Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #10

Yvonne, I am so glad you like it. I knew you would. LOL. I have 2 fat quarters that I got in a swap from Sweden that has the gnomes on it, so I looked at the fabric and picked out some of the ones that I wanted and drew them on my graph paper and then made templates. I made up everything else. See why I said there are some tiny little pieces? I had to use the pigma pen for the eyes and a couple of mouths. I will heat set them. You can add embroidery to them when you get it back if you want. I think the door knob would look cute with a french knot. Some of the eyes might look cute that way too. I ran out of the grey background material, so I improvised to make the tree blocks.
    Last edited by ssnare; 12-08-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Oh, Yvonne, I have finished your row and it is gorgeous. Right now, it measures 13 1/4" wide and it looks so good. I hate to cut it down to 12 1/2". I cut it down from 14 1/2". Do you care if it is this extra little bit wide, it will still be just as long?

I got it down to 13" tall.

Blog Entries
    Sherry, a teeny tall won't make a difference if all the blocks are the same height but it will make a difference in the width, But, I do have a suggestion. If you put the trees on each end instead of in the middle ( this MAY be what you're doing anyway ) it won't matter a smidgeon if a teeny bit of the outer trees fall somewhere into the border seam line. If you take a picture, some of the trees are only shown as a partial tree and it looks cool. Do I have this pictured wrong in my mind?????????????

All the blocks are the same height. I already have the trees on the outside. The width came out perfectly because I made the tree blocks smaller in width and made the 3 main blocks wider. I added a path across the whole length of the row. I will get it pieced and take a picture for you.

I cut it down to 12 1/2" tall. It did not look good when I attached everything. I can now say that I am finished with your row Yvonne. Here it is. The background is all gray, even though it looks brownish in the picture. I hope you like the finished product.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love it, Sherry---very creative!

Blog Entries
    It's GORGEOUS!!! Love it! Isn't it too cool how it all comes together????????? And I forgot to mention before, there's no need for me to do any french knots for the eyes or doorknob...it looks fine just the way it is!

wow that is stunning.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Blog Entries
    Girls, if you don't get the Missouri Star Quilt Co. newsletter and daily deal you may want to check them out on Facebook. I applique but I learned through a book and a LOT was by trial and error and I don't do all the cool circles and points, etc. well and, if they turn out well, it was an accident!!!! She has a 4 part video with Jan Patek (the queen of applique) showing just how to do all those intricate things. If any one's interested they have videos through part 3 now available and the last part should be out tomorrow..... ALL FREE !!! There just aren't enough hours in the day.........!!!

That is super cute! I have to rethink my plan now.

Checking in to say I am still here. Yesterday was my birthday and we had a near miss. Our first grandchild was born at 10:12 p.m. the night before! He, of course, is adorable. Watching his daddy be a daddy is even more adorable.

Merry Christmas, girls! I hope you and your loved ones have a safe and joyous Christmas.

Mary

MaryLane,
    Aww-congratulations, GM!
    As I've posted before, I think the best thing about becoming a GM is seeing your own child's face light up when he sees that baby---because now he knows what you felt for him.

Also, Happy Birthday!
    I'm almost finished with your 3rd block. I know what I want to do with the other 2, but being pretty much a novice, I've got to figure out how to make it look like what's in my mind. I've been learning some things by trial and error while making your blocks, which is one of my goals in doing this project. I'll post a picture when I'm further along.
    Now go love on that new baby!
    Barbara

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Mary...what a wonderful Christmas present and Happy belated Birthday, too! And a very merry and safe Christmas to all. I wish you all much joy and happiness.
    Yvonne

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

Mary - - -

Belated happy birthday & congrats on your grandson.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Jane
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Thanks, everyone. It has been a busy few days. May get back to the sewing room tomorrow. HOpe your holidays were wonderful!

I've been having computer trouble. Curses & lots of bad words!!! Hope all well with my Perfect Ten buddies.

Jane
    Jane

PS - -

Did you guys notice I changed my avatar? It's a block from an antique quilt. So pretty.

Jane
    Jane

Very pretty Jane

Blog Entries
    Gosh, everyone's changing their avatars....maybe I should just GET one! :-) ....very cool!

Sorry about your computer problems Jane...been there, done that x 2 !!!...and currently my monitor has vertical strips of light spaced across the screen which is VERY annoying and Jennie Doan on her tutorials sounds like a frog and all I see are $ signs!!!

Jane...question...you requested a preference of our blocks not being attached and you sent 5 blocks of the same pattern with different color combinations...got to thinking about it and I was wondering if maybe this is what you had in mind...each of us do 5 blocks of the same pattern in different color combos then your final quilt design would be 5 rows of 5 different patterns arranged in whatever manner you found pleasing. Am I anywhere close? I aim to please

Yvonne

The ones that I have for Jane are not all the same pattern, but have the same colors in them.

Blog Entries
    I thought about going ahead and making up blocks since they were traditional patterns in '30's fabric but decided to wait until I got hers to see what direction she was headed. Figured there was some reason she made 5 alike.

Hello, all! Spent yesterday in my sewing room CLEANING! I know my grandmothers are spinning in their graves but I threw away all pieces of batting that were less than 6" wide. That was liberating.

I am participating in a BOM at the LQS again this year and I am doing this Row Robin. My goal is to make the rest of my work this year about completing UFOs. I began by doing all my mending yesterday. I repaired four pairs of jeans, three flannel shirts and a quilt I made for my niece years ago.

I am having a migraine today but trying to get back in there to sew this afternoon. I now know where the fabric I want to use for Sherry's blocks is. I was in a real mess because my son actually took a desk and a dresser I used for sewing/storage and I just shoved stuff in places when he did.

Okay, I am rambling. It is the drugs! So, how is everyone else progressing? I am anxious to see.

Mary

Blog Entries
    Hi Mary, great to hear from you! You have your hands full but it looks like you're making great progress. Kudos to you for mending...it's on the very, very, very bottom of a​ny "todo" list I'll ever have! Funny...I'll rip and rip if I make a mistake sewing and not think a thing about it but mending is not fun! Thought about doing a BOM...which one did you choose? ?? Great job on the batting! It's hard to throw anything away what with prices skyrocketing but it is liberating to finally pitch those things we keep shoving to the side. Currently working on Jane's 1930's blocks...waiting on fabric...STILL! Really this RRR makes you look at different kinds of quilting I wouldn't have attempted before. After I started looking at the 1930 prints and patterns I fell in love with them! Would you do another RRR?

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast