Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap in August - Partners are now Posted!! >

Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap in August - Partners are now Posted!!

Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap in August - Partners are now Posted!!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
Ok ladies...I thought I'd post these pix here. I've already sent my block off to my partner but I was playing with the dresden template that Rhonda had put in the package. I know the fundamentals of kaleidoscopes (even if I can't spell it) so found some fabric I thought would work. Sooo here is what you inspired Rhonda.....Not sure yet what background fabric to put the plate on. The center doesn't have it's circle on it yet because I want it to perhaps match the background it is going on. The background here is a bit more yellow so don't think i will use it. am open to suggestions for colors. I've also shown the fabric that I used for it. Comments appreciated.
You did a great job on it! I love your colors and the fabric.
Your Dresden Kaleidoscope came out wonderfully beautiful!!!

BTW the Dresden is an acceptable design for the swap. It is in one of my ebooks and I have posted the designs in threads on here so they qualify.

How many are you going to make?

Are you going to needlturn it or sew it on by machine? I like to use an embroidery stitch called Herringbone. It is alot like crossstitching. I do it by hand but I want to see if I can do it on the machine.

For a differant kind of look I like to put the template on an angle so you get a curl of your color going around the circle. Also when you choose your spot to use make sure you will have enough of a design showing after you sew on the 1/4" of the edge.

You also can lay your template on the thicker flower part and find an outstanding feature such as a leaf that will repeat in the center part or a larger flower that will repeat across the middle.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Thanks Rhonda. So.....if anybody wants this for the September swap, let Rhonda know you want me for a partner. LOL.

This fabric was on sale so I went back today and got three yards of it. I have plenty to do more plates. This was done with the bottom of the plate barely on the narrow strip of flowers which made the top barely in the plate. The next one I think I will reposition so that the wide strip of flowers is mostly in in the template. I'll have to see how ti turns out.

I was even considering using a button for the middle. I bought some different fabrics to try these out with so I'll see how they work out. I don't find dresdens a problem to do but to take into consideration the placement on the fabric will take a bit to get in mind.

The curved top is basted down right now waiting for me to applique it on the background. I will do it by hand. I have a stitch on my sewing machine that is similar (if not it) to Herringbone so could try that out sometime. I like to do hand applique so I don't mind at all sewing them on by hand.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Oh Rhonda...forgot to ask...have you done the kaleidoscope but with the points instead of the rounded edges?

My idea would be to make a small wall hanging (perhaps four blocks) and then put a partial block in the corners pointing in.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Oh Rhonda...forgot to ask...have you done the kaleidoscope but with the points instead of the rounded edges?

My idea would be to make a small wall hanging (perhaps four blocks) and then put a partial block in the corners pointing in.
Yes long ago when I first learned to quilt 30 yrs ago!! LOL It was one of the first things I learned how to do. The Dresden Kaleidoscopes came along much later on.

This is the Doll Quilt I did last summer for the Doll Quilt Swap. We had a theme of representing our state or country and I am in Iowa so what better than corn??? I grew up playing in the corn bins and in the wagons and we played hide and seek in the corn fields. I also detasselled as a teen for 3 summers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255066[/ATTACH]

Here is the center DK
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255067[/ATTACH]

This is the back I used
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255068[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255060.jpe   attachment-255061.jpe   attachment-255062.bmp  
Old 09-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Actually I believe when it has the points it is considered a Friendship circle rather than a Dresden Plate because it no longer has the plate look. I could be wrong but I think that is the difference between the two. correct me anyone if I am wrong. I frequently am! LOL
Old 09-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda

Yes long ago when I first learned to quilt 30 yrs ago!! LOL It was one of the first things I learned how to do. The Dresden Kaleidoscopes came along much later on.
hmmm. I live in DeKalb IL home of course to the flying ear of corn from the DeKalb Ag (since 1936) and cornfest every year. That is why I tell everybody that I live in the middle of corn country. :) One of my swap partners gave me some of that corn fabric I think you used in the dresden. I might have to use that. Check out my blog later on (tonight or tomorrow) for some fabric that I am auditioning for that beginner block.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda

Actually I believe when it has the points it is considered a Friendship circle rather than a Dresden Plate because it no longer has the plate look. I could be wrong but I think that is the difference between the two. correct me anyone if I am wrong. I frequently am! LOL
like *I* would know the difference? LOL.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Here is the block I did for sgardner, goes in the mail today.
Sorry shelley that it is so late. Hope you like it.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 AM

my computer skills are not what they ought to be. Will try again when daughter arrives.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-262472.jpe  
Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Very pretty block Pat.