Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap >

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Old 10-27-2017, 04:15 PM

Those directions are right out of EQ7. I just ran it again. But isn't that too big? I think we all need to use the same measurements?????

Marcia
Old 10-27-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Those directions are right out of EQ7. I just ran it again. But isn't that too big? I think we all need to use the same measurements?????

Marcia

The Churn Dash is essentially just a 9 patch block. For it to measure 12 1/2" unfinished, each unit should measure 4 1/2" square. Just make sure that your HSTs measure 4 1/2", your strip units should measure the same. When I make the HSTs, I'll cut my squares at 5 1/4" and trim to 4 1/2" after sewing on the diagonal, cutting apart and pressing. Using 1/4" seams, it's bound to come out the right size.

Last edited by Libster; 10-27-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
ArmyLady, we can also fussy cut the center block, right? Or just leave it plain WOW. I was so tempted by a bird print I saw at Joann's for the fussy cut center.
If you fussy cut the center are you going to make the corners of the fussy cut block white on white? Can you post a picture of a churn dash block with a fussy cut center for an example?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by JayneW View Post
Can the center be pieced/paper pieced?
Jayne can you post a picture for an example so I can see what you are thinking about doing?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:59 PM

Ok, I'm in. Just to be sure, I'm using that Quilterscache pattern. Making one set of 4 12 1/2 raw blocks plus one for me. I've not entered this kind of thing before.
Battle Axe, yes you will be making a set to send and I am asking everyone to make 1 extra block of any set that you make and send so if someone's blocks were to get lost in the mail then I can use the extra blocks to send to that swapper. If you want too you can make one for yourself also. So if you were to only make one set for the swap then you would need to make 2 more blocks one for yourself and one as the extra block. Hope this answers your question.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:02 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583062[/ATTACH]I've got trouble here. The pattern for me turns out too big. Has anyone else made a test?
Battle Axe I have not made a test one yet planning on doing that this weekend but from the picture I think you just need to trim the block up to measure 12.5 Sq.

Last edited by Armylady2012; 10-27-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 10-27-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Armylady2012
moonrise yes the background fabric is to be white on white (WOW) and the churn dash is made with floral fabric, so you will only be using two fabrics to make the block, hope this answers your question.

If the block is to use two fabrics, a WOW background and a floral churn dash, then how could the center be a third fabric that is fussy cut? If someone wants to put a bird in the middle, doesn't it have to appliqued or embroidered?
Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Armylady2012
moonrise yes the background fabric is to be white on white (WOW) and the churn dash is made with floral fabric, so you will only be using two fabrics to make the block, hope this answers your question.

If the block is to use two fabrics, a WOW background and a floral churn dash, then how could the center be a third fabric that is fussy cut? If someone wants to put a bird in the middle, doesn't it have to appliqued or embroidered?
I'm wondering that as well. Seems like a quilt could look a bit odd if there were just a couple random embroidered blocks, with a color embroidered on white.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:49 PM

I'm sure whatever Army decides will be great. Whatever blocks I receive will be wonderful and I will love and cherish, because a group of ladies took the time to bless me with with their talent.
I'm sure we all have our own idea of what "spring floral" is......Every block will be different, can't you just imagine the colorways. I'm really getting excited.
Oh and I like random and fussy cut :-)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I'm wondering that as well. Seems like a quilt could look a bit odd if there were just a couple random embroidered blocks, with a color embroidered on white.
I don't think so. It's a friendship quilt, so it will have some blocks that will "stand out" and a bit of a scrappy look. I'm thinking if one wants a perfectly uniform quilt, this may not be the swap to be in. Just MHO.