Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins

Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
Yay! So glad I could be in the swap this month after all - Thank you Krystyna! I have your package ready to go with this month's Amish DQ and the QAYG block for your soldier friend. I'm including an American Quilter magazine with a really interesting article about "Pot Holder Quilts" made for Civil War soldiers. It's a lot like what you are doing for your friend. They also had an article about Broderie Perse quilting, something I had never hear of until KrisB talked about it on this swap.

You know how you wash big quilts before gifting, so they will look cuddlier? This is not such a good idea with doll quilts. Of course I had to find out the hard way on your quilt. It does look cuddly, but also a bit wonkier. I still like it though and hope you do too!
I'm sure I'll love it. Just a heads up ... I do not wash quilts ... so you might get some decorative dog hair.
(Just kidding. I hope.)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by bjolly View Post
Just sent Buslady a PM. This is my first doll quilt swap and I am so excited. I am actually in Sipshewana IN today in the middle of Amish country. This trip and the craft festival in Napannee are my birthday gift for this year. Talk about timing! I have been able to purchase my fabric here and can't wait to get started when I get home!
Wow! Lucky you. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Have a slice of shoofly pie for me!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Swap Hosts

By the way, I don't know what happened, but I missed a LOT of posts. Somehow my subscription to this thread got turned off! So ... sorry for all the posts.
I've been happily piecing while doing a nightmarish AARP defensive driving course online. Story: my son's fiance told us that there was an express defensive driving course at the restaurant bar where she works. Yes, a DD class at a bar. The cost was $50. Well, always looking for a bargain, I looked up the AARP class online. Looked like it was $12.95 so I proceeded to sign up. Nope $24.95 if you're in New York. Oh well. Fast forward to last week. DH, son and FDIL go to the bar. They're home in an HOUR! Seems the instructor was a friend of the bar owner so all they did was fill out forms, pay the money and that was that.
Meanwhile, I am slogging through the most hellaciously boring class that requires you to telephone in a voice recognition a couple of times for every segment. I guess that's in case someone decides it is too horrid to do and pays their child to finish it for them.
I should have paid the $50.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Swap Hosts

Anyone up for sending out a couple of Angel quilts? I have a few that Chele sent me made by others, but in some ways they just don't seem appropriate to send out.
Donna H-M and Mariposa's partners disappeared. *sigh*
Old 08-01-2012, 12:32 PM

i learned in my Amish QUilt book that there are three main Amish colonies and each one had their way of colors. The mennonite colony usually used dominent back and the Lancaster colony did not use black but a deep brown. just an fyi from what I read last night.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 PM

YIPPEEEE!!! like that commercial where the little piggie with pinwheels in his hand. WHEEEEE! I am so happy its Augusts 1st! I have traded emails with my partner Hobbykat. She is ready to hop off on vacation til Sept but promises to post when she gets back. Guess I don't need to run to the post office. But I think this will be fun. I have someone to think off while I stitch that binding on now.. a name to go with a project. This I love. LOL I just reaad Lara's signature.. way too funny. My friend gifts me once a month with a box or two of fabric.. he groans. In my defence I donate 4/5ths of it but its such a fun thing to play with. You guys understand.. fabric... wow..
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM

I wish to thank everyone for their prayers and kind thoughts during my lose. I am feeling much better about things and sorry I missed the August sign-up. I will be watching for September sign-ups. All of you make the world a better place!!
Nana Val
Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 PM

I pm'd my partner (JuanitaBean) and should here from her soon.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Anyone up for sending out a couple of Angel quilts? I have a few that Chele sent me made by others, but in some ways they just don't seem appropriate to send out.
Donna H-M and Mariposa's partners disappeared. *sigh*
Krystyna - I got your back. I will make up another DQ by the weekend. Just PM me my 2nd partner and we will go from there!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 PM

Ok Amish style quilters....here is a peek at the solids I chose.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]353016[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails aug-dq-peek.jpg