Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DustysMomma View Post
    Hmm, I'm thinking on this one. I guess it depends on how much arm twisting I get, lol. I have all sorts of woodsy stuff I can use if anyone's into that.
    Okay, I'm not into woodsy stuff, BUT, I am twisting your arm, cause I am sure there are people here who are.....AND I will guarantee you will have FUN!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    i've already expressed that i like teddy bears over black bears, but i like pandas, who may not actually be bears, but anyway, i like trees. dh got his degree in forestry. o, i think it's koalas that aren't bears. anyway. you could make one with flamingos ! i love flamingos!! they are just kinda 'out there!, ya know? in my family room i have a 2' tall flamingo nightlight, a frog side table, a 3' monkey on the wall, so i could use some more wild animals. i have a zebra chair upstairs and i need to re-home a spotted chair--what cat has spots? not a tiger..... can't think.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    c'mon, d'sm!! you can stand being in another swap with me!

Blog Entries
    jillnjo-- i don't know how rhonda decides who gets what, but if there is something you just can't tolerate, you can always send her a pm and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    c'mon, d'sm!! you can stand being in another swap with me!
    Always, so long as I don't get "r" emails too regularly

Blog Entries
    i've already expressed that i like teddy bears over black bears, but i like pandas, who may not actually be bears, but anyway, i like trees. dh got his degree in forestry. o, i think it's koalas that aren't bears. anyway. you could make one with flamingos ! i love flamingos!! they are just kinda 'out there!, ya know? in my family room i have a 2' tall flamingo nightlight, a frog side table, a 3' monkey on the wall, so i could use some more wild animals. i have a zebra chair upstairs and i need to re-home a spotted chair--what cat has spots? not a tiger..... can't think.
    OK Nancia.....I just GOTTA SEE some pics of your living space...I am very curious.....and a bit envious of your "openness"!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    cogito-- is that openness, as in i reveal too much, or openness as i'll accept so much? just curious.

my avatar is a cat mug hug, a mug rug that wraps around the cup. since it is a rendition of my real cat, tiger, it fits well in my room, but i gave it away in the mug rug swap i was in at the time. i've made a few cats and a fish so far. have plans to make more when the inspiration hits.
    Last edited by nancia; 07-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
    Been reading here and thinking about the swap.I have a question-do we share any preferences of our own as far as the wallhanging we receive? Like if someone didn't care for animal themes for example? That might make a lot more work for the hostess!? Just curious how this all works!
    Hi jillnjo, It is up to you to enjoy making anything you desire. No one knows what they are going to receive so we can all request as much as we want but you aren't assured of getting what you request. The fun is to receive a little something with another persons concepts and designs with no limitations. For instance I love flamingos but I may not receive a quilt with flamingos. Make what you love to share with others.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
    Been reading here and thinking about the swap.I have a question-do we share any preferences of our own as far as the wallhanging we receive? Like if someone didn't care for animal themes for example? That might make a lot more work for the hostess!? Just curious how this all works!
    Hi jillnjo, It is up to you to enjoy making anything you desire. No one knows what they are going to receive so we can all request as much as we want but you aren't assured of getting what you request. The fun is to receive a little something with another persons concepts and designs with no limitations. For instance I love flamingos but I may not receive a quilt with flamingos. Make what you love to share with others.
    peace

EDIT: Nancia, Always adored your avatar. I thought it was pottery. Love that it is a mug rug. Very cool.

Blog Entries
    jillnjo-- i don't know how rhonda decides who gets what, but if there is something you just can't tolerate, you can always send her a pm and hope for the best.
    That would explain why it is a good thing that we post pictures as we work on it!I can just see the email to Rhonda now...."NO wild animals to sit on my wall and watch me as I try to sleep! Please I beg of you!" Most wou;d add spiders and snakes I am sure, maybe even clowns. Got to get back to work on my owl. He's gotten too big to put on a wall hanging with a 57 inch wing span. Watch out Toto!
    Debbie
    Machine It

I wasn't going to do animals but ube got me thinking. So I went into my odds and ends box and pulled out these potholders that I had no use for but were too pretty to throw out. I deconstructed them and I think I will use the panels. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think they are perfect and could make a great wallhanging!
    jillnjo

Blog Entries
    @ JNTC14: Very nice re- purposing of those holders.

I have looked at so many patterns I'm going bonkers. "This will be perfect, no, this, no this, no.....this". I really can't make up my mind. I really want to get started and done so it is ready.

I think I have pulled every fall themed fabric from my stash.

I have ideas for : a fall tree, applique acorns, turkeys, the last rose of summer, folk art birds..........
    the list keeps getting longer.

How does everyone make a final selection?

EDIT: My biggest problem is now that I have all these ideas, I want to make them all!
    Last edited by ube quilting; 07-20-2013 at 07:05 AM.

I think I will go with a fall theme. Found a panel with some autumn leaves and should have rusts, oranges, browns, yellows in my stash to go with it. Or.........maybe I'll do something else! That's what I like about this swap. Anything goes!
    Sew many Quilts.......so little time!

Blog Entries
    thank you, ube! i really like designing things . i used to put 3D on doll quilts and then it seemed like everyone was doing 3D on quilts. so, i moved on and developed a way to make 3D mug rugs (hugs). one of the quilters in the mug rug swap came up with the name mug hug and i just love it! wished i'd thought of it myself because it is so perfect. anyway, my first ecfforts are in the archives, i guess, under" some fun mug rugs." we were challenged to do round, and then lynnie025 and i challenged each other for any shape not round. the dinner plate represents actually a group of 4 mug rugs. b'fast, lunch. dinner. sweet snack. i sent them off without getting pictures of them all. typical of me! the star fish, octopus and seahorse, were joined by a flounder and were sent to lynnie. right now i have a cup and saucer on a mat, and i made a blue russian, zoey with a string of pearls and an insanely long tail. i have some other designs floating around in my brain, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
    I wasn't going to do animals but ube got me thinking. So I went into my odds and ends box and pulled out these potholders that I had no use for but were too pretty to throw out. I deconstructed them and I think I will use the panels. What do you think?
    I think those are screaming ELISABRAT!

Hi Everyone: All the ideas sound great. However, the WH I picked to make doesn't have animals or woods or chickens or fall colors! Maybe I might need to change it. What do you think? This is the first WH swap I have done...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
    Hi Everyone: All the ideas sound great. However, the WH I picked to make doesn't have animals or woods or chickens or fall colors! Maybe I might need to change it. What do you think? This is the first WH swap I have done...
    No! Don't change it! There are no themes or restrictions on what you create. I think my WH is going to change at least five times before I get the one I want to send.

Personally, I would like to be on the receiving end of something totaly different from my own comfort zone. It opens up new ideas.
    peace

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
    Quiltjoey, if I had my 'drothers I wouldn't receive any of the things that have been discussed, ! But as UBE has pointed out, this is a "free for all" swap, so who knows what we will get!

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    As far as I'm concerned it will all be great. Someone put the time and effort into it to make it. Just want them to send it and then it's really good. Sorry ladies I'm still waiting on last months as well as others waiting too! I'm still going for a fall colored little wall quilt, maybe some leaves, cornicopia or what ever and how do you spell that. OOPS!! Should be fun. What would you like Cogito? just in case of course and please I don't have pink flamingos......

This is going to be so much fun! I looking forward to all of it. Thank you ladies for all the encouragement!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    As far as I'm concerned it will all be great. Someone put the time and effort into it to make it. Just want them to send it and then it's really good.
    Oh Jaba, I of course will love what I receive! Certainly don't want anyone to feel offended. I was just saying they aren't my styles....but then again, I wouldn't have signed up if I was worried about getting exactly my style. I was just pointing out that we aren't choosing..so while it may not be my style...or someone else's, the point of the swap is a mystery quilt. Lol! Heavens, I am sure there would be plenty of quilters who might not prefer my style either.

I look forward to what ever comes my way. When I receive it will be going to work to decorate my cube or the wall behind me. I am looking forward to this.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

oh ooh I love fall theme and even more so I love TURKEYS!!! lots and lots of TURKEYS! I have a collection of turkey planters from the fifties/sixties and I adore them. I put fall leaves in them and put them on the self and call it a turkey parade! I have not seen a wild turkey since I moved to Wyoming. Lots of other little animals but no turkeys.. yet . I will find them. too bad they are not in the front yard. the deer are in the front yard and cottontails. I get an antelope in the yard and I will be one happy camper. I might have to bait them. lol.

And Jaba is right. We share because we want to. The surprise factor is fun btw. And I love receiving a hand made gift in the mail silly me right? who doesn't love a squishy? And I am thinking today is a good day to work on this.

Hey those roosters are very cool by the way and so glad they are not going to go to waste sitting in a box growing old
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    i always like the ones i get, too. no one has said they didn't like what i've sent but you just never know. we all put in positive thoughts and make them fun, or pretty, or sporty, or seasonal. or whatever we feel good doing! of course, NONE of us get silly.......right?? hmmm... well, maybe on of us will, er, might. let me see if i can find my flamingo. she has been shown before so i don't need my camera to show her again. speaking of showing, has anyone seen elisabrat? and who else is missing? they might be out looking for missing wall hangings! lol
    here's flo, the flamingo! she is my solar nightlite in our family room. she's so sweet!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast