Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Repeat a Boom  NEw New New - Signups Closed >

Repeat a Boom NEw New New - Signups Closed

Repeat a Boom NEw New New - Signups Closed

Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 PM

the extra padding does not help with the knees. No matter how I trip/fall - it is always the right knee. Going up stars is not good.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 AM

I have 3 blocks left to do. And I am home alone for nearly 2 weeks. I think I will be fine!! Can't wait to get home tonight and start my weekend! Already have 2 of them cut out and the third one material chosen. I usually do one at a time, but jumped on these the other night!! Can't wait to get them back and put them with the fast and furious group so I can make this quilt. Making it extra big for my king size bed. I'm thinking of doing it in quarters for the quilting and then sewing the quarters together. I'm thinking this will be easier to handle on my home machine. Anyone tried this before?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 AM

Buslady! Wow, I thought the same thing... I want to machine quilt, but don't have the energy to tug a big quilt around using my home sewing machine. I don't mind a baby size quilt, but I just don't have the desire with something larger. I've put together a quilt top in sections and now I'm going to try doing as you suggest. It's my first time doing it that way. Any tips, anyone? I thought I'd quilt the pieces, then sew the seams for the top, hand stitch the seams on the back, then bind it. I'm not too excited about it because I like the quilt lines to be flowing across the top, and with this option they will stop abruptly at the seam line. So, it's sort of a practice thing that I don't care about very much... I want to see how it goes.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:21 AM

I quilt in rows. I do the first row. then I do a second row and sew those together. I have to hand sew the back down but it looks fine and I can handle that. Doing rows is not so heavy and hard to deal with. It does get heavy when you get near the end of the rows but it is not like having to deal with the whole top all the time. then I add the broders and it really is easy doing the borders. I just scrunch up the quilt and work on each border to quilt. Then I add my binding.

If you all need a picture of one that I have done I will take one.

Nelco.....tripping up the stairs is always a huge ouchie. I landed more on my left knee and rolled. LOL. I have a bruise now but I am ok.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:31 AM

Here is mine so far, just to give you an idea of what the quilt will look like. I am embroidering tea cups in the centers. I think that it is going to look really nice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470154[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1049.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 06:36 AM

Today I am going to a workshop. We are going to be doing a reproduction of an olde quilt but we will be using scrappy squares of today's fabric. Plus it will have a medallion center. I had to cut 72 6 1/2 inch blocks. Phew. And they all had to be different. Mine is definitely going to be scrappy. The problem with medallion quilts is that I quilt as I go so I have to do the Medallion first and then quilt each border as it is added on. So I may not totally put this quilt together and then maybe I will as we have a lady near here who will do the large quilts in a meandering pattern for $45. I might just cough up the dough for that. I'll decide as I put this puppy together today. LOL
Old 04-05-2014, 07:15 AM

urgodschild2, sure! I'd love to see how you QAYG. Could you take some pictures? How does your seam look on the back? How close to you quilt to the edge of the row, near where you will make the seam for the next row? Does it mean you don't have quilting for about an inch around both sides of where the seam to put them together goes? Do you go back and quilt in the ditch for where you sew the rows together? If so, how does it look on the back then?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:36 PM

Ok tomorrow I will take some pict. and show you how I do it.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:55 PM

Ok, I'll check back to see how you do it. I'd like to machine quilt, but I don't like struggling with a big quilt! I've seen several methods, including sewing the complete top, then quilting from the center out, adding the batting and the back in pieces...
Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 AM

Count me in....would love to learn how to do this. I have quilted 3 large quilts on my machine. Tiring! And not much control of free motion stitching!