week!

marytoddliz 07-25-2012 07:42 PM

I went and googled the Amish quilt, since I did not know the answer, wow, how interesting the subject is! I thought they were the "first" quilters in the USA, was very interesting information.

I am going to dig through my stash and ufo boxes, see what I have that would work, and if I can get it finished in time~ I will let you know before the deadline... AND BTW, I am ready for the quiz, I read every word!:D

Crazy Quiltin Robin 07-25-2012 08:09 PM

I found a pattern I love with a tweek here and one there I can make it doll quilt size ...lol.... ready to go .....yesssssssss

Dragonfly Nana 07-26-2012 03:11 AM

I finished my top last night and I have to tell you that while I am please with how it turned out - it was a stinker make. I guess that is what I get for reducing a 12" block to make it as a 4" block. I made 16 of the blocks to get the pattern I wanted to show for the Amish DQ.

I really give credit to those of you who do the teeny-tiny pieces on a regular basis. I would be bloody and blind if I did them all the time.:eek:

Elisabrat 07-26-2012 04:14 AM

first: Marytoddliz I thought the info was pretty facinating too and certain type blocks are more prevailant (spell check please!). I think everyone should read a paragraph or two at least .. it makes the block have more meaning for me.
and now onto Dragonfly: Paula I am with you 100 percent on the darned tiny pieces. I feel blind as it is these days when I try to pick a seam out. Heck with 1,000 seams. Of course what always catches my eye? a postage stamp quilt. maybe its cause I won't make one. Heck with 100 triangles per 12 inch block also. Maybe I am a quick rewards type person? I lost it last night cutting my DQ. The stupid book (or is it stupid me?) kept saying cute the navy red flower x times, the ecru x times, the blue red flower blah blah blah. Great.I am using black and red andblue and kept cutting the wrong ones. I am off now at 5 am with a fresh mind to try to finish that cutting. Coffee is a magical thing. (I hope).

AKDaffyodil 07-27-2012 01:08 PM

I'm in for August!

Elisabrat 07-27-2012 05:02 PM

ok I am back. After cutting enough "wrong" pieces I finally got the correct amount. Next time I will stick to quilters cache as I think instructions there are sooo simple. not even a hard block to sew. Big trouble? I hate it. Hate the colors. Could grow on me, could decorate the recycle bin. I have sewn half. On a 12" block not hard. I stopped four times saying ugh..as in ugly. Good colors, good combos. Why do I hate it? I never ever sew much with solids. I think finger prints, way too hard to keep clean, boring? And these are NOT boring colors. What is wrong with me? Should I scrap it? suggestions? shoot-a-roonie. I am frustrated. (whine whine whine get over it..)

Dragonfly Nana 07-27-2012 05:16 PM

Elisabrat - I vote you keep at it (that may be the fighter in me that will NOT let a block defeat me). I had to re sew one of my blocks 3 times to get the placement right but it was worth it in the end!

And I did not know anyone could quilt without coffee - maybe it is just me.:D

Nancy in Louisiana 07-27-2012 05:30 PM

Found a book and some solid color strips and am good to go. Always fun to try new stuff

marytoddliz 07-27-2012 09:41 PM

OK, I am in! I have the colors picked out my hubby agreed to cut for me and I have been doing some straight seam with very little pain.

I go to Dr on Tuesday and see what he says. My left hand is much better now. I am left handed and have been totally babying it... But My right wrist is not so good! so maybe Tuesday I will get a new set of Xrays.

I tell ya, I am so blessed, but I will never take my hands for granted again~

I will mail my DQ to my partner Nana Val on Monday, it is so great to have quilting friends.