Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap in August - Partners are now Posted!! >

Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap in August - Partners are now Posted!!

Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap in August - Partners are now Posted!!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:29 AM

Very pretty. Who is it for?

Originally Posted by sgardner
Everyone, meet Luella. (Week 8)

She's my very first Drunkard's Path, made from a bunch of scrap pieces of Batik that I bought at the LQS over the weekend. The blue on the corners is really a blue/purple, but my camera doesn't like to get purple accurate, even in the sunlight.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Everyone, meet Luella. (Week 8)

She's my very first Drunkard's Path, made from a bunch of scrap pieces of Batik that I bought at the LQS over the weekend. The blue on the corners is really a blue/purple, but my camera doesn't like to get purple accurate, even in the sunlight.
absolutely gorgeous! You did a really great job of matching the half circles! That is the hardest part as far as I am concerned.
What did you think of the process?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Pretty, Pretty, Pretty......Rhonda's method of Drunkard path is so much easier. I'm working on a small one myself. It's a doll quilt size. I expected to be working on it for a while, but it went quickly. Love, love, love Rhonda's method.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by klgreene
Pretty, Pretty, Pretty......Rhonda's method of Drunkard path is so much easier. I'm working on a small one myself. It's a doll quilt size. I expected to be working on it for a while, but it went quickly. Love, love, love Rhonda's method.
I like to spray my yoyos with magic sizing and leave them to dry overnight. That is the part that takes the longest for me. You don't have to leave them that long but they get nice and stiff if you do. Easier to work with.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I like to spray my yoyos with magic sizing and leave them to dry overnight. That is the part that takes the longest for me. You don't have to leave them that long but they get nice and stiff if you do. Easier to work with.
Oh I sprayed mine and yes it does really help. I had 64 2" blocks and I really thought it was going to be one of those little projects I'd be working on for ever. But your method went so quickly.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM

Here is my block from peevypat. Thank you Pat. I think the fabric you chose goes together well and do like those dragonflies. Does anyone know the name of this block?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249062.jpe  
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Yep, it's called "The best block of all"
Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM

This was Batik fabric, but yes, the stiffer the Batik, the easier it was to do the Yo-yo. Stupid me, the first 4 (the centers), I cut the circle into quarters and then sewed them on individually. Then a bolt of lightning went through my brain and I sewed the yo-yo onto a larger square, and then cut the whole thing into quarters. Massive time savings with that one switch. Not to mention the improved accuracy of the stitching!

You can iron over sizing or heavy starch while it's still wet. I wouldn't wait overnight. Too impatient.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

This was Batik fabric, but yes, the stiffer the Batik, the easier it was to do the Yo-yo. Stupid me, the first 4 (the centers), I cut the circle into quarters and then sewed them on individually. Then a bolt of lightning went through my brain and I sewed the yo-yo onto a larger square, and then cut the whole thing into quarters. Massive time savings with that one switch. Not to mention the improved accuracy of the stitching!

You can iron over sizing or heavy starch while it's still wet. I wouldn't wait overnight. Too impatient.
You can iron it and dry it but it won't be as stiff. If it is not stiff you struggle to keep the shape of the circle more. If it is stiff then you don't lose your circle shape at all. It is just easier for me to do it when I don't' have to worry about trying to redo the circle shape after you take out the cardboard template circle.

But each to your own! What works for one may or may not work for another quilter. I did spray my last ones and let them set for about 4 hrs and then used them and they were good and stiff.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PokerDiva
Here is my block from peevypat. Thank you Pat. I think the fabric you chose goes together well and do like those dragonflies. Does anyone know the name of this block?
PokerDiva your quilt block from Pat is terrific!! Well made!