Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrappy Witchy Halloween Sunbonnet Sue Swap--Sign up's Open Till Aug. 8th

Scrappy Witchy Halloween Sunbonnet Sue Swap--Sign up's Open Till Aug. 8th

Scrappy Witchy Halloween Sunbonnet Sue Swap due Sept. 11, 2015

Pattern provided! Im not able to post pattern here so will send it in private or in a post on the site later. The pattern is 5 1/2 inches.
    Calling all Halloween lovers. Hoping to have lots of fun making Scrappy Witchy Halloween Sunbonnet Sues. You can use up those scraps of Halloween fabric. Please use Halloween fabric for the dress.

Blocks are applique so all pieces must be sewn down in some manner. Please do not use mono-filament thread.)

PM me if you want to sign up!
    THIS swap is for 6.5 unfinished (6 finished) blocks. Total 24 blocks. The witchy Sue dress should use different Halloween material. THE BACKGROUND FABRIC IS: NIGHT COLORS so Grey, black night, purple, orange etc.

Blocks are to be made in sets of 4. Limit of 6 sets per swapper. IF YOU WANT ONE OF YOUR OWN BLOCKS MAKE AN EXTRA. The design is the Witchy Sunbonnet Sue. If you want to make one set of the witchy sue reversed that is fine. We want a variety of Halloween fabrics.

BASICS
    - Up to 6 sets of 4 blocks
    - Each SET of 4 must be made with different Halloween fabric
    - Each SET will be of the Witchy Sue block posted, but you can make one set reversed.
    - Include enough postage
    - Mail BY 9/8, after 9/10 use Express mail.
    - PM me if you want to join the swap
    Be sure to use quality PRE-WASHED 100% cotton fabrics. (NO flannel, homespun, poly-blends, or see-through)

Please check to make sure your blocks ARE 6.5" square. Please also check for any holes or tears, or inadequate seam allowances. Tidy up the back of block as well.

Put a small label on each block, including your real name and board name.
    What are the deadlines & mailing?
    Sign-ups for this swap are open until August 8th. The mail due-date for the blocks is September 11th. I will swap in mid-September. Any blocks I receive after 14 September will be returned un-swapped. Please put blocks in a large ziploc baggie along with your name and address on/in the bag. This will help protect your blocks in case your package gets damaged.
    Include a self-addressed label. Please include $6.00 cash to cover return postage to you. Please send your blocks with a tracking number. I will return your blocks priority mail.

If proper postage is not sent, your package will wait until adequate funds are received. Please do not send your own envelopes. This swap was approved by Patrice

Name:  Screen shot 2015-06-03 at 8.17.03 PM.png
Views: 2620
Size:  88.2 KBHere is the pattern. Once you PM me & sign up I will send you a pdf file so you can print the pattern. The pattern should measure 5 1/2 inches. A lot of printers choose scale to fit so it fills the whole page. That would be too big.

Here is a link to a quilt with the Witchy Halloween Sunbonnet Sue.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ue-t70790.html

Looks like I'm first to sign up!
    I think this is going to be so cute,love it
    PMarch

M&S that is just too adorable. Sign me up! I'll send you a PM.
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

Letsquilt & klaws so happy to have you join in on all of the Halloween fun! I'm excited to see what fun Halloween fabric everyone comes up with to make the adorable witchies!

I'm having trouble printing my SS out she is coming out at 6 1/4 " what am I doing wrong?
    PMarch

I think I sent you the wrong file. So sorry. I'll resend another file by tonight! Thanks!

Mine came out exactly 5 1/2 inches. Thanks!
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

Klaws thanks for letting me know! Now the fun can begin!

The new one came out perfect,Thank you.
    PMarch

Thought I'd add a bit of Halloween Trivia every few days or so.

The first Jack O'Lanterns were actually made from turnips.

The largest pumpkin ever measured was grown by Norm Craven, who broke the world record in 1993 with a 836 lb. pumpkin.

I would like to sign up for this swap. I love Halloween. Have lots of cute halloween fabric. Can't wait to get started.
    Last edited by snownannie; 06-06-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    Snownannie

So happy you've joined us Snowannie! We're up to 6 people now.

I'm in for one set! Sounds like a fun adventure!

Count me in for 1 set.

So happy to have ibex94 & cuppy join us!

This witchy Sue sunnbonnet pattern will make a really cute wall-hanging!

Power Poster
    She is cute..

When and where did Sunbonnet Sue originate?

A couple of theories have evolved. Generally credit is given to Bertha L. Corbett, an illustrator from Minneapolis and Chicago in the early 1900s.

The story goes that Miss Corbett was trying to prove to artist friends it wasn't necessary for a figure to have its face revealed to be expressive. So she sketched some tiny girls whose countenances were entirely hidden by huge sunbonnets.

These designs were received with such enthusiasm that Miss Corbett continued along this line and designed postcards, stationery, a book on sunbonnet babies, and then a primer. She even created the Sunbonnet Girl used on the Dutch Cleanser can.-----from Blisstree

We have 8 signed up now. Please feel free to post any pictures! I have my first set almost done, so I'll post a picture once I'm done.

Good day every one. I'm excited about this swap. I can hardly wait to get started.

I sent my information again with my e-mail address. Patiently waiting for my pattern.

I do have one question? Can we use the wonder under type of applicate? Just wondering the technique.

Happylab, please pm me your email so I can send you the pattern!

As far as applique you can use wonder under, lite heat & bond, or whatever fusible you prefer. Cut your background fabric to at least 7 inches so if it shrinks when you applique you'll still have a true 6 1/2 inches. Fuse your fabric, then cut the pattern, measure the pieces so that it's 5 1/2 inches before you iron (that will leave room when you sew it together) then fuse. Finish by sewing your pieces in place with a blanket stitch, zig-zag, or satin stitch!

Muse&Sew, PM sent with my e-mail info. Again thank-you, and thank you for the basic instruction on how to put them together.

Sign me up ) I sent you a pm

That's adorable! Love it!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast