Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Up July 2013 47th Doll Quilt Swap - Self Portrait and/or Where I Live

Blog Entries
    Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
    What wise woman said that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    Wow, wow, wow! Yep, gonna have to consider.....
    You know it's not that far off for me since I was the Nurse Manager of the trauma/brain trauma unit for years at our level one trauma center.....I was certified as a neuroscience nurse. And....I have been a Zen practitioner for years as well......I never thought about this for a quilt, but the juices are flowing....Thanks Krystyna!!!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    SO... I wasnt going to sign up this month so I could MAKE myselt do other things I need to do(notice I said NEED not want to) BUT then out of nowhere...I answer a phone call at work and I got hit in the head with an idea for my self portrait! WHAM! Headache now but this to shall pass! lol So sign me up! Sending PM and yes I can do international if needed! Now if could only find a out of work to go home and start digging in my stash to find my eyes, hair, lips etc! my text color is a hint to what I'm gonna look like!
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Ooftah! you find the best stuff Krystyna! Any one of those would make an amazing art piece. I
    knew you were a real brain Cogito LOL!

Robin, I'm trying to figure out how in the world your self portrait would be orange. Do loved ones call you Pumpkin? That's what I call one of my daughters sometimes, then she calls me "apple" back.

Blog Entries
    Lisa! YAY!~!!!

Lara, just got an email from All People Quilt with ... HOUSE BLOCKS!

OK. I really, really, really need to do some work now. Really.
    Krystyna

KLGLS is just an acronym I use. My name is Kathy. Glad I joined this swap - sounds like a fun group!

Blog Entries
    Kathy, we are no fun at all. We are a very boring group. That's why we need YOU to liven us up.
    (Oh. I said I was going to get to work, didn't I?)
    Krystyna

Thanks for the house blocks link Krystyna! I couldn't find the EQboutique house blocks, which you menioned over in the June swap thread. Could you tell me how you found it? My regular EQ does have a few, which I altered and set on the diagonal to use in my daughter's wedding quilt. Including a really pretty white church.

Kathy, I think you will have a great time here. It seems like the more you interact the better!

Blog Entries
    Going to PM you because I don't think I'm allowed to send a link to something you have to sign up to use.
    Krystyna

Thanks Krystyna! Those gnomes are the cutest things ever! Really great because I love paper piecing!

Bertie I forgot to answer you on how to make a label like the one on the back of my June quilt for Krystyna:
    If your computer uses Windows, then you should have a program on it called "Paint". I use Paint like crazy for so many things, designing and saving images, etc. Anyhoo, I found a free vintage postcard image by googling (in the public domain) for vintage postcard American flag. You just copy and paste your image into Paint, write whatever words you want with the paint aphabet, and then print it out with a regular old inkjet printer onto EQ printables fabric sheets. Then cut out and sew. Easy peasy!

I kinda like the idea of being a superhero with super being powers.....yeah....I'm cogitating cognito vs. cogito. LOL!
    Look out, we may have unleashed a 'super quilter'

Cognito/Cogito, baby steps (outside the box) is good, sometimes I am way back to crawling
    QB Albums: Lynnie25's Quilts; Selvedge Quilts; Lyn's Dolls Quilt Swap Quilts

Thanks, BuzzinBumble -- I'll see what I can figger out for next label I make (that's hillbilly for figure out)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnie25 View Post
    Look out, we may have unleashed a 'super quilter'

Cognito/Cogito, baby steps (outside the box) is good, sometimes I am way back to crawling
    Yes! I am going to unleash my super quilter powers for the upcoming swap. Bwwwwaaahhh! Look out!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Bwwwwaaahhh!
    Too funny Cognito/Cogito!

Hey can I get some advice from you all? Yes? Why thank you!

Our dear friend and neighbor Rita (92 years old) has a good friend who comes from England every year for a few weeks. Wendy is a lot of fun and so nice and over the years has made friends with the rest of us gals in the neighborhood. She just asked me if I would teach her some of the basics of quilting. So she and Rita will be coming over for lunch and then a fun afternoon messing around with fabric and "chin wagging" as Rita calls it.
    Wendy does have good garment sewing skills and has a very basic Janome back home. She is very crafty and is a knitter. Anyone who can knit like she does can master quilting too.
    My questions are:
    What do you all think are the most important things a beginning quilter should know? (I was thinking one would be the wonders of rotary cutting.)
    What would be some important skills to practice while she is here?
    Also, could any of you suggest a nice small project or pattern for a beginner?

I used to teach ladies' night crafts at church, but it has been a long time. Any suggestions would be great!

Blog Entries
    The 9 patch block...can learn to rotary cut strips, match seams, etc. it was the first quilt block my gramma taught me. Although back then I was taught with cardboard, pencil and scissors. Ugh.

Teach: accuracy, accuracy, accuracy! Accurate cutting, accurate 1/4" seams.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Our internet was out yesterday for all afternoon and evening...looks like I missed a lot!

BuzzinBumble, I think Cogito is onto something with the suggestion of the 9 patch for your friend. That would be a good basic lesson.

Cogito...I spelled it right now! Love that my error sparked such fun. Now I may be the boring quilter while you soar to superhero heights!

Blog Entries
    BuzzinBumble, that sounds like so much fun! I agree, go with the basic 9 patch and be sure they have those 1/4" seams down pat. OR ... who doesn't like a jelly roll race?

Cogito/Cognito - I have decided that I will be the nemesis to your quilting super hero! I am Corruptina - evil corrupter of normal quilters! Bwaaahaahaaaaa.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Ahh haa! Stay tuned for the upcoming episode of Cognito Cogito vs Corruptina in "Quilts Gone Wild"......wait, we just had that episode in May....OK, how about "The Oompah Loompah Escapade!"

Blog Entries
    You do realize Krystyna that you and I will HAVE to swap now in the upcoming future....just think how fun it will be...you can get as wild, wacky, over the top you want and I will create the most tradional hand pieced, hand appliquéd, hand quilted piece you could imagine. Lol. But of course there will be no winner cause the super hero never quite wins the battle....after all, the show must go on!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasezzz View Post
    Our internet was out yesterday for all afternoon and evening...
    ughhhh! I HATE it when that happens. I can't function and I become uncontrollably furious. I then have to go outside and garden or something so I can forget all about it......hhhhmmm, sounds like I'm addicted or something, lol!

Blog Entries
    Ah, but "good" (traditional) always triumphs over "evil" (the uncontrolled) -- UNLESS it turns out that the uncontrolled one is really a secret for for good ... the saga continues ...
    But of course there will be no winner cause the super hero never quite wins the battle....after all, the show must go on!
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    I have a million PMs in my inbox and I promise to answer them all ... but I need to get to the doctor this morning. Having weird and sometimes painful swelling in my left leg which I haven't had since I was pregnant and then having menopausal fun. So ... off for medical fun. (NOT)
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Ah, but "good" (traditional) always triumphs over "evil" (the uncontrolled) -- UNLESS it turns out that the uncontrolled one is really a secret for for good ... the saga continues ...
    Ahhhh, yes.....I am beginning to see it now...it is becoming clearer..Evil Corruptina will take Super hero Cognito Cogito (AKA boring Trad Quilter Cogito) under her wing and teach her how to unleash her wild side. The result will be quilting with abandon and creating a thing of beauty....oh it will be so good to feel free! I need help!

Blog Entries
    Cog, now I know what I'm doing for July!!!
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Ahh haa! Stay tuned for the upcoming episode of Cognito Cogito vs Corruptina in "Quilts Gone Wild"......wait, we just had that episode in May....OK, how about "The Oompah Loompah Escapade!"
    Hhhmmmm. Not the Oompah Loompah! There was a media release error. I meant the Oofdah/Ooftah Escapade! Or some such nonsense! Lol. You know, the August swap.

Blog Entries
    Cog, now I know what I'm doing for July!!!
    Hey, you gonna be my partner then?

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast