Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013 >

Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013

Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013

Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Does everyone remember the talk about turkeys earlier on in this thread? Well I have a quick turkey story.

Minding my own business, driving home from work, on the back roads I always take, I was stopped by a traffic jam where usually there is no traffic. Looking ahead in hopes of seeing what was up, I spotted the trouble. There in the middle of the road was a hen turkey. The few cars in front of me squeezed by her as she ran next to each one as they passed her.

I didn't like this action one bit. My car automatically pulled to the center of the road and the flashers went on. With every good intention, I decided to shoo the bird off the road. Well, she didn't want to go, no way, no how. I must have spent ten minutes coaxing her around and around and around and around

and around my car, the next car, my car. She was watching her self in the side of the cars and just couldn't get enough of herself. I asked people ( who were sitting in theirs cars laughing) to get out and help.

No one, not one person, would come to this girls rescue. After a final plea and throwing my hands in the air , and maybe a little scream too, Out pops not one, not two, not three or four, but five young men form a little car several places behind me. They yelled to me " what are you trying to do?" As soon as I pointed to the dear little turkey, they were off and running. It was so funny to see these young guys being out smarted by one little turkey until they finally got her to the middle of a field and she kept on going in the other direction.

I thanked them for rescuing both of us. We headed back to our cars and everyone of the Ba(*&^%$ that didn't help, thanked me and praised my kindness to animals. My immediate thought was I COULD have been praising them too.

I'm glad the pretty little hen is okay and away from the road for now.

Thanks for letting me tell you how my day ended!
peace

EDIT: I am going to have to do a turkey quilt for sure , now!

Last edited by ube quilting; 10-17-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Looks like I'm not going to make this swap after all. Too many things on my plate right now.

Hope everyone exchanges lovely wallhangings!

Jane
Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Maybe next time.
peace
Old 10-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Ahhh so sorry to hear this. well you can finish it for the next one!
Old 10-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

I would love to have seen you out there! LOL too bad noone got a video of you! You told it so well tho I felt like I was watching you and then those young men. Well you put a smile on some faces today! I'm sure that hen is glad to not be a flat turkey!
Old 10-17-2013, 04:22 PM

I joined a Marti and Me club and am in the 3rd session. It is fun and I'm learning how to use the templates for other patterns besides hers. I try to do something small each month just to get a feel for it. I like the stars and may do a lap quilt next.

Thanks for the nice comments. I was afraid it came out too dark.

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Skaduzy, Very nice! Marti Mitchell is a great teacher. How did you like working with the template? I like the fall colors you used. The stars are well showcased.
peace
Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 AM

Skaduzy that is really pretty. Isn't that a great template? I am in Barb Kibler's candy swap and we had made her a quilt with blocks donated by everyone (she was going through a really bad time...) two of the blocks used that template and they were my favorites.

Hey - I bet all of us has a turkey story or two to share (cooked turkey or not!!) like Ube's - tell, tell!

Mine is this - many years ago my husband bought a red Nissan Pathfinder. He brought it home on Sunday night and on Monday morning he was taking my DD to daycare. Halfway there, a large turkey flew out from the side of the road, hit his windshield and his roof and flew off into the woods, doing $700 worth of damage to his brand new car. He of course had to file a police report. His friend had a scanner and for about a week, they heard reports of the police being on the lookout for 'the errant turkey - wanted - armed and dangerous...' everyone was having a good laugh over that one!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:58 AM

I lived in the voods as my mother would have called them. We had dozens of wild turkeys that came into our park. we were surrounded by national forest and our park (a private camp ground) was safe haven during hunting season. don't let anyone say those are dumb birds they were smart enough to wanderin our park where no one would shoot them. I cringed during hunting season. You see I feed those birds daily. They came for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in winter when the snow was so deep you couldn't put food out on the ground I put it on my front porch and they would come up 8 steps to get it and well.. I opened the front door so the cats could sit there in awe behind the safe screen and watch them. They will chase a car if the male feels threatened for his females and no dog I know or cat would take one on.. they watch them and they leave them be. Mean they can be. Me, I loved them and still do. I miss my turkeys a whole lot. They are so ugly they are beautiful (now who is the dork in the group???)
Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
Mimi that's fabulous. Kit or your design?
The 1st one I made was a kit but this is that pattern but with fabric from my stash (of which this didn't even make a dent in! LOL).
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

One more turkey story - Years ago when we were younger LOL I went hunting with my DH and one of his brothers Dale. Dale winged a turkey and it fell to the ground but it wasn't really hurt just could't fly. It began to run in a large circle and since Dale was out of ammo he started running right behind it trying to hit it with the butt of his shotgun. It was the funniest thing to see. The turkey running in a circle Dale running 2 steps behind the turkey around and around they went til the turkey outsmarted him and got away. DH and I were laughing so hard but Dale was disgusted his turkey got away. LOL