Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Accountability

Accountability

Hello everyone,
    I had recently posted some pictures in the main thread for help with my fabric storage. That thread is here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t181298.html
    I am reposting those pictures here so you all see my dilemma lol
    I received a lot of positive responses and great ideas on how and where to start. I have started doing the 15 minutes a day and have made tremendous progress but I still have a long way to go. I will try and take pictures of my sewing space to share with you all and perhaps your encouragement will help me get it to where it needs to be as well.
    Hugs
    April
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good for you for making the commitment and following through. 15 minutes a day will keep you focused and not overwhelm. Can't wait to see pics!
    Linda

You have to start somewhere and I think 15 minutes a day is a good place to start.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress as an inspiration. I would be embarrassed to take pictures of my space right now ... and it seems to keep getting worse when I try to "clean up". Thanks for your encouragement!
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Keep at it and before you know it it well all be done!

Good for you. I need to figure out how to best set up my area in the spare bedroom so it can be available as a guest room when my daughter comes home for visits, and I can find things when I want them.

So Accountability... how often will you be updating us on your progress?
    Last edited by starshine; 03-22-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: additional thought

You have made good progress. It is nice to see your beautiful cabinets and counter.

I should join you! My room is just about the same...I keep saying right after I finish....then I start again...the fabics keep rising!

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    Good for you. I need to figure out how to best set up my area in the spare bedroom so it can be available as a guest room when my daughter comes home for visits, and I can find things when I want them.

So Accountability... how often will you be updating us on your progress?
    I am hoping to do an update once a week with a picture or two That should make me very accountable! I am also thinking maybe I will start a "Bad" pile for when I am bad and do not work on it. Put a piece of fabric in that and when everything is all done, draw a winner from those who supported me along the way to send my "bad girl" fabric to.....now how much of my stash do I want to loose LOLOL
    Hugs
    April

Your doing fine, I like the bad girl pile ideal, LOL
    I bet that will keep you cleaning up, LOL we never want our fabric taken because we where bad. LOL
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    What if you do a 'longer' day ?? reward yourself if you do like 3 or 4 hours with a hot fudge sundae !!!!

Power Poster
    ​I job started is a job half done! Now get back in there and do some more!

I wished I lived closer. I love to organize things. I would have a blast organizing your room for you. Put some music on and dig in. I like to clear out one portion of the room, straighten that portion and move to the next section. I have a couple of ideas of very inexpensive organizational tools that I will post for you. As you do each section, stand back and admire what you have done and how great it feels to be organized.

Here is one link: http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-77170.../dp/B001I07XU6

These are shelf dividers and they might work for your shelves. If you google shelf dividers, you will find a plethora of options.
    Last edited by hopetoquilt; 03-22-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Glad the 15 minutes is working for you LovingIz!!! .... I think I saw some woodgrain fabric there that you might use in your PC. Bet the horses galloped away first! If you haven't yet, start a bin with PC prospects, to save having to look for them later!

Remember ...
    Inch by Inch ... it's a cinch
    And Yard by Yard ... it's hard!!

Just do those 15 minute inches and you'll see your progress sooner, than you think possible!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Room Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    I wished I lived closer. I love to organize things. I would have a blast organizing your room for you. Put some music on and dig in. I like to clear out one portion of the room, straighten that portion and move to the next section. I have a couple of ideas of very inexpensive organizational tools that I will post for you. As you do each section, stand back and admire what you have done and how great it feels to be organized.

These are shelf dividers and they might work for your shelves. If you google shelf dividers, you will find a plethora of options.
    Thank you so much for the ideas of the shelf dividers. Any further organization tips are greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Glad the 15 minutes is working for you LovingIz!!! .... I think I saw some woodgrain fabric there that you might use in your PC. Bet the horses galloped away first! If you haven't yet, start a bin with PC prospects, to save having to look for them later!

Remember ...
    Inch by Inch ... it's a cinch
    And Yard by Yard ... it's hard!!

Just do those 15 minute inches and you'll see your progress sooner, than you think possible!
    That woodgrain you saw is actually a part of a planned fishing quilt lol The fabrics for my PC is contained in 4 yes 4 totes. I have been collecting horse/western fabric for a very long time and they have always gone together...at least I am a smidge organized...right?

So here are some pictures of the rooms I use for my sewing space. Can you see how badly I need to get it organized? Perhaps I need to convince hubby to build me some sort of storage solution or something...
    Hugs
    April
    Attached Images Attached Images

PS
    Please ignore the dust on the old sewing machines. Hubby decided to use his saw not too far from them and I did not get them dusted down before I took the pictures Now I have to yell at hubby...sigh LOL
    Hugs
    April

Power Poster
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella View Post
    That woodgrain you saw is actually a part of a planned fishing quilt lol The fabrics for my PC is contained in 4 yes 4 totes. I have been collecting horse/western fabric for a very long time and they have always gone together...at least I am a smidge organized...right? Hugs April
    You've got the part that's most important to you organized already! Keep an eye as you do the folding/sorting ... you'll find lots more potentials for the PC that you hadn't thought about. I know I have ... and then someone posts another block done, and I say, oh never thought of that. I have some of it hiding in my stash ... and then go digging! (like you, I do know where my cows are though!)
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Good luck and keep at it! Looks like you have a nice place to sew in and lots of potential to make it an efficient studio for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post

If you are ever in Bay Area look me up! I need a quilter who doesn't know me well (so not as embarrassed!) to help organize my space and fabric! LOL! Bet lots of quilters in your area will be contacting you for help!

Here's a great idea for you: tell Izy she is in charge of small blue pieces which need to be folded and stacked neatly! I did that with my grandangel and he chose purple and dug right in!

Terrific start !!! If you have piles of "unsure" why not donate some to your quilt guild, girl scouts etc. I am sure there are many groups that would love unwanted treasures. IMHO.
    Dance like no one is watching

Hang in there and just keekp at it. It will eventually get done and you will be so proud of yourself.

I wish I lived closer I would love to come help clean up. :-) I actually like organizing things as long as I am not rushed.
    Here is a plus once everything is organized. It took me less than 30 minutes to clean up my space this last time. :-) I was so surprised I just stood there looking for something else to put away. LOL

I'm right there with you.

I so understand how you feel. I get overwhelmed when things pile up and have a hard time making myself face my mess. I have a few messes to clean up right now.

You definitely have the right idea about working fifteen minutes a day. When I was a stay-at-home mom I found that I could set a timer for 15-20 minutes and spend that time doing as much housework as I could. It is amazing how much you can get done that way. Since there is a limit you feel like you want to beat the clock. Sometimes I would get so carried away I would continue longer. If you find yourself stuck, try the timer idea. I think having that limit spurs me to do as much as I can during that short period.

Good luck and keep up the good work. I think I will get my timer back out tomorrow.
    Sheri (zkosh)
    Those who can, teach. Those who canít teach get into some less significant line of work.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast