Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Up for June 2012 Doll Quilt Swap Closes Noon EST May 31st

You have a point Ronda. Humor is really in the eye of the beholder.

Krystyna, by "humorous quilts", I thought anything that brings a smile or a laugh to the viewer, in quilt form. But, I hadn't thought about that topic limiting patchwork and steering people into applique. After all you can't often say it's humorous because you put the blue square next to the peach square. Although I did see a funny patchwork quilt pattern called "Sinking Sailboat"
    http://www.amisimms.com/sisa.html

Choosing a theme must be very difficult... you want to encourage people to participate!

So I looked up "Humorous Quilts" on the internet and thought, just for fun to have you all look at some too. I think I'm not supposed to post the pictures here, just the links. Is that how the rule works if it is not your own art work?

Oh goodness, someone else beat me to it and thought the Proof of Global Warming picture would make a good quilt too!:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/231653974552562823/

This page shows some humorous quilts. The Sunbonnet Sue quilts cracked me up. You don't expect to see her misbehaving. :
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SbwUqCMr1vs/TbwSpthvi7I/AAAAAAAAEwY/KsxqaJ1lcGk/s1600/Humorous+quilts+montage%252C+at+quiltinspiration.b logspot.com.jpg
    Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 06-13-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Lara, lots of good ideas, but you're right ... we don't want to force anyone into applique (like me )
    This one needs some thought. Anyone else have an opinion?
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I agree about Applique! I've always been too afraid to try it. But it looks like my quilt for Kris this month is going to have some applique. So I've been reading up a storm about how to do it.
    My vote is that Humorous Quilts might be too limiting of a theme.

and then you have to worry about those people with a "dry " sense of humor....you know...like finding it humorous not to put on binding if one hates doing binding.....just saying...
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post
    and then you have to worry about those people with a "dry " sense of humor....you know...like finding it humorous not to put on binding if one hates doing binding.....just saying...
    Oooo! I didn't think of that one ... little wisps of batting sticking out the side ...
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post
    LOL! How funny...but then again...not so funny???? This could end up offending someone if a person's sense of humor doesn't match a partner's perhaps? I love the idea, but probably not for the whole group...I agree it's a bit limiting, and yes, how does one made a traditionally pieced quilt "funny" without it just looking like you made a big "woops"??? I love applique, but some of youse guys don't ..."yet". LOL! Just cause it scares us is no reason to not jump right in and do it cause quilters are fearless, right???

Ronda

Blog Entries
    Here's what I'm *thinking* about for August ... since I have tons of pieces cut out for an Amish type quilt ... how about SOLIDS? No prints of any kind allowed. What do you think? And if you want to add an intentional "oops" -- also known as a humility block or patch, you can.
    Krystyna

Oooh Krystyna! I've always wanted to try an all solid Amish style quilt, after years of admiring them so!

That sounds very interesting!!! I like that idea.. um did I miss the "idea" for July?
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsberry921 View Post
    That sounds very interesting!!! I like that idea.. um did I miss the "idea" for July?
    July is patriotic!
    Krystyna

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    ok, solved the foot problem by painting over the ties with 'water'. i put a face on her, bleah. and 96'd the umbrella, both size, and why would you have an umbrella while tubing? at first i saw her in a pool, but realized she'd have more fun tubing! that's the way pictures go sometimes! working title is ' i remember golden summers'. feel free to suggest a better one! we are having a wonderful day of rain, so the ladies and i took a nap. woke up and wasn't sure if it was tuesday or wednesday , so called dh. my computer wasn't working and i needed a reality check. i live a very loosely structured life, lol!
    How about a big ol straw hat, I know when I go tubing I love my straw hat! That might help with the face? Since it sounds like you did not like it?
    Resolve to be thyself, and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. Mathew Arnold 'Self-Dependence' 1822-1888

Blog Entries
    I missed the July theme too ! Patriotic sounds good . I have been missing alot ....not getting all the post!

I like the solids idea! Would love to do an Amish quilt.
    Barbara

May all your ups and downs be with needles and thread.

Blog Entries
    hmmmm...what if you're not into solids and only do liquids? just sayin'.....

here is memories of golden summers made for n2scrplvr, with joy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    please be sure to tilt your monitor to get saturated color. the back is turquoise fabric i hand dyed.
    i don't know how to foot dye it. i have trouble with feet--remember?! lol, attack of the sillies

it turned out great Nancia!
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    thanks, brenda! i'm ready for it to be on it's way!

K I love the idea for July and August.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Blog Entries
    awsome !!!! Nancia, great job on your quilting.
    Barbara

May all your ups and downs be with needles and thread.

Nancia, what a nice job you did! It's so different! I registered mine a few days ago but haven't received a # yet! She must really be backed up! Love your work!

DebbyG - What a great little mini you did! That's an awesome church and quilting too!

Blog Entries
    Nancia, Awesome job. I love how it turned out. The beads add a bit of sparkle. Even on a lazy summer day. Thanks for all the memories this little gem brings with it. (giggle)

Krystyna, also loving the theme for August. Solids/Amish. What an AwesomE show this year has been!!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Blog Entries
    OK, so far I received one PM from someone who doesn't like the solids idea. Soooooo .... I think we will do it and, as usual, the theme is optional. I will tell you this much ... the person who isn't wild about solids does phenomenal work so whatever her partner receives will be awesome.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    I got my package yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow do I LOVE it!! Thank you Abonda! It is funny how you captured "ME" in just a couple of emails. I hope I did as well for you. I brought both to work with me this morning and they are a hit. Unfortunately, I will not be mailing mine until tomorrow or Saturday. All I have to do is sew down the binding, but I had hopes of finding time for a couple more details. It is good to go now, but still in my eyes I see something more! LOL Hopefully there will be a picture at the end of this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Buslady, Abonda, Beautiful. I love your touches of handwork.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Blog Entries
    Abonda, what a summery beauty! Love the stitching on the butterfly!
    Nancia, hope you'll show us the finished quilt. She's looking good!
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    So just to be repetitive and make sure I got this right, especially since I just now got caught up on this thread, that we are doing patriotic for July and solids for August. Both being optional if we do not have fabric that will work or have no ideas correct?
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast