Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Quilting Bee: One Block/Month Swap (Please see message from MadeinMaine on page 201) >

Quilting Bee: One Block/Month Swap (Please see message from MadeinMaine on page 201)

Quilting Bee: One Block/Month Swap (Please see message from MadeinMaine on page 201)

Old 06-12-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Gwen told me about this and suggested I might try it. I'm still a really new quilter. I took my first paper piecing class this week. I'm getting most of my seams to match etc. but color will probably be my nemesis for a long time.

Do I need to send fabric to the other person? With so many different greens, blues and so on, how would I know what is the right one?

Sorry, I'm sounding really needy and I don't need to be. I think I might need adoption. :D
Hi lab fairy and welcome! For this swap, you don't send any fabric out. Each participant requests a color scheme and/or theme and you may interpret that as you like. For example, my color/theme is "pinwheels in black plus one color". As you can see from the pictures I just posted above, kwiltkrazy took my theme in a couple of different directions. Now, please know she was exceedingly generous (and I, extremely fortunate! LOL.) and she sent three blocks instead of just one.

This is a great swap for beginners because it only requires one block each month. I find it to be a wonderful opportunity to try new things and with 4 weeks to complete one block, if my first try doesn't work, then I have plenty of time to try again. I hope you feel comfortable jumping in. We'd love to have you join us!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. I think this looks like a lot of fun. Now I have to think of something which is my hardest part. I am still trying to decide what to repaint my son's (married last October) horribly RED bedroom. Not a room with red accents mind you but a shocking, in your face red. You would think I could choose something (anything) that would be better than that. I'm getting a little better but I really need to find a color wheel. I don't think I have a right side to my brain yet.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
I'm very glad they please you.
Can you show some of the other pinwheels you have received?
I really like the twisted sister pattern, my mom and I made 12 of those quilts for all her grandchildren, and it didn't take us that long. It was before I learned to machine quilt, so we tied them all. Very fast with three people tying them, we used the international knot, so there were no external strings.

I really did enjoy making your NYBeauty. The inside curve was a bit tricky, but I used plenty of pins and it turned out well. I always enjoy a new challenge. If you don't try, you'll never learn, right? And now I know I CAN make them.
:lol: :lol:

These are the first pinwheels I've received. I participated in this swap last winter but then dropped for a few months. Working on a tight budget and need to stick to using stash as much as possible. I'm in a better place now and and am so happy to be back in the swap. The pinwheels are my new theme and I'm excited to see what's to come in the months ahead. Thank you again!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Thank you for the quick reply. I think this looks like a lot of fun. Now I have to think of something which is my hardest part. I am still trying to decide what to repaint my son's (married last October) horribly RED bedroom. Not a room with red accents mind you but a shocking, in your face red. You would think I could choose something (anything) that would be better than that. I'm getting a little better but I really need to find a color wheel. I don't think I have a right side to my brain yet.

Choosing your theme or colors can be very difficult. I mulled it over for a week: 1930's . . . blue/white . . . red/white . . . houses . . . . Finally settled on pinwheels. Also, you can change your theme/colors down the road if you want to. As quilters, we so often make things for others that we seldom get to say, "I'd really love this FOR ME". Best of luck!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 PM

I am very fortunate that you came back. It was my pleasure, I really had fun planning your spinning 3-D pinwheels.

Lab fairy you should join, it's a hoot. This was my first swap and I just loved it. Hope to see you around the swap.
Lucinda(kwiltkrazy)
Old 06-13-2010, 04:59 AM

Please drop me from the July list....I have several projects and family things going on this summer and I just don't like being so far behind ( I just finished my May swap) I hope to come back in the fall when things settle down a bit. I have enjoyed this swap and I thanks all of my swap partners for their lovely purple blocks, when I get a chance I will post my collection.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Here's my May beauty from Quiltmom. It's awesome...so many little pieces and I just love all the different fabrics!

This one is my June block from ljdugas31, Look at the darling little counted cross stitch in the middle. Isn't it just too cute!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85257[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85251.jpe   attachment-85252.jpe  
Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 PM

Oh, those two are definitely treasures.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM

I decided to come and play. I hope Blueribbontoes received my message but I just realized I should have checked the Private message page. I am not sure it actually got sent. Should I try again?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:25 PM

Fantastic!