Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
September 2010 Doll Quilt Swap -- Optional Fall Theme >

September 2010 Doll Quilt Swap -- Optional Fall Theme

September 2010 Doll Quilt Swap -- Optional Fall Theme

Old 10-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Janis, from all the quilts that I have seen on here, I don't think anyone gets shorted. Plus, we know everyone on here is learning. I consider every quilt I do as practice. And, I practice a lot. I am very proud of all my quilts, because they just get better and better. Someday I may be as good as some of the ladies on this board. I am one of the unfortunate ones, nothing(quilt-wise) comes natural to me, but I love it, so I keep trying. You should look at the website http://daystyledesigns.com, she has a lot of great info, and quilt filler designs, and talks a lot about technique.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM

978, I love your little quilt, the colors are beautiful.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:17 PM

Just went back and looked at the slide show(link on pg. 21) all the quilts are so fantastic, I watched it three times. Boy, quilters we are a great group, so creative and individualistic, they are all so wonderful and unique.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:52 PM

sapdoggie, I'd like to be your swap partner. Maybe sometime chele will pick our names out and we will be partners. Kwiltkrazy, I am working on quilting with my walkingfoot, and doing some things with it I didn't think were possible. I am getting better at it all the time.
Thanks both of you for your encouragement. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Janis, the walking foot was meant for straight lines, or very gentle curves. The darning foot, or free-motion foot, is for free motion quilting. I hope you're not trying to do fmq'ing with the walking foot, for one thing, you can destroy the foot, for the other it is extremely hard, and would cause all kinds of wrinkles, and such. I got a generic fmq for my old machine, it was only $20, you just have to watch that you get the right shank length. The length is either short or long. But by all means have fun.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:05 PM

thank you yorkiemom for posting the pics of the exchanged sept. doll quilts. I have recieved so many nice compliments from friends and relatives about the lovely one you sent me... again, thank you for lovely work. jacie
Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 AM

I'll have to try my FMF more on some practice stuff. The last time I tried it, the tension was off. But then maybe I need to sew a few stitches and then stop. That might help the automatic tension set. i know I have to do that with the walking foot. I'll try it again. I have found that I can stitch a few stitches. stop and turn my small project, and then go on with my walking foot. I did take one class with the walking foot and know I can do gentle curves with it. I just need to practice more with the FMF. I keep thinking that I can do it without a lot of practice first, and I can't.I even bought another WF for my machine because it had the open toe FMF and a SID foot in the package. I'd paid almost as much for just a the open toe foot as the whole package. I thought getting another WF and FMF with the SID foot wasn't too bad. I think I can use them on my other machines as they all have the same shank size as the one I got then for. I haven't tried them on the other machines yet. I really just need to practice on all of the feet. Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Wow -- September is going to be a tough act to follow in October. I am in total awe!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
Wow -- September is going to be a tough act to follow in October. I am in total awe!!!
You said it, Nancy! But I've noticed doll quilt swappers always outdo themselves.

Here's the latest slide show. I'll keep adding pictures to the gallery as you guys post them. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5197990...98861919/show/

Just an informal poll, last year I combined November/December because it's such a busy time of year. Is that good for everyone or do you want two separate swaps?

Chele
Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 AM

Due to my financial situation, i would prefer to have two separate months doll quilt exchanges...thank you for asking