Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016 >

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Old 11-03-2016, 01:06 PM

I am the same way about did I send enough to my SS. I looked at last year and boy oh boy people were very generous. I feel like maybe I should send a second package. Why do we always feel that way?
Old 11-03-2016, 02:56 PM

I have shipped tons of packages lots of times and why did I forget about the flat rate packages! Duh... I found a box at the dollar store while I was buying some SOS pads and thought "perfect to send to my secret santee" I filled that baby up and was shocked outta this world when they told me $40! I knew there was a cheaper way, nobody spends that kind of money on postage!

Well I repackaged it, into a smaller box and was giving my mailman some really good WHINE about the high cost of postage! He asked why didn't I use the flat rate box! DOH... (How could I have forgotten this!) I repackaged everything Again, except baked goods into the flat rate container! And it is not going internationally! It is in the USA...

So please don't forget flat rate is really the way to go! I was amazed at the difference! I now have a $1.00 box that I am going to fill with scraps and keep in my sewing room to remind myself to never forget flat rate~

Mary~ Eating crow since I am all out of Whine
Old 11-03-2016, 03:35 PM

Internationally can get tricky. The medium flat rate box is over $40 to send, so you're better off doing a box first class if the weight is low enough (but you have to be careful about dimensions, I think it has to be under 36 linear inches-- so 2 x 10 x 12 would be ok). But then you have to think about time constraints, since first class doesn't come with the same speed. The flat rate padded envelope has become my happy medium, as long as there is nothing breakable. You get the priority speed if you need it, and you get the lower rate.

The first time I mailed stuff internationally, I did a lot of research because I was really shocked by the medium box flat rate shipping, which I had planned to use. I still look up the best way to ship online before I send a package.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Banned

I can shake and rattle my package why you ask?

Because it arrived either yesterday or today.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:26 PM

I hope no one feels bad about what they send! Each person is different, and weight of a box could be because someone sent some old magazines or books they didn't need anymore. Or maybe their person likes a heavy candy. Size could be because they needed to fit something solid (like a book), or they have a fluffy item.

The $20 limit can also be met so many ways-- making items yourself, finding something on sale/clearance. If my person wants scraps, I'm not going to put those scraps in the $20.

Hopefully we all love what we receive! If my person ends up with something she can't use, I hope she knows someone who would appreciate it and she can give it to them.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:04 PM

Teri: Could we get clarification on the shipping cost factoring into the $20 expenditure requirement? It's too late for me to use it for shipping cause my santee is going to get that much plus the shipping cost. Hope that is alright!
hugs,
dj
Old 11-03-2016, 05:43 PM

l went on a mini shop hop to Mo Star Quilt Co and another quilt shop 10 miles away. I bought the item she wanted the most and a few other items. I just need to buy candy and wrap. and mail. next week I will cut out her small wall hanging and at end of next week mail the box.

Either day works for me to open the packages.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:49 PM

I hope no one frets about what to send to me. I am easy to please and will be happy no matter what I get, whether it is 1 item or more.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:09 AM

I love small packages, The best gifts come in small packages..... Big spools of variegated cotton thread or aurifil threads
Old 11-04-2016, 05:49 AM