Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Think Spring Paper Pieced Block Swap With a "Twist" - Signup is Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/think-spring-paper-pieced-block-swap-twist-signup-closed-t210369.html)

Annaquilts 01-12-2013 03:09 PM

Ronda, I thought about adding a wider border but since the block is 4 I was thinking maybe it would look out of proportion. I might try one and see how I like it. Maybe it will look OK also since this time around we are doing traditional and geometric shapes too.

rwquilts 01-12-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 5781513)
Ronda, I thought about adding a wider border but since the block is 4 I was thinking maybe it would look out of proportion. I might try one and see how I like it. Maybe it will look OK also since this time around we are doing traditional and geometric shapes too.

Absolutely! Give it a try and see what you think? If nothing else, you can make the smaller blocks to add to your own collection if you don't like adding a border and check out all the fun free stuff on the different internet sites...I think we have 7 or 8 posted now...that will keep us busy for sure? :) Good luck! Can't wait to hear how things go! I just got through spending 3 days re-organzing my sewing room and am getting ready to pull out patterns and fabrics and get busy paper piecing! I usually have some blocks to post for you guys by now...next week I promise to have some visual aids! :)

quiltpd 01-12-2013 04:09 PM

Gotta finish a couple of things first. Sounds like fun.

moonwork42029 01-12-2013 07:35 PM

As a suggestion also, you can enlarge the patterns on a copier so they finish out larger. I've done this several times for paper piecing and it works great. I have enlarged many 6" into a 12" this way. I don't care to work with the tiny pieces and this helps me so much.

Also, I wouldn't be without the "Add a Quarter" ruler for paper piecing any more...it's terrific!

Have fun... I'm over booked as it is or I'd be tempted too.

lovngrandma 01-12-2013 08:08 PM

thank you rwquilts, im looking forward to this one, im in a few but only doing one set , of many of the swaps that have sets, so as to get in a few more, and then i have the 2 that all year long, but that keeps me busy and happy and all , so im enjoying all this eye candy, with the different blocks, and is the block on our pic as u, the drooping tulips i think did u make that , and if so what is the name, please

MizMelly 01-13-2013 08:01 AM

I am VERY tempted. My schedule is open this spring, and I LOVE paper piecing! I have just about every book ever published, old issues of Foundation Piecer, Sew Precise CDs, and lots of patterns that I've snagged off the internet. I use newsprint paper (you can buy it by the ream at any good paper store), and it makes tearing off the foundation backing much easier than using regular bond. It's cheaper too since you don't waste as much paper when printing. I can enlarge and reduce on my printer also, so I can do any size. What fun....
I'll PM soon.....

rwquilts 01-13-2013 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by MizMelly (Post 5783005)
I am VERY tempted. My schedule is open this spring, and I LOVE paper piecing! I have just about every book ever published, old issues of Foundation Piecer, Sew Precise CDs, and lots of patterns that I've snagged off the internet. I use newsprint paper (you can buy it by the ream at any good paper store), and it makes tearing off the foundation backing much easier than using regular bond. It's cheaper too since you don't waste as much paper when printing. I can enlarge and reduce on my printer also, so I can do any size. What fun....
I'll PM soon.....

Sounds like you need to join in the fun here for sure! Look forward to your PM. :)

Lovnggrandma my avatar is paper pieced. The pattern is Caroline Lily. I will have some blocks to show this week! :)

Krystyna 01-13-2013 01:18 PM

I've been looking through some pp patterns I've saved to me computer over time, but ... the ones I like most say they're a 3" block! Ronda, I am so clueless. You'll have to help me.

rwquilts 01-13-2013 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 5783748)
I've been looking through some pp patterns I've saved to me computer over time, but ... the ones I like most say they're a 3" block! Ronda, I am so clueless. You'll have to help me.

Krystyna, when it says it's 3" block, that means it's also 3 1/2" unfinished. :) Or 4", 5", 6" etc.?

Okay, this is one block I'm considering doing for this swap. It's not a Spring theme, but is done in spring colors! The name is Card Trick. What do you think? These will be 6" finished blocks.

almond 01-13-2013 04:34 PM

I think your card trick would be great. It works out well in spring colors