Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Think Spring Paper Pieced Block Swap With a "Twist" - Signup is Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/think-spring-paper-pieced-block-swap-twist-signup-closed-t210369.html)

Jannie 01-11-2013 07:55 PM

You say "Block sizes may range from 4 1/2" unfinished to 8 1/2" unfinished. " Does this mean blocks can also be 5" or 6" or anything in between or just the 4 1/2" unfinished or 8 1/2" unfinished?

Annaquilts 01-11-2013 08:03 PM

OK I though I had a pile of 3 1/2 in. blocks but they are 4 in. blocks. Would they fit in either one? Please don't tell me it is the only size that can't be used.

rwquilts 01-12-2013 09:34 AM

Welcome Anna and Marcialee! So glad you gals are joining in the fun!

To clarify a couple of things...Spring colors are pastels, but can also include some brights...things you see in the spring...the grass is a brighter, lighter green, the yellows of tulips and chickies, crocus flowers are so pretty, even some reds in tulips...I love 30's prints, but they're not really fresh spring colors and are more muted, so I prefer we stick to the theme so all the blocks will match even though we'll all be working on different size blocks and using different patterns?

Okay, size wise: the twist is for 3" (3 1/2" unfinished) blocks ONLY. This one we have to keep to the same size.
For the regular PP blocks, the sizes acceptable are at a minimum of 4"finished (4 1/2" unfinished) to a maximum of 8" (8 1/2" unfinished). You may make blocks any size that fits within these guidelines. 5", 6", etc. are fine. If you have a block you want to make that's too small, you may add a simple border to make it work. This gives everyone a HUGE range of flexibility to use a ton of different variety of blocks. Also, because you may also use traditional and geometric patterns in addition to themed patterns, it's really important that we stick to the Spring Colors so everything with match. Remember, we're using whites and white on whites for background! :) Whew! I need to take a nap now...LOL!

Annaquilts 01-12-2013 11:21 AM

OK I will need to think about it. I think I ran into this before. I am using linda Causee's book
http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Qui.../dp/1402740417
Unfortunately she has tons of small blocks that are 4 in. unfinnished none 3 1/2 in. unfinnished and none 4 1/2 in. unfinnished. I know odd size the 4 in. unfinnished. Adding just 1/2in. , quarter inch all around sounds hard to me. You talked before about having a swap that we could use this book so I thought this was it. I need to see what I can come up with. Also thank you for pointing out we can use geometrics etc. I prefer the more thematic but maybe I can find some free designs online of the geometric or traditional blocks that fit the size requirements. How you explained the colors is very helpful. I had gathered all pastels but a dash of slightly brighter fabric will really add.

dottie dodge 01-12-2013 11:51 AM

I'm thinking about this. I do like to paper piece but I have a lot in the pot right now. Another place that has free paper pieced patterns is
www.quiltiger.com Thinking......

dottie dodge 01-12-2013 12:13 PM

And don't forget about www.quilterscache.com She lists her patterns by size and tells you if they are paper pieced or traditional or a combination and how difficult they are.

SewExtremeSeams 01-12-2013 02:30 PM

Love the lure of pp.

Annaquilts 01-12-2013 02:31 PM

Thank you dottie for the free links.

rwquilts 01-12-2013 03:05 PM

Anna, I posted four sites with free paper pieced blocks in post #3 and Krystyna also posted two free sites in post #9 you may want to look at as well? As for Linda Causee's book...you can use the larger blocks as they fit within the size requirements and you can add more than a 1/2" border to the smaller blocks...they don't have to be 4 1/2"...they can finish at 5" , 5 1/2" etc. Just not huge wide borders, but you can add borders that aren't tiny. So technically, you can use every pattern in your book! :) (I have the book too and maybe we'll be doing the same blocks? Ha ha ha! ) Hope this helps. :)

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 5781058)
OK I will need to think about it. I think I ran into this before. I am using linda Causee's book
http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Qui.../dp/1402740417
Unfortunately she has tons of small blocks that are 4 in. unfinnished none 3 1/2 in. unfinnished and none 4 1/2 in. unfinnished. I know odd size the 4 in. unfinnished. Adding just 1/2in. , quarter inch all around sounds hard to me. You talked before about having a swap that we could use this book so I thought this was it. I need to see what I can come up with. Also thank you for pointing out we can use geometrics etc. I prefer the more thematic but maybe I can find some free designs online of the geometric or traditional blocks that fit the size requirements. How you explained the colors is very helpful. I had gathered all pastels but a dash of slightly brighter fabric will really add.

rwquilts 01-12-2013 03:06 PM

Thanks Dottie for the suggestions for Anna! You and Linda (SewExtreme) know you want to join in the fun! :)