Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign up for august 2012 amish solids doll quilt swap closes july 31st

Senior Member Crazy Quiltin Robin's Avatar

Krystyna , here is what I got for under 20 dollars on Ebay

I didnt have any solids so I looked on Ebay and for under 20 dollars this is what I got ... now I have doll quilt size solids in all colors .... this month will be fun ....... yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Crazy Quiltin Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana View Post
    Robin, I know teenagers will eat most anything but I seriously don't think they ate your quilt - unless of course you spilled chocolate or nachos on it.
    I think it was chocolate Paula ........ I'm not sure ....all I know is when they left the frig was empty and the quilt was MIA ......lol.....still looking for it .... found 3 other minis I have started ...lol.....need to get on this king size Tenn. Waltz I promised my niece Id make her ......lol....... help me LORD I will get them all done .....sometime !!!!
    Crazy Quiltin Robin

Blog Entries
    I'm Back! I 'm ready to join back in this month! Whew Hoo!
    Might try my "hand quilting" on this one too!
    Last edited by QuiltingKrazy; 07-25-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Okay Krystyna, I''m in again. I've sent in my pm. I bought a couple of solid colors a few weeks ago to go with a few solids I already had. I've been wanting to try a solids quilt for a long time.

Have yall ever seen that commercial on TV where the family drags a quilt everywhere with them. They take it to the park, beach, etc... And in the final scene, you see the quilt hanging out the back of the car hatchback dragging on the ground. (IT WAS A QUILT MADE OUT OF SOLIDS.) Well, that sparked an interest in making a quilt of solids. (Which I haven't gotten around to yet.) It was either a commercial for detergent or A washer. I think.

So, there you go. I'm In, Pretty Please, Pick me. LOL, giggle.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Blog Entries
    oooo, pretty. I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Quiltin Robin View Post
    I didnt have any solids so I looked on Ebay and for under 20 dollars this is what I got ... now I have doll quilt size solids in all colors .... this month will be fun ....... yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Blog Entries
    Me too, me too! I wanna play. Pm sent last week!

Blog Entries
    I went and googled the Amish quilt, since I did not know the answer, wow, how interesting the subject is! I thought they were the "first" quilters in the USA, was very interesting information.

I am going to dig through my stash and ufo boxes, see what I have that would work, and if I can get it finished in time~ I will let you know before the deadline... AND BTW, I am ready for the quiz, I read every word!
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

I found a pattern I love with a tweek here and one there I can make it doll quilt size ...lol.... ready to go .....yesssssssss
    Crazy Quiltin Robin

I finished my top last night and I have to tell you that while I am please with how it turned out - it was a stinker make. I guess that is what I get for reducing a 12" block to make it as a 4" block. I made 16 of the blocks to get the pattern I wanted to show for the Amish DQ.

I really give credit to those of you who do the teeny-tiny pieces on a regular basis. I would be bloody and blind if I did them all the time.
    Paula
    Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.

first: Marytoddliz I thought the info was pretty facinating too and certain type blocks are more prevailant (spell check please!). I think everyone should read a paragraph or two at least .. it makes the block have more meaning for me.
    and now onto Dragonfly: Paula I am with you 100 percent on the darned tiny pieces. I feel blind as it is these days when I try to pick a seam out. Heck with 1,000 seams. Of course what always catches my eye? a postage stamp quilt. maybe its cause I won't make one. Heck with 100 triangles per 12 inch block also. Maybe I am a quick rewards type person? I lost it last night cutting my DQ. The stupid book (or is it stupid me?) kept saying cute the navy red flower x times, the ecru x times, the blue red flower blah blah blah. Great.I am using black and red andblue and kept cutting the wrong ones. I am off now at 5 am with a fresh mind to try to finish that cutting. Coffee is a magical thing. (I hope).
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

I'm in for August!
    Daffy

ok I am back. After cutting enough "wrong" pieces I finally got the correct amount. Next time I will stick to quilters cache as I think instructions there are sooo simple. not even a hard block to sew. Big trouble? I hate it. Hate the colors. Could grow on me, could decorate the recycle bin. I have sewn half. On a 12" block not hard. I stopped four times saying ugh..as in ugly. Good colors, good combos. Why do I hate it? I never ever sew much with solids. I think finger prints, way too hard to keep clean, boring? And these are NOT boring colors. What is wrong with me? Should I scrap it? suggestions? shoot-a-roonie. I am frustrated. (whine whine whine get over it..)
    Linda

Elisabrat - I vote you keep at it (that may be the fighter in me that will NOT let a block defeat me). I had to re sew one of my blocks 3 times to get the placement right but it was worth it in the end!

And I did not know anyone could quilt without coffee - maybe it is just me.
    Paula
    Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Found a book and some solid color strips and am good to go. Always fun to try new stuff

Blog Entries
    OK, I am in! I have the colors picked out my hubby agreed to cut for me and I have been doing some straight seam with very little pain.

I go to Dr on Tuesday and see what he says. My left hand is much better now. I am left handed and have been totally babying it... But My right wrist is not so good! so maybe Tuesday I will get a new set of Xrays.

I tell ya, I am so blessed, but I will never take my hands for granted again~

I will mail my DQ to my partner Nana Val on Monday, it is so great to have quilting friends.

Blog Entries
    Would love to join. I can do international.

Glad to see your healing. Maybe the right is just a bit overworked since its not your dominant hand?

OH OH I kept at and and TADA! finished my block tonight and wanted to dance. You will laugh when you see how simple it is but it was a newbie stumper for me. I am glad I didn't trash it.

Quilting with coffee? I JUST started drinking it after giving it up several years ago. I am just too tired these days to work without some. Up to two short cups a day. I can only have 1.5 liters of water a day per the doc so its hard to not do it all with coffee but some water is a must too. I think on these hot days I could down a tall glass on ice in 2.5 seconds then.. be thirsty all over a minute later. I sure hope they ease up on the old water police stuff. That coffee makesthose 4 a.m. quilting episodes well worth it. And the midnite posts to the QB easier also. I sure love quilting.
    Linda

I decided I can't miss this month. I have the fabrics and the neatest book on Amish quilts which I have never used. And to top it off, they are miniatures! Off to decide which one I'll make.
    jillnjo

ok team vote here: I do not have any more black or tone on tone black to make a back for this now. After my many mishaps in the cutting job (no comments) I simply don't. Nor do I have enough of the other colors also for the back except for yellow which in my book goes a seriously long way in small quantities. If I use it on the back it will look like well.. a bee which truly sucks. I think I have yet to see a bold yellow backed Amish quilt. I have enough black and white tiny tiny pattern fabric and enough black and white tiny tiny dots. Can I break the rules for the back or is that enough to get me tossed on my rear? We do not have stores up here. I can always order some but its never the SAME black. I gave 99 percent of my fabrics along with my sewing machine away last winter when I was physically doing not very good at all. Figured it would ease the burden on my family. Now lucky (I mean this) me I am BACK and in the game and starting from scratch using all the donations I am given. I guess its not the most popular non color out there are I have other solids. I would love to stitch the binding on Tuesday if I can. What would you use? and should you be the lucky owner would you mind the slight pattern on the back? Inquiring minds would love to know.
    Linda

First of all, there are no unbreakable rules in the swap! Just curious-what are the solid colors that you already have in the quilt? Sometimes a totally different color of binding looks fine. And you can make a bigger label in a solid color that might make it look less like a "bee"!! Go for it!!
    jillnjo

I want to join the Aug DQ swap. I will try to PM u. I can do international

Blog Entries
    Hey, Bee's are cool!

Seriously I think what ever you do will be nice. I live in the Mtns also, but I am lucky we have fabric at our local mercantile and we have a Quilt shop a few miles away. But I get my best fabric deals online.

I'm in for this month, sent a PM.
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

Blog Entries
    Hey Krystyna, I've tried to leave feed back for every swap there's been but when they last updated the site I don't have the link to do that, and I've tried what others suggestions and it still didn't work, don't know why they need to fix something that don't need fixin.
    Donna

Update: I finally figured it out! :-)
    Last edited by Lv2sew2011; 07-29-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥`..♥ Donna♥`..♥

http://countrycottagequiltsandcrafts.blogspot.com/

Marytoddliz Is the DQ you are mailing to Nana Val for July or is it already for Aug?????? I love where you live. It is one of my favorite places to go for a drive and then over to Lake Arrowhead.

Ok I am sort of cheating here. I do not have a lot of solid color material. So I am using small print on solid. I think that is what they call it. The material does look like solids but if you look closely it has a print. It turned out very nice and I am very happy with it.
    I was surprised when I googled the amish quilts on line that some of them were white. That was surprising. I was also very shocked at the prices of the quilts that they were selling. And that was the mini quilts which went from doll size up to crib size.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast